• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

west bend and CCW - council meeting 12/5 6:30pm city hall

bmwguy11

If you live in the west bend area, we could use some more 2nd amendment supporters to show up to this meeting. The city common council is going to be hearing 2 items related to CCW. The first is the removal of one of the library board members who was just appointed to their position, it might be based partly upon their vote to post no guns signs at the west bend library. (The measure passed and west bend library is currently posted) The other is a report from the liberal alderwoman who voted against allowing CCW in the city of west bend who is also on the library board, and she also voted against allowing CCW on the library board. I believe they will be asking questions as to why she and the library board voted they way they did, and there may be opportunity for public to speak on the matters.

The Mayor and common council are the ones who decide who is appointed to the library board. The library board voted 5-3 to post signs. West Bend common council voted 6-2 to not post public buildings. The library is a separate entity and can do something different than what the city does, however, there are issues I have with that. Primarily that west bend and washington county are the most republican in the entire state. (75% of the population) At both the city council meeting and the library board meeting only people who support the 2nd amendment and spoke AGAINST posting actually showed up. In either case not a single person actually showed up to say they wanted the library or city to post.

The argument used by this liberal alderwoman and by the people on the library board were as follows:

-I don't like guns, and I don't think guns should be around children.
-A library is no place for guns.
-The legislation must have overlooked libraries when they made this law and we'll have to get them to add libraries to the list of places guns are banned.
-Guns shouldn't be here because we have children and families here.

That is their talking points. No facts. No actual information. Just rhetoric and "feeling/emotion". This is an opportunity to make a change here, and this could get some press coverage depending how this goes. The more people that hear about this and show up to support the 2nd amendment, the more attention it will garner and the more we'll get people involved. I am also working on gathering petition signatures to present to the Mayor, common council, and the library board, showing people do NOT want signs to be posted. Look for a meet and greet in west bend possibly as soon as this weekend in order to start gathering signatures.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&r...a=X&oi=mode_link&ct=mode&cd=3&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAg

Park in the back lot on Eder Lane and enter in through that side of the building then go up the stairs.

PS. This building is NOT posted per city of west bend so you can carry. Part of the building is a police station, though you don't need to go through that part of the building to get to the council chambers.

If you CANNOT attend, please send an email to the mayor, or if you live in west bend, email your alderperson. I need my 2nd amendment supporters to make some noise on this!

Mayor:
mayor@ci.west-bend.wi.us
KRAIG SADOWNIKOW

Common council:
http://www.ci.west-bend.wi.us/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=27&Itemid=99

City map if you don't know what district you live in:
http://www.ci.west-bend.wi.us/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_download&gid=2569&Itemid=80

Last edited:

paul@paul-fisher.com

When this argument came up in Elkhorn (There are children in the library and therefore they shouldn't play with guns).

The Walworth County Sheriff Captain who is also an Elkhorn Alderman said "They open carry in Wal-Mart every day and there are many children there and there has never been a problem".

I haven't actually been to the library in Elkhorn recently but since he is the city representative on the library board, I would think he would of voted against it as well.

He also suggested/voted that city employees should be allowed to arm themselves.

bmwguy11

West Bend did in fact change their employee handbook to allow city employees to carry. Our police chief also seems to support allowing carry. In fact at the library board meeting it was mentioned that he basically felt the library should not post.

It begs the question... aside from their personal feelings, who do they think they are representing when it comes to posting?

thieltech

i wish i didnt have to work , my 2 brothers and i would be there in a heart beat ! some women and men for that matter are so miss informed about guns ! guns will be apart of society more and more as time goes on .

bmwguy11

Bump for a reminder for show of support. It sounds like some anti-2nd amendment people will be attending this meeting.

Last edited: