• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How far does the liability go for business that post?

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
I don't think so, Tim....

.... You seem to think it doesn't go far enough.)
You seem to think you can put words in my mouth.

In the coffee case, the lawsuit was about a product the injured party purchased from the store.
We all know that; so what?

Holding a store owner liable for 3rd party action would be like the woman successfully suing Ford for making the car it happened in and the maker of the sweatpants that stuck to her body with hot coffee.
No, it would be like a woman suing Ford when they told her she couldn't wear her seat belt while driving and she was subsequently injured in an accident.

Teej

We're straying off here. I'm not saying the hypothetical store owner would _never_ be liable, I'm just not buying the "automatically liable with no limit" argument.

Premises liability law is what would apply, and in order to stick the store owner with liability you're going to have to come up with a better argument than "He didn't let me carry my gun." You'll have better luck finding a store owner liable if they ignore basic safety precautions in a high crime area. If you try to sue a store owner in Brookfield when there's been no customer robbed in a nearby store in the area in the past 6 months, you're not gonna get very far.

rcav8r

As someone pointed out to me on facebook, don't count on the insurance company to pay you. If the insurance company demands the business posts, then something happens as a result of that posting, then the insurance company can say "you didn't enforce the no weapons policy, so we're not going to cover you".

The bigger the liability, the more likely this will play out.

See how that's a double edged sword for the business owner?