• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Multiple sources: Cuccinelli running for Governor in 2013

Baked on Grease

Hmm this is a hard one. If tradition holds true, when a republican wins the white house virginia will vote for a Dem govenor..

Hopefully we break tradition and vote two Republicans this time around.

Sent using tapatalk

Repeater

Bolling issues statement

Bolling Issues Statement on Cuccinelli's Candidacy
"Needless to say, I am very disappointed by Mr. Cuccinelli's decision to run for Governor in 2013. During the 2009 campaign, and since taking office in 2010, Mr. Cuccinelli had repeatedly stated that he intended to seek re-election as Attorney General in 2013 and that is what I and other Republican leaders had expected him to do. Unfortunately, he has now decided to put his own personal ambition ahead of the best interests of the Commonwealth and the Republican Party.

"In 2009, Governor McDonnell and I gave Virginia Republicans a blueprint for how to win statewide elections in Virginia. It started with our decision to join together and offer a united vision for the future of our state. In order to make that possible, I decided to seek re-election to the office of Lieutenant Governor and support Bob McDonnell's campaign for Governor. Unlike Mr. Cuccinelli, I set aside my personal ambition and did what was right for the Commonwealth and our party.

"I have consistently stated my intention to run for Governor in 2013, and Mr. Cuccinelli's announcement will not alter my intended course. After serving 10 years in the State Senate and 6 years as Lieutenant Governor, I am uniquely prepared to succeed Governor McDonnell and lead Virginia into the future. I have also served for 2 years in Governor McDonnell's cabinet, which has provided me with the experience and knowledge of the executive branch of state government that is necessary to continue our successes. Throughout my public service I have provided conservative, results oriented leadership, and I have worked with Republicans and Democrats to get things done for the people of Virginia. That experience and record of results enables me to reach out to conservative and independent voters and makes me the strongest candidate for Governor in 2013.

Can Ken be trusted?

Repeater

Ken's e-mail

Here is Ken's e-mail:
OAG colleagues,

You have likely heard in the media the many rumors about an announcement of a run for governor. While I wanted to wait to announce a candidacy until after the General Assembly session, as the rumors swirl, I find it necessary to put them to rest.

After much prayer and consideration, I have decided to run for governor in 2013. I have always intended to let you know before the media. Shortly after you receive this email, I will be sending a statement to the media announcing my candidacy.

Being attorney general is the best job of my life, and working with so many bright and dedicated professionals in this office has made it a true joy.

We have protected vulnerable citizens from fraud, worked to get gangs off the streets through intervention as well as prosecution, saved taxpayers from millions in Medicaid fraud, fought for fair utility prices for consumers, provided our clients with official legal opinions that have never been overruled by any court, and stood up to the federal government when it broke the law and infringed on the sovereignty of Virginia and the liberty of her people.

We will continue this work together until the last day of my term. Just as I had intended not to resign as attorney general to run for a second term, I will not resign as attorney general to run for governor. The people of Virginia trusted me to be their attorney general, and I intend to give them their full four years. I also think it is important to see these lawsuits against the federal government all the way through, as they are unprecedented battles for liberty in our lifetimes.

I am committed to you and to the citizens of this commonwealth to leading this office and making this job my priority. I have no right to ask the voters for a promotion if I cannot continue to do my current job well.

I know many of you are wondering why I decided to run for governor instead of for re-election. As so many former attorneys general know from being legal counsel to every agency of state government, this job gives you tremendous insight and perspective on the inner workings of state government that no other job can provide.

Being governor of the commonwealth and all its agencies is truly a massive task, and with only four years to do it, there is little time for on-the-job training. That is especially true when Virginia and the entire country are facing unprecedented economic challenges, a bullying federal government, and financially strapped citizens who are demanding that we ensure every dollar taken from their families to pay for government is a dollar that is spent wisely. When Governor McDonnell finishes his successful term, I am convinced his successor needs to hit the ground running to keep the momentum moving forward in the face of federal and economic challenges.

I hope you have known me long enough to know that I do this out of my love for our commonwealth and to further the principles on which this country was founded. Although I originally expected to serve as attorney general for another term, my job is that of public servant, and I feel that two years from now, I can best serve the people of Virginia from the governor’s office.

Thank you for your dedication to this office and to the people we serve. I look forward to our continued work together and our successes during the remaining two years of my term.

Ken

Does that reassure you?

riverrat10k

I have written Ken on the housing and finance issue.....

... which I think is extremely important. His response, when I have called for handcuffs and charter revocation for admitadly fraudulent activity by the major banks, is that "they are regulated under Federal law, and it is really up to them to administer them."

What a pile of crap. If that is the case, why do local police show up at a bank robbery? As long as I operate in a Federally regulated industry, no harm can happen at the State level?

The ABA (American Banking Association) has them all in their pocket. It is sickening.

If he was honest, he would do this:

"NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- The Massachusetts attorney general on Thursday sued some of the nation's biggest banks, accusing them of "unlawful and deceptive conduct in the foreclosure process."

http://market-ticker.org/akcs-www?post=198421

..and follow through with some handcuffs and jail time. Read the comments, though, and you will understand that it will not likely happen.

Last edited:

TFred

This really isn't that hard to figure out. Bolling is a ghost, and a spineless ghost at that. He would have trouble beating a Democratic opponent (rumored to be Terry McAuliffe, of Clinton days), for several reasons, not the least of which is that he will try to appease everyone, greatly angering the conservative base, and he has very low name recognition, especially compared to Cuccinelli. Love him or hate him, you do know his name.

A possible scenario...

The Republicans will win the Presidency in '12, and by November '13, the economy will be turned around well enough to ease the middle's anger at the Democrats. This makes McAuliffe electable (how ironic is that?), and if the Republicans win twice at President, that may also give the Democrats an 8 year run at Governor, leaving Cuccinelli a long-forgotten relic by 2021.

He probably saw it as now or never. If Bolling were a true statesman, he would admit that he's an unelectable ghost, and give Cuccinelli his full support.

TFred

hometheaterman

Cuccinelli will not be getting my vote. As much as I hate to say it, I don't trust him. He has lied to us so that he would gain our support, only to turn around and do the opposite thing. He then tells us, he made a mistake, or was wrong, or something similar each time. Now it's time for me to admit that I was wrong in supporting him for the AG position, and I will not be making that mistake again.

Last edited:

MSC 45ACP

... True politician.

All that and more. Having met him in person, I can only conclude he is an AMAZING liar and will say whatever he has to say to appease the crowd in front of him at the time. He's very convincing. When my family and I spoke to him at the Newport News picnic when he was running for office, I was almost convinced he actually gives a chit about us... Almost.

TFred

Cuccinelli will not be getting my vote. As much as I hate to say it, I don't trust him. He has lied to us so that he would gain our support, only to turn around and do the opposite thing. He then tells us, he made a mistake, or was wrong, or something similar each time. Now it's time for me to admit that I was wrong in supporting him for the AG position, and I will not be making that mistake again.

All that and more. Having met him in person, I can only conclude he is an AMAZING liar and will say whatever he has to say to appease the crowd in front of him at the time. He's very convincing. When my family and I spoke to him at the Newport News picnic when he was running for office, I was almost convinced he actually gives a chit about us... Almost.
Well I just have to ask then... who will you support? Bolling, who as President of the Senate, sat by and did NOTHING while the Democrats cheated their way to killing good gun bills, because that was the only way they could advance their agenda? Or McAuliffe, who was 'Clinton the assault rifle banner's' stooge? Or perhaps you will waste your votes on fringe candidates that don't stand a chance to win?

Please share with us your strategy for victory.

TFred