• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Legal Discussion of Immunity

qball54208

I talked to Cindy from the tavern league, when I wnet to thier web site, there was a link for CCW FAQ's, and wouldn't ya know it, it took me to a Journal Sentinel article (we know that they have put out incorrect info in the past) So, I directed her to the DOJ web site to the FAQ's.
Mission accomplished!

protias

I talked to Cindy from the tavern league, when I wnet to thier web site, there was a link for CCW FAQ's, and wouldn't ya know it, it took me to a Journal Sentinel article (we know that they have put out incorrect info in the past) So, I directed her to the DOJ web site to the FAQ's.
Mission accomplished!

So the Tavern League is going to recommend businesses take down the signs?

qball54208

I can't answer to that, however, it would be implied that it is in their best internists.
I still would like to know who wrote that article that the OP posted, how credible is it, and stuff.

Flipper

Campaign Veteran
I can't answer to that, however, it would be implied that it is in their best internists.
I still would like to know who wrote that article that the OP posted, how credible is it, and stuff.

It came from the Tavern League site under the "Government Affairs" link, then "Insurance Concerns" at bottom of page.

http://www.tlw.org/#

The author, Timothy Fenner, is a well respected attorney specializing in government law and insurance.

http://axley.com/timothy-d-fenner

Trip20

So the Tavern League is going to recommend businesses take down the signs?

Absolutely not.

Here's my last email from the Executive Director:

It is ironic that I receive E-mails from folks who say they won't bring their families into member establishments unless the sign is posted.
I used a poor example regarding signage(we give out many different types) but it is our duty to enable our members to run their business as THEY see fit as long as it is in a legal manner. I actually agree with almost everything you say except that you should respect other's view even when they differ from yours.

...and here's my response to the above:

------Original Message------
To: Pete Madland
Subject: Re: TLW Contact Form Submission
Sent: Nov 29, 2011 8:08 AM

Mr. Madland I believe I am respecting their view by obeying their signage. They're making it clear I am not welcome, so I take my business elsewhere. Essentially, I am doing as I'm told.

Pointing out the absurdity of the matter is no sign of disrespect. Most often the decision to post is a knee-jerk reaction. With a little education most people do tend to change their minds. We're seeing this with corporations, banks and small businesses.

Haven't heard back and do not expect to.

Last edited:

bigdaddy1

The director needs to be fully informed of ALL the consequences before he makes any recommendations. I am given the impression he does NOT have that information. I sent a short message via their web site letting them know there are additional liabilities not mentioned by the link.

Last edited:

Flipper

Campaign Veteran
So who is on the board of directors that hires the director?

The TLW president owns the AL Gen Dinner Club in Rhinelander. Does anyone know if that's posted?

Last edited:

Trip20

Just a note in case folks start pounding the tavern league -- Executive Director Pete Madland was nice enough to entertain a short conversation with me and remained congenial throughout. I'm saying this in the hopes that anyone reading this thread with the intent of contacting the TLW will do so politely and respectfully. He could have brushed me off or told me to piss up a rope... I'm always grateful when people at least take the time to listen.

Flipper

Campaign Veteran
Just a note in case folks start pounding the tavern league -- Executive Director Pete Madland was nice enough to entertain a short conversation with me and remained congenial throughout. I'm saying this in the hopes that anyone reading this thread with the intent of contacting the TLW will do so politely and respectfully. He could have brushed me off or told me to piss up a rope... I'm always grateful when people at least take the time to listen.

Agree, polite positive conversations only. Let the anti's get emotional, that's their only basis for discussion.