Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Study in contrast: Occupy v. open carry in Olympia

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    1,863

    Study in contrast: Occupy v. open carry in Olympia

    A study in contrast: Occupy protesters v. gun rights activists

    The past two days of Occupy movement protests in Olympia provide a start contrast to a turnout on the state capitol campus in January 2010 by hundreds of gun rights activists, many of whom were armed openly.

    http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-i...ghts-activists
    Last edited by Dave Workman; 11-30-2011 at 11:01 AM.

  2. #2
    Regular Member Orion's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Detroit
    Posts
    108
    +1
    Great article.

  3. #3
    Activist Member golddigger14s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Lacey, Washington, USA
    Posts
    1,990
    Just curious why you only mention the 2010 event, and not the 2011?
    "The beauty of the Second Amenment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
    "Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux
    http://nwfood.shelfreliance.com

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    1,863
    Quote Originally Posted by golddigger14s View Post
    Just curious why you only mention the 2010 event, and not the 2011?
    I am referring specifically to the public hearing inside the legislative building, not the two rallies out on the green. Vast difference.

    Armed citizens were INSIDE the Senate office building. At the rallies, people just walked on the grass and had a good time this year and last.

  5. #5
    Regular Member DEROS72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    SEATAC, Washington, USA
    Posts
    2,819
    Totally different events.I was the one standing next to Fachetelli when he went to talk to WSP.The entire group was extrmely well mannered,non disruptive etc.I could tell Fachetelli was pissed when the officer told him we were within our rights.I believe out of several hundred there to protest the assault weapons ban only 12 or so signed up to speak in favor of the ban.Very disturbing to Adam kline.Senator Pam Roach(keynote speaker at our 2011 2a rally) was awesome in ripping his logic to threads. This was a totally different function than the 2a rallys we had on the captital grounds. The pic here is from that hearing January 2010.We didn't have our 2a rallys untill april.
    Last edited by DEROS72; 11-30-2011 at 04:44 PM.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Bellevue, WA, ,
    Posts
    144
    Just to play devil's advocate, sometimes change requires more than being passive. A good example would be Rosa Parks who sat in front of the bus. Do you think she would have gotten much attention if she held up a sign in front of city hall?


  7. #7
    Campaign Veteran OlGutshotWilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Snohomish, WA, ,
    Posts
    435
    Your point may be to play devils advocate, but here is what I see when I look at the picture.

    In the first picture I see armed Americans standing up for their rights. We tend to be peaceful citizens, but the Government/politicians/Police know that they have constitutional limits, and messing with a very large armed citizenry would be as problematic as Yamamoto's take on invading America. He was aware that there would be a massive armed populace that he would have to subdue.

    In the second picture I see this country as it could be without the Constitution and its amendments.

    That is the first thought that went through my head upon looking at your pictures.
    THE SECOND AMENDMENT: Washington didn't use his right to free speech to defeat the British, he shot them.
    ---------------------------------------------
    Government is not reason; it is not eloquent -- it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master."
    --George Washington,
    first U.S. president

  8. #8
    Regular Member amzbrady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Marysville, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,522
    Quote Originally Posted by jchen012 View Post
    Just to play devil's advocate, sometimes change requires more than being passive. A good example would be Rosa Parks who sat in front of the bus. Do you think she would have gotten much attention if she held up a sign in front of city hall?

    Quote Originally Posted by OlGutshotWilly View Post
    Your point may be to play devils advocate, but here is what I see when I look at the picture.

    In the first picture I see armed Americans standing up for their rights. We tend to be peaceful citizens, but the Government/politicians/Police know that they have constitutional limits, and messing with a very large armed citizenry would be as problematic as Yamamoto's take on invading America. He was aware that there would be a massive armed populace that he would have to subdue.

    In the second picture I see this country as it could be without the Constitution and its amendments.

    That is the first thought that went through my head upon looking at your pictures.
    I see, In the first picture, park, families, happy, aaaaawwwwww..... :*)
    Second picture, Downtown, rough, miserable, Kid who wasnt taken to a happy family park enough, aaaaaawwwwwww..... :*(
    If you voted for Obama to prove you are not a racist...
    what will you do now to prove you are not stupid?

    "The American people will never knowingly adopt socialism. But, under the name of "liberalism," they will adopt every fragment of the socialist program, until one day America will be a socialist nation, without knowing how it happened." - Norman Thomas

    "They who can who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve niether liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin

  9. #9
    Campaign Veteran Bookman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
    Posts
    1,424
    Great article, Dave! I read it while DEROS was getting his oil changed. As a matter of fact, he read it off my iPhone while we were having lunch. I subscribe to your column and really love reading your stuff. Keep up the good work!
    "All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke


    "I like people who stand on the Constitution... unless they're using it to wipe their feet." - Jon E Hutcherson

  10. #10
    Regular Member 1245A Defender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    north mason county, Washington, USA
    Posts
    4,381

    wait,,what,, huh?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
    Great article, Dave! I read it while DEROS was getting his oil changed. As a matter of fact, he read it off my iPhone while we were having lunch. I subscribe to your column and really love reading your stuff. Keep up the good work!

    In his hair????

    Or did he buy a CAR???

    I like and read all of workmans articals too, glad he is our advocate!!!
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

    “If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

    Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

    All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Long gone
    Posts
    2,575
    Quote Originally Posted by 1245A Defender View Post
    In his hair????

    Or did he buy a CAR???

    I like and read all of workmans articals too, glad he is our advocate!!!
    Car what car?????

  12. #12
    Campaign Veteran Bookman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
    Posts
    1,424
    DEROS was at a DR appt. I read the artical while waiting for him.
    "All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke


    "I like people who stand on the Constitution... unless they're using it to wipe their feet." - Jon E Hutcherson

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •