• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

North Dakota proposes outlawing ALL property taxes!

riverrat10k

"North Dakota citizens may abolish property taxes, allowing them more control over government spending. Nearly 30,000 signatures were collected to place the people's initiative on the ballot in June, 2012 that would constitutionally abolish all property taxes in North Dakota."

Be sure to check the links for all the details! There may be hope for freedom lovers yet!

http://www.activistpost.com/2011/11/secret-revolution-in-north-dakota.html

riverrat10k

Right, I saw it was 4-5% of the total pop. Are you referencing the influx of people employed in the oil extraction industry? Obviously, it would be beneficial to these owners to not pay property taxes.

I am for as small a government as possible. This seems like one way to cut the .govs strings to my wallet. Likely, other taxes would increase .

I live in a neighborhood with many elderly folks. It saddens me to know that after living in a home for 50 years, they still "rent" the 1/3 acre from the city for $2200 a year.

riverrat10k

OK, with you now. One reason I enjoy OC activism. Sometimes the squeaky wheel.....

Kinda a wake up call, that it is possible for a VERY small group, i.e. the Brady Bunch, to get a public voice and influence policy.

So I guess the lesson is, NEVER GIVE UP THE FIGHT!

Have a good one.

Last edited:

rodbender

OK, with you now. One reason I enjoy OC activism. Sometimes the squeaky wheel.....

Kinda a wake up call, that it is possible for a VERY small group, i.e. the Brady Bunch, to get a public voice and influence policy.

So I guess the lesson is, NEVER GIVE UP THE FIGHT!

Have a good one.

And sometimes the squeaky wheel gets a hammer taken to it by an idiot mechanic. I reference Kalifornikation.

Brimstone Baritone

I think it's a poor idea, economically speaking. If they cut the property tax, they will likely raise income or sales taxes to compensate. Sales taxes are more regressive than property taxes, and would likely hurt the lower and middle class people who are voting for this the most. Income taxes don't really affect those who can choose not to work or can change their investment decisions, and so would again hit the lower and middle classes the hardest.

Or the government might cut spending to match the lower income levels. Hey, it could happen. Maybe.

beebobby

I wonder how they will like not having fire or police services. I guess an increase in sales taxes would make up the difference.

dmatting

Why is it that the first thing to go is first responders? Why not give away programs?

Just don't make no damn sense to me.

It doesn't make any sense because it is only meant to get an emotional response. There isn't any thought to comments like that. The local governments can obtain revenue through other means and also cut programs that are "non-essential".

If they get this done, I will be seriously discussing a move to North Dakota with my wife. We've already discussed moving out west and this would incentivize us even more. Here in North Carolina I have to pay a tax on my land and home every single year. I also have to pay taxes on all of my registered vehicles every year. There is no moral justification for this. I have no true property rights because of these taxes. If I do not pay them they will come with their guns and forcibly evict me from my own home. Even if I own the land outright, do not have a mortgage and have the deed, the government can come and take that all away from me and if I were to dare to resist their actions they would kill me. There are no true rights in this country anymore since there is no true right to property.