Thread: List your open carry experiences??

Question List your open carry experiences??

I'm at work reading through the "List your open carry experiences", and Im kinda looking for the bad experiences to maybe learn something.. How to handle certain situations you guys might have encountered and a idea hit me...

It would be nice to have a sticky thread on the bad experiences.. Maybe bad is the wrong word but say the ones that do have issues or concerns... The one thread is over 100 pages now...

Just a idea to help educate the newbies like me.... I like to learn from others mistakes or encounters and how they handled them.. Thanks for your time. Sorry if it's a bad idea I've had a few!
    "The people have the right to keep and bear arms for security, defense, hunting, recreation or any other lawful purpose." - Article 1, Section 25

I am fairly new here, too. Since I take this seriously, as do you, I read the entire thread. You should too, even if it takes you a while. It'll go quicker than you think. I also use other resources, namely migunowners.org and michiganopencarry.org.

There are many interesting posts, and some include audio and/or video recording links to actual experiences when confronted by LEOs. Don't count on someone else filtering out things for you. Many "good encounters" will have very valuable information in them. If you only read "bad encounters" you will miss those. Read, listen, and watch for yourself. In my opinion, if you truly want to learn, you will avail yourself of everything you can.

Welcome. Oh, and get a voice recorder.
    Last edited by griffin; 11-30-2011 at 11:15 PM.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    I am fairly new here, too. Since I take this seriously, as do you, I read the entire thread. You should too, even if it takes you a while. It'll go quicker than you think. I also use other resources, namely migunowners.org and michiganopencarry.org.

There are many interesting posts, and some include audio and/or video recording links to actual experiences when confronted by LEOs. Don't count on someone else filtering out things for you. Many "good encounters" will have very valuable information in them. If you only read "bad encounters" you will miss those. Read, listen, and watch for yourself. In my opinion, if you truly want to learn, you will avail yourself of everything you can.

Welcome. Oh, and get a voice recorder.
    I appreciate your reply, I already have a recorder and OC on a regular basis. I don't see no harm in breaking down the good and the bad tho...
    "The people have the right to keep and bear arms for security, defense, hunting, recreation or any other lawful purpose." - Article 1, Section 25

The more colorful experiences usually get their own thread so they can be discussed without derailing the experiences thread. Bad experiences are much less common than they used to be so those types of threads are rather rare lately. I began to OC in 2010 and had 3 or 4 encounters with LEO. I have had 0 interactions with LEO the past 12+ months.
    "I like users who quote smellslikemichigan in their signature lines." - fozzy71

If you want to see some good "interesting" interactions with LEO, look up things on youtube and you will find a lot from across the country. And the most common theme in all of them is "wash, rinse, repeat" seems like everyone follows those rules. I know a lot of states are different from michigans laws when carrying but its a good way to see how others handle encounters with LEO or different people. The best thing to do is know the laws inside and out. Even if you cant quote them but you start throwing sentances at people like "well I can carry under 28.422 even without a CPL, but a CPL allows me to carry in places listed in 750.234d with out violating any laws. Also I can carry in my car in accordance with 750.231a without violating 750.227" Even if you cant quote the laws word for word, if you know what youre referencing you can even make a cop go "damn cant mess with him, he knows his stuff" because they dont study the firearms laws like we do. Or even when talking to people, the average person doesnt even know these laws exist so knowing your stuff and sounding confident in it can go a long way with someone who thinks you cant do that.

I also made screen prints of the MCLs from the legislature website that pertain to carry and I keep it in my car in case I have to point out that I legally can do what I'm doing, and it makes a quick reference.

Quote Originally Posted by Yance View Post
    If you want to see some good "interesting" interactions with LEO, look up things on youtube and you will find a lot from across the country. And the most common theme in all of them is "wash, rinse, repeat" seems like everyone follows those rules. I know a lot of states are different from michigans laws when carrying but its a good way to see how others handle encounters with LEO or different people. The best thing to do is know the laws inside and out. Even if you cant quote them but you start throwing sentances at people like "well I can carry under 28.422 even without a CPL, but a CPL allows me to carry in places listed in 750.234d with out violating any laws. Also I can carry in my car in accordance with 750.231a without violating 750.227" Even if you cant quote the laws word for word, if you know what youre referencing you can even make a cop go "damn cant mess with him, he knows his stuff" because they dont study the firearms laws like we do. Or even when talking to people, the average person doesnt even know these laws exist so knowing your stuff and sounding confident in it can go a long way with someone who thinks you cant do that.

I also made screen prints of the MCLs from the legislature website that pertain to carry and I keep it in my car in case I have to point out that I legally can do what I'm doing, and it makes a quick reference.
    +1

i dont know word for word, but i do keep msp 87 with me and i know mcl 750.234d, mcl 28.425(o) 28.422, i will now be adding 750.231a

Question

Quote Originally Posted by rvd4now View Post
    +1

i dont know word for word, but i do keep msp 87 with me and i know mcl 750.234d, mcl 28.425(o) 28.422, i will now be adding 750.231a
    msp #86?

Quote Originally Posted by Yance View Post

Didn't find anything under wash rinse repeat

Quote Originally Posted by T Mack View Post
    Didn't find anything under wash rinse repeat
    I dont think he meant that you should search youtube with those keywords. He was referring to this being the common theme among those that post OC encounters on youtube - http://www.firearmowners.com/index.p...h-rinse-repeat
    "I like users who quote smellslikemichigan in their signature lines." - fozzy71

Its not a bad Idea to have a thread related to only those encounters that didn't go so well but if it is something that might go to a jury then you might not hear about it till way later. And its more and more rare in Michigan to have a bad LEO encounter, so most may be from encounters with individuals and non-LEO types and they tend to get there own threads anyway.

And the #86 refers to the Michigan State Police Legal Update number 86.
    But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security. Declaration of Independence July 4, 1776

Michigan Concealed Pistol Instructor. Cost 80.00 With advanced techniques included free. PM for more information!

Banned
    Usually bad experiences have their own threads. Really bad ones stay offline until after court.