• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bill introduced to protect WA gun owners at work

Dave Workman

Bill introduced to protect WA gun owners at work introduced

Legislation that would protect employees from losing their jobs for having firearms locked in their vehicles on company property has been introduced in Olympia by a bi-partisan group of almost 20 House members led by Democrat Brian Blake (91th District) and Republican Joel Kretz (7th District).

http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-...d-to-protect-wa-gun-owners-at-work-introduced

dadada

Sounds like a very good step in the right direction. I have to admit I was shocked when I saw how many democrats were involved. Wonder what the angle is for them?

MadHatter66

What would be interesting is to see how well county/city's take this for their employees... While it says "No employer may discharge or discipline an employee..." but I wonder if they will try to argue it doesn't apply to them...

amzbrady

I would rather see them have to provide lock boxes so my firearm is not left unattended in an unattended parking lot. Lots of vehicle prowls going on right now. I dont leave anything worth stealing in my vehicle and try not to have to leave my firearm in my car. I went to the federal couthouse in Richland, and this was the first time in a LONG time I have left the ammo, in the vehicle with my firearm, although made it so they would have to work to find it.

Metalhead47

I would rather see them have to provide lock boxes so my firearm is not left unattended in an unattended parking lot. Lots of vehicle prowls going on right now. I dont leave anything worth stealing in my vehicle and try not to have to leave my firearm in my car. I went to the federal couthouse in Richland, and this was the first time in a LONG time I have left the ammo, in the vehicle with my firearm, although made it so they would have to work to find it.

Unless you're driving a "smart" car, and even maybe then, you've got room somewhere for a lockbox. That, some grade-8 bolts, & red locktite, and no one's stealing your gun without either an angle grinder, which might look suspicious, or stealing the whole car, which is a bigger problem than just the gun.

amzbrady

Unless you're driving a "smart" car, and even maybe then, you've got room somewhere for a lockbox. That, some grade-8 bolts, & red locktite, and no one's stealing your gun without either an angle grinder, which might look suspicious, or stealing the whole car, which is a bigger problem than just the gun.

I could care less if they steal my car, I just dont want them stealing my gun. My car is fully covered.
besides, if they steal my car, I can call a cab.
What am supposed to do if they steal my gun, call a cop?

Last edited:

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States

Hey! You leave my ride alone!

You're right, though. While there isn't a lot of cargo room in a SMART car, there is still enough to attach a lock box with a cable...

... which I need to do.

1245A Defender

well,,,

I would never leave a Whole gun in my car...
I can easily strip off the slide, with barrel and loaded round and stuff that in my pocket.
I can leave the frame and mag behind.
Someone might want to have them, but they are useless.

Last edited:

Metalhead47

You're right, though. While there isn't a lot of cargo room in a SMART car, there is still enough to attach a lock box with a cable...

... which I need to do.

They cease bein' all that smart when the driver ends up looking, well, dumb, trying to figure out how to haul something that even my weird lil half-Samurai could fit with ease. ;)

Cables are easily defeated. Good set of bolt cutters or even a battery-powered grinder will go thru one in seconds. Great big bolts thru metal, not so much.

Lammo

... which I need to do.

I have a friend who had a SMART car. He totaled it. Ran into a deer tick. :)

(stolen from Larry the Cable Guy).

Metalhead47

I have a friend who had a SMART car. He totaled it. Ran into a deer tick. :)

(stolen from Larry the Cable Guy).

Back in the day when vw beetles were all the rage, a couple of big strong guys could move one to a different parking spot... I've always wondered if it'd be possible to tip a fortwo up on its tailgate & make it stay there....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

geojohn

Dave,

Do you know if this is in response to folks actually getting fired for having a gun in their car at their workplace? It would seem to have a greater chance of passing if they can point to instances of this happening. In any case, it looks like a positive step.