• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Need help trouble shooting my XD

fire suppressor

I am sorry for not knowing the technical term but the 1911 style safety on my XD has began sticking in the safety off position. When pressed it sticks for half a sec to about one sec then pops back out. The safety is integrated into the frame of the gun so I am not sure how to fix the problem. Any help would be appreciated

amlevin

Check your manual. There is a small spring and detent ball on the LH side of the frame that is supposed to hold the safety in posiiton whether on or off. If there is no other obstruction to the operation of the safety it's possible that the detent "cavity" in the LH half of the safety lever is filled with lint or "gunk".

There should be almost a "click" when the safety is moved to either position. Usually a good cleaning will cure this. If not, a replacement spring or safety lever.

If you don't have, or can't find, your manual, here is a link to one:

http://www.slideshare.net/btbedford/xdmanual

Note: I'm referring to #48, #51, and #52 in the diagram

massivedesign

I think he is talking about the beavertail safety.

Crud buildup can play a factor in that. There is a possibility that some debris has gotten in there from the void/cavity behind the magwell. I would give her a good bath in hot water, working the safety underwater and scrubbing where possible.

The thumb safety is only on some of the .45's... If anybody wants one, I am selling one...

Last edited:

carry for myself

three options if the beaver tail safety is sticking due to gunk or debris.

first get a can of spray air. they sell it at walmart with the computer accessories. hose it out really good, this air comes out at around 15-20 PSI and should blast anything in there out *dirt, dust , lint*

second if that doesn't work and you know how. take apart the beaver tail safety and clean it

third take it to a knowledgeable gunsmith and have him do it.

the beaver tail safety is controlled by a small spring which could be broken but if it pops out after a second or two, odds are it is still intact :)

good luck

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
If cleaning does not correct the issue, Springfield Armory has some of the best customer service around.
If they feel you need to send it in, they will send a prepaid postage at no cost to you and after they fix it for free return it to your home.

Jayd1981

I would wager it is gunked up or has grit or something in the grip safety. If you are competant with small parts, it is not that hard to fix yourself. But you will probably need a punch kit to take it apart.

carry for myself

I would wager it is gunked up or has grit or something in the grip safety. If you are competant with small parts, it is not that hard to fix yourself. But you will probably need a punch kit to take it apart.

small cleaning rod and a hammer works just like a punch kit :-D tis how i take apart my glock haha. also a few other easy punch substitutes.

small flathead found on most leathermen

single prong on needle nose pliers

if you get one piece out, you can put it against the others and whack it to use it itself as a punch.

small computer screw drivers :-D

no need to go out and buy a kit :-D just find somethin sturdy that fits in the hole and smack it with something with mass behind it. :-D i've even used my slide as a hammer in the field to remove pieces that needed punching haha

Baked on Grease

small cleaning rod and a hammer works just like a punch kit :-D tis how i take apart my glock haha. also a few other easy punch substitutes.

small flathead found on most leathermen

single prong on needle nose pliers

if you get one piece out, you can put it against the others and whack it to use it itself as a punch.

small computer screw drivers :-D

no need to go out and buy a kit :-D just find somethin sturdy that fits in the hole and smack it with something with mass behind it. :-D i've even used my slide as a hammer in the field to remove pieces that needed punching haha

Oh that poor poor gun, we need to find you a better home :p

Sent using tapatalk

carry for myself

Oh that poor poor gun, we need to find you a better home :p

Sent using tapatalk

lol this was not my carry glock haha or any glock i care about. the one i used as a hammer is my late 80's 17 which i've been torture testing for the past couple years.

so far im up to well over 3,000 rounds with no cleaning, dropping it constantly *unloaded* in mud, dirt, dragging it behind my quad. ect. has no finish left. have had to replace the rear sight a few times after losing it. frame is cracked at the mag well, BUT it still shoots :-D and accurately at that lol

fire suppressor

Thanks everyone looks like I have a good place to start. Because this is my primary carry gun and the gun I trust my life to I am anal about detail cleaning it but it is possible over the last few years some crud has got in there. Hard to pick a number but I guess I have put aprox 1500-2000 rounds through it, and it has never jambed or miss fired once :) I always wanted to know the actual term for the safety on 1911's is beaver tail the technical term?

oldkim

Safeties on firearms...

Grip Safety

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safety_(firearms)

Grip safety
A grip safety is a lever or other device situated on the grip of a firearm which must be actuated by the operator's hand, as a natural consequence of holding the firearm in a firing position, in order for the firearm to fire. It is usually similar to a manual safety in its function, but is momentary; the safety is deactivated only while the shooter maintains their hold on the grip, and is reactivated immediately once the shooter releases it. The M1911 design is a popular example of a handgun with a grip safety. The Uzi submachine gun is another example of a firearm with a grip safety.

A related grip-type safety is the decocking grip found on some H&K pistols like the P7 Series. The firearm is cocked and ready to fire only when the front of the grip is squeezed by the operator. When the grip is released, the firearm is decocked, and the single-action trigger will not cock the firearm, therefore it will not fire unless the grip is squeezed and the trigger pulled.
Another, unusual variant was found in the Ortgies semi-automatic pistols. To disengage the safety, a user would squeeze a lever until flush with the rear of the grip. The lever then would latch in the disengaged position until the user released it again by pressing a button under the slide, whereupon tension from the striker spring would push it back to the engaged position. Thus, engaging the safety also relieved some tension in the striker spring.[SUP][1][/SUP]

Passive safety device activated by simply gripping the frame.

Last edited:

sirpuma

There is a standard grip safety and an optional thumb safety offered on some XD models. If you're referring to the grip safety (in the middle of the back of the grip) it could be that some dirt has gotten into the space. The safety is fairly easy to remove but the spring can be a pain to deal with. I've never heard of it sticking, but dirt around the pin could cause a bind and make it sick. It could also be trouble with the spring, but I've put more rounds through mine and have actually abused it some and haven't had any problems with the grip safety.

If you like we can meet either at my office or at your place for your convenience and I can look at it with you. I'm available most days during the week from 8:30-4:30 and sometimes on Saturdays (though I don't usually do appointments on weekends but sometimes make exceptions.) I actually had a series of videos for full disassembly of the XD on YouTube, but pulled them along with most of my videos. I've been hosting them now on my own site to avoid all the BS that goes with YT. I recently rerecorded the video but haven't gotten around to doing my video production on it and uploading it. Let me know if you want to get together to look at your XD. You can PM me here or email me at marcus@celticarmory.com

fire suppressor

Thank you sirpuma I think we met up once before when I got my cleaning brush stuck in my bushmaster I had my tail between my legs for a while after that one. I'll send you a PM but might take me a a few days. I have some on going family emergency's I am trying to deal with and am going to be in Vegas for most of next week.