• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Want to buy a Jetpack?

markand

Buying a jetpack isn't such a fanciful idea at all. Another company, Martin Aircraft, has developed a "jetpack" and is close to full quantity manufacturing and sales, if not already in that cycle. As I recall, they were going to certify the device in the US as an ultralight aircraft, as its very light and only holds 5 gallons of fuel, enough for about an hour of flight. Cost would be about $100 K. Kind of steep for me personally (read "No way!"), but not all that much for an aircraft these days. It's actually not powered by a jet engine, but by motor driven fans. Doesn't look like its designed to fly alongside fighters, but you can take off and land vertically. It doesn't have to be tossed out of a cargo plane to take off and can land on its own. An emergency chute is part of the safety equipment, but isn't required to land.

In addition to the recreational version, there's apparently interest from one or more military organizations. A VTOL aircraft with hover capability would be attractive for a variety of military missions including unmanned, armed or unarmed recon, delivery of supplies to a specific location with pinpoint accuracy, removal of wounded from a "hot" battle area, rescue from rugged locations where helicopters aren't feasible, insertion of special forces personnel, etc. Several of these things could be transported to a take off point in the back of a truck, on a small trailer towed by a HUMVEE or even on a horse drawn wagon (not far fetched at all). Pretty neat device.

Link: http://martinjetpack.com/

since9

Campaign Veteran
A "jetpack" is actually a rocket, which is very efficient when it comes to moving massive freight out of a gravity well, or propelling a payload with the highest of impulse acceleration.

It sucks when moving cargo, including human, from point to point.

Actual microjets are also inefficient. The smaller the turbine, the least efficient it is, which is why modern jets have two large ones, not four small ones.

Turbo-diesel-powered helicopter blades are best suited for personal propulsion. We're talking four hours of flight time, not one. Counter-rotating blades for better stability/handling.