• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

List your open carry experiences??

T Mack

I'm at work reading through the "List your open carry experiences", and Im kinda looking for the bad experiences to maybe learn something.. How to handle certain situations you guys might have encountered and a idea hit me...

It would be nice to have a sticky thread on the bad experiences.. Maybe bad is the wrong word but say the ones that do have issues or concerns... The one thread is over 100 pages now...

Just a idea to help educate the newbies like me.... I like to learn from others mistakes or encounters and how they handled them.. Thanks for your time. Sorry if it's a bad idea I've had a few! :cuss:

griffin

I am fairly new here, too. Since I take this seriously, as do you, I read the entire thread. You should too, even if it takes you a while. It'll go quicker than you think. I also use other resources, namely migunowners.org and michiganopencarry.org.

There are many interesting posts, and some include audio and/or video recording links to actual experiences when confronted by LEOs. Don't count on someone else filtering out things for you. Many "good encounters" will have very valuable information in them. If you only read "bad encounters" you will miss those. Read, listen, and watch for yourself. In my opinion, if you truly want to learn, you will avail yourself of everything you can.

Welcome. Oh, and get a voice recorder.

Last edited:

T Mack

I am fairly new here, too. Since I take this seriously, as do you, I read the entire thread. You should too, even if it takes you a while. It'll go quicker than you think. I also use other resources, namely migunowners.org and michiganopencarry.org.

There are many interesting posts, and some include audio and/or video recording links to actual experiences when confronted by LEOs. Don't count on someone else filtering out things for you. Many "good encounters" will have very valuable information in them. If you only read "bad encounters" you will miss those. Read, listen, and watch for yourself. In my opinion, if you truly want to learn, you will avail yourself of everything you can.

Welcome. Oh, and get a voice recorder.

I appreciate your reply, I already have a recorder and OC on a regular basis. I don't see no harm in breaking down the good and the bad tho...

fozzy71

The more colorful experiences usually get their own thread so they can be discussed without derailing the experiences thread. Bad experiences are much less common than they used to be so those types of threads are rather rare lately. I began to OC in 2010 and had 3 or 4 encounters with LEO. I have had 0 interactions with LEO the past 12+ months.

Yance

If you want to see some good "interesting" interactions with LEO, look up things on youtube and you will find a lot from across the country. And the most common theme in all of them is "wash, rinse, repeat" seems like everyone follows those rules. I know a lot of states are different from michigans laws when carrying but its a good way to see how others handle encounters with LEO or different people. The best thing to do is know the laws inside and out. Even if you cant quote them but you start throwing sentances at people like "well I can carry under 28.422 even without a CPL, but a CPL allows me to carry in places listed in 750.234d with out violating any laws. Also I can carry in my car in accordance with 750.231a without violating 750.227" Even if you cant quote the laws word for word, if you know what youre referencing you can even make a cop go "damn cant mess with him, he knows his stuff" because they dont study the firearms laws like we do. Or even when talking to people, the average person doesnt even know these laws exist so knowing your stuff and sounding confident in it can go a long way with someone who thinks you cant do that.

I also made screen prints of the MCLs from the legislature website that pertain to carry and I keep it in my car in case I have to point out that I legally can do what I'm doing, and it makes a quick reference.

rvd4now

If you want to see some good "interesting" interactions with LEO, look up things on youtube and you will find a lot from across the country. And the most common theme in all of them is "wash, rinse, repeat" seems like everyone follows those rules. I know a lot of states are different from michigans laws when carrying but its a good way to see how others handle encounters with LEO or different people. The best thing to do is know the laws inside and out. Even if you cant quote them but you start throwing sentances at people like "well I can carry under 28.422 even without a CPL, but a CPL allows me to carry in places listed in 750.234d with out violating any laws. Also I can carry in my car in accordance with 750.231a without violating 750.227" Even if you cant quote the laws word for word, if you know what youre referencing you can even make a cop go "damn cant mess with him, he knows his stuff" because they dont study the firearms laws like we do. Or even when talking to people, the average person doesnt even know these laws exist so knowing your stuff and sounding confident in it can go a long way with someone who thinks you cant do that.

I also made screen prints of the MCLs from the legislature website that pertain to carry and I keep it in my car in case I have to point out that I legally can do what I'm doing, and it makes a quick reference.

+1

i dont know word for word, but i do keep msp 87 with me and i know mcl 750.234d, mcl 28.425(o) 28.422, i will now be adding 750.231a

T Mack

Didn't find anything under wash rinse repeat

NHCGRPR45

Its not a bad Idea to have a thread related to only those encounters that didn't go so well but if it is something that might go to a jury then you might not hear about it till way later. And its more and more rare in Michigan to have a bad LEO encounter, so most may be from encounters with individuals and non-LEO types and they tend to get there own threads anyway.

And the #86 refers to the Michigan State Police Legal Update number 86.