• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Subway @ Wal-mart

mrmike.me

Well I went to Wal-mart in West DePere tonight to grab dinner at the Subway inside. Now I know Wally World is carry friendly, but I did not know this Subway was not ... well kinds not. I had my gun on my hip and my jacket over it. The sign on the glass as you walked into Subway had a gun in a ghost buster with the words "No concealed weapons allowed in this establishment".

I took off my coat and went in with my family. I was then open carrying and had no issues. Not a single person said anything or looked at me funny. So here is my question ... are they 2A friendly or not? If I had on my belly band I could not have entered.

Sorcice

Well I went to Wal-mart in West DePere tonight to grab dinner at the Subway inside. Now I know Wally World is carry friendly, but I did not know this Subway was not ... well kinds not. I had my gun on my hip and my jacket over it. The sign on the glass as you walked into Subway had a gun in a ghost buster with the words "No concealed weapons allowed in this establishment".

I took off my coat and went in with my family. I was then open carrying and had no issues. Not a single person said anything or looked at me funny. So here is my question ... are they 2A friendly or not? If I had on my belly band I could not have entered.

Sounds like they are trying to discourage concealed because usually if your OCing you have nothing to hide. Granted its a potato po-tat-o situation but hey at least you could carry in some way.

protias

I haven't heard of any issues with Subway. Not sure they can really enforce their policy if they are inside a Walmart because they don't have a separate entrance.

RR_Broccoli

I haven't heard of any issues with Subway. Not sure they can really enforce their policy if they are inside a Walmart because they don't have a separate entrance.

There are provisions in the "signage > prohibited" section that mention "prohibited areas" as well as doors. I think they can set aside areas as long as it's adequately marked. Sorta depends on the layout of the place though I guess.

It's a dumb sign, it makes no sense to focus on the concealed part.... of "weapon" in my mind.

MKEgal

My favorite coffee shop has a "no concealed guns, bazookas, grenade launchers, or flamethrowers" sign on one door. He's fine with OC. Sounds like that Subway manager is the same way.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Having worked at Walmart I can say that Subway pays for the space to use. They are pretty much free to do what they want. They are not under the control of or bound by Walmart in any way.

That being said, I've never seen a Subway posted here in VA. I think they are all franchises.

jpm84092

It is probably time to send the management the message that "No Guns = No Money". It makes no sense to allow open carry and deny concealed carry, especially given the liability protection afforded by AB-35 (SB-93 as amended). Just my thought - others may feel differently.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
Subways in GB are all owned by Pat Buckley a retired GB Cop & current GB city alderman.

For me concealed means ..Hidden ... if they can't see it, it's not happening.