• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CHP, Self-Defense apparently failed Richmonder

Repeater

The victim, Blaine Tyler, had a valid CHP and was carrying concealed, when he was murdered at the BP station in Westover Hills. His gun was taken from him afterwards.

Second teen charged in South Richmond killing
Richmond police Maj. Steve Drew today also confirmed that Tyler, a customer at the gas station, was fatally shot after his gun was taken from him during a struggle. Drew declined to say whether Tyler was shot with his weapon, citing the ongoing investigation.

Tyler had a concealed-carry permit, and his wife said he carried his gun with him almost everywhere he went for protection, usually in a holster that he would cover up with his clothing.

Police said Tyler was shot once and died at the store. The medical examiner's office identified the cause of death as a “gunshot wound to chest and abdomen.”

Sophia Tyler said her husband bought a gun earlier this year. “Something happened to him in the past where he felt defenseless, and he felt like he needed to carry one,” she said.

Sophia Tyler described her husband as a social man who had no enemies. She said she could not have asked for a better companion.

“They just took him,” she said.

blaine-tyler

[size=+1]Blaine Tyler[/size]

mk4

try 'em, convict 'em and sentence 'em as adults! lock 'em up and toss the keys!
consecutive life sentences in the darkest hole available, with no chance for parole.

gm2max

try 'em, convict 'em and sentence 'em as adults! lock 'em up and toss the keys!
consecutive life sentences in the darkest hole available, with no chance for parole.

Does anyone do the death penalty in VA? (Non-sarcastic)

You kill, be killed, IN MY OPINION

mk4

pretty sure it's lethal injection here, but i don't know if any any minor, tried and convicted as an adult, has had that sentence imposed. it might even be prohibited. i dunno...

Last edited:

wylde007

pretty sure it's lethal injection here, but i don't know if any any minor, tried and convicted as an adult, has had that sentence imposed. it might even be prohibited. i dunno...
The closest relevant event I can find of this sort is the Mario Murphy murder-for-hire case from 1991.

In 1993 Murphy was sentenced to death by lethal injection, but he was 19 at the time. At least one of his cohorts, Aaron Turner (age 17), plead guilty and received a life term. The only thing which saves him was that Murphy dealt the death blow and also initiated the conspiracy to murder.

Search ["aaron turner" murder 1991 sentencing] on Google and look for the April 20, 1993 issue of the Freelance Star.

Best I could do for now.

mk4

thanks, wylde.

so Murphy was tried and convicted as an adult and got the top penalty. i presume sentence hasn't yet been executed, with all the usual appeals still in progress? in which case, do you know if the scotus has upheld a death penalty sentence through to imposition?

Last edited:

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
thanks, wylde.

so Murphy was tried and convicted as an adult and got the top penalty. i presume sentence hasn't yet been executed, with all the usual appeals still in progress? in which case, do you know if the scotus has upheld a death penalty sentence through to imposition?

In 2005, the Supreme Court decided Roper v. Simmons. They held that executing an individual who was under 18 at the time of the crime is a violation of the 8th and 14th amendments. Cite and details below:

http://www.oyez.org/cases/2000-2009/2004/2004_03_633

mk4

^^^
thanks for confirming what i kinda expected.

mk4

I'd rather my tax money go elsewhere than to feed, clothe, and sustain some low-life subhuman maggots. Prefer to see them executed.

understood.
it's a constitutional issue at the moment, tho. see the cite by thebigsd above.

wylde007

Like I said, Murphy was 19 at the time the crime was committed. Turner and Hall were juveniles and got life sentences (no parole, I think).

Murphy appealed claiming status as a Mexican national and that his civil rights had been violated by not being allowed to communicate (or being told he had the "right" to do so) with the Mexican consulate or something. Governor Allen denied the claims and Murphy was executed on September 17, 1997.

To my knowledge, both Aaron Turner and James Hall are still incarcerated, Turner at the Greensville Correctional Facility in Jarrett and Hall either at St. Brides or Powhatan.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I'd rather my tax money go elsewhere than to feed, clothe, and sustain some low-life subhuman maggots. Prefer to see them executed.

In a perfect world I'd agree, but considering the number of people who are found to be completely innocent years later, might be good to waste a little of that tax money rather than spend it on Dick Saslaw's new stationary.

Public Defenders, Corrupt Cops and brainless Commonwealth Attorneys can be a little overwhelming. Throw in a Soccer Mom or two on the Jury and a Judge ready to retire...might have to drink the Hemlock.

Sheriff

I'm going out on a limb here, and many of you may not agree.

I wonder if Tyler's CHP permit actually caused him and the other guy to lose their lives? Tyler pulled his gun and the punk fired first. Moving on, the punk had nothing to lose because he had already shot one person, he shot the second person at the end of the second robbery.

We're having a lot of robberies by gun in Charlottesville. So far nobody has been shot because they aren't armed and don't fight back.

Sangre

From what I've been told, and have read some places (no cite right now and I can't claim that this is 100% accurate) it actually ends up costing significantly more to execute as opposed to give a life sentence. I personally agree with the death penalty, but if it really does cost so much more I do not like that.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
In a perfect world I'd agree, but considering the number of people who are found to be completely innocent years later, might be good to waste a little of that tax money rather than spend it on Dick Saslaw's new stationary.

Public Defenders, Corrupt Cops and brainless Commonwealth Attorneys can be a little overwhelming. Throw in a Soccer Mom or two on the Jury and a Judge ready to retire...might have to drink the Hemlock.

I understand all of what you wrote. I was simply echoing my stance on matters of the kind. Our system of justice, though perhaps the best in the world is certainly not perfect because it is operated by human beings. I also despise the thought of executing an innocent man and thank God that is a rarity.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Have not seen anything to indicate that the victim had or did not have his gun with him.

A permit and CCing does not in any way guarantee your safety. It does afford you the possibility of being able to defend yourself, that you would not otherwise have.

I had thought that I had seen an earlier report, that the two were arguing outside - can't find that now though.

Have to wonder if the victim had been OCing and maintaining good situational awareness if this all might have been avoided. I think that is a very real possibility. Don't know near enough to speculate beyond that though.

I will not rant, condemn and call for blood. The system will handle the disposition of this case; I hope that fair and impartial justice is the outcome. As it stand now, no one wins - we are all the lesser.