Thread: tul-ammo........weak....junk.

Regular Member carry for myself's Avatar

tul-ammo........weak....junk.

so today i took my 23 out to the range. with some stock Federal premium 180g FMJ's .

had about 200 rounds to play with so ran through about 150. and my hand really hurt due to my lack of grip sleeve. decided to keep 50 for when the zombies come *spare bucket*. as i was packing up my range bag i noticed a 50 round box of tul-ammo i had bought a few months back and decided to get rid of it.

the ammo was normal aluminum casing 180g FMJ. so i loaded up and went back to my target *soda cans* and took aim. fired. and something was different. the recoil did not hurt my sore hand. so i fired 5 rounds single handed and the recoil was at LEAST 50% less than the federal. even though they are both 180g.

fired the rest of the ammo and started collecting my brass *for more reloading fun later*. as i was doing this i noticed that 80% of the casings from the tull ammo were either split, cracked or warped after being fired. also on a side note the tull ammo was much less than accurate.

suffice to say tul-amo is junk. and i probably would only use it if i were letting my girlfriend play with my glock because she doesn't like the recoil of .40S&W and to be honest. tul-ammo felt like .380 reloads at best.

so has anyone else noticed how weak this ammo is?>
    i would rather run out of blood, breath and life. and die fighting. than run out of ammo , and die with my pants down -Tom Scantas

I've never had a problem with it, except for how dirty it made my guns. Never noticed any difference in recoil compared to other target ammo. I don't use it anymore, though, as I started reloading, so I spend a few more bucks to get brass cased ammo so I can reuse the casings.

I have had a problem with Monarch ammo before. 1 box I had felt like there was no power in the ammo... then I heard a *poomf*, halfway through the box. I had squib load. I got the projectile out and got rid of that Monarch crap.

I'm sure it had to do with a production lot, or even just a few boxes. As I've heard good things about Monarch ammo. Just like Federal had a bad batch of .45 recently, I'm willing to bet Monarch had a bad batch of ammo as well.

Most likely, you just got a bad batch of TulAmmo, because I, and many others I know, never had an issue like your describing. Watch out for squib loads when shooting ammo that "doesn't feel right". That's a boom waiting to happen if you don't catch it. Listen for the *Pooomf*. If it's dramatically reduced recoil like your feeling, I would call customer service and give them the serial/lot number of the box and let them know. I wouldn't shoot any more of that box.

Quote Originally Posted by carry for myself View Post
    the ammo was normal aluminum casing 180g FMJ.
    I've never seen any TulaAmmo with aluminum casing. All I ever see is the steel cased stuff with a polymer coating.

I bought 1000 rounds of steel-cased Tula .223 from Cabelas. This stuff will fail to extract from a clean Armalite AR within 20 rounds. It will fail to extract from a clean Del-Ton on the very first round. It will fail to extract from a stainless Ruger Mini-14 within a few hundred rounds. It is absolutely ridiculous. I save it for the Mini-14 and for plinking use only. You can not trust it.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    I bought 1000 rounds of steel-cased Tula .223 from Cabelas. This stuff will fail to extract from a clean Armalite AR within 20 rounds. It will fail to extract from a clean Del-Ton on the very first round. It will fail to extract from a stainless Ruger Mini-14 within a few hundred rounds. It is absolutely ridiculous. I save it for the Mini-14 and for plinking use only. You can not trust it.
    I've heard the same thing from others, but I have no problem with .223 TulAmmo with an Olympic Arms AR-15... other than how freaking dirty the gun is after shooting.

You guys know the old phrase, "you get what you pay for." There's a reason it's cheap. I personally haven't had any problems with it, but I also wouldn't stake my life on it.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post
    You guys know the old phrase, "you get what you pay for." There's a reason it's cheap....
    Cheap, yes. I expected low-quality. For example, when I benched it through a Ruger No. 1-V, it had three times the group size of Winchester 55-grain FMJ. This I expect and accept with no complaints. But to jam every semi-automatic .223 I own, including a Ruger Mini-14, says that it fails to meet my criteria and deserves this feedback. There is a line between cheap ammo and cheap crap. Tula is the latter.
    Last edited by MAC702; 11-30-2011 at 05:23 PM.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

I have never had any problems with it, it is just dirty. Granted I wouldn't carry it in my daily but for targets no complaints here.

I have large amounts of this so-called "Tula Ammo" laying about, and my 7.62x39mm Arsenal SLR-95 has never had a single problem with it. The .45 ACP "Wolf" Ammo also runs without a single hiccup in my Kimber Custom II.

I guess some ammo is "Bad", while some is "Good". High Price doesn't always mean quality, and low price doesn't always mean junk. Shop Accordingly.

tul ammo is crap.

I bought a box from walmart about a year ago to run in my 1911. 230gr fmj rounds. fired 20 or so rounds with expected horrible groups. Then just a simple click. primer was struck but no BANG so i rrload it and fire again. Nothing but a loud CLICK. gave the rest of them away and havnt considered shooting it ever since. that stuff is worth what you pay for it, almost nothing!

Buddy of mine bought 500 rounds of .223 from CTD.com and it never failed to feed, fire or eject from how DPMS AR-15. Just had to clean the buhgeezus out of it when he was done. It was his first homebuild too. He did have FTE's for the first 10 or so rounds but that was an issue with the gas key/gas tube alignment. Once that was fixed, no further issues.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk
    "I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six..."

[ Kyd: "I think I'm gonna have "13 1/2" tattooed on my shoulder..."

Me: "Why the hell would you do that?"

Kyd: "Thats one judge, 12 jurors, and a half a chance I'm gonna get off..." ]

I had about 100 rds of .45 crap ammo that I wanted to shoot. They were out of the Winchester white box (which I usually shoot at the range). Out of 50 that I shot, had three fail to fire, even after the second attempt. Inaccurate, and from what it felt, varying powder loads, preventing the empty from ejecting and when it got to the last round, it wouldn't lock the slide back. So all of that hassle, then I had to go home and clean the gun like crazy. That is some dirty ammo.

I buy this stuff all the time for target practice. I love it cause it's cheap and has never failed to fire or eject a spent casing in my Glock 22 .40 s&w. I tried using the Federal 180 gr. FMJ but every 4 to 5 rounds the spent casing would get stuck while ejecting. I for one love the TulAmmo just for playing around with.

Ive never had any problems shooting the Tula or Wolf .40 ammo in My Sig's.

However, I think they are actually loaded a little hotter than quality 180 gr. .40 ammo.
    Just seems to have a little extra recoil on my Sig 229.

It always went bang and ejected fine though.
    "Let your gun be your constant companion during your walks" ~Thomas Jefferson

Good cheap 22 ammo

Quote Originally Posted by Kaeguri View Post
    I had about 100 rds of .45 crap ammo that I wanted to shoot. They were out of the Winchester white box (which I usually shoot at the range). Out of 50 that I shot, had three fail to fire, even after the second attempt. Inaccurate, and from what it felt, varying powder loads, preventing the empty from ejecting and when it got to the last round, it wouldn't lock the slide back. So all of that hassle, then I had to go home and clean the gun like crazy. That is some dirty ammo.
    In the mid 90s I loved shooting the Winchester white box 22 in my 10-22s. It was cheap and I don't recall ever having had a problem with it. I still have a couple thousand rounds of it.