• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Demanding ID on credit card purchases

H

Herr Heckler Koch

What Personal Information Should You Give to Merchants? Paying by Credit Card

https://www.privacyrights.org/fs/fs15-mt.htm#2b

5.8.4 Additional Cardholder Identification

A Merchant must not refuse to complete a Transaction solely because a Cardholder who has complied with the conditions for presentment of a Card at the POI refuses to provide additional identification information, except as specifically permitted or required by the Standards. A Merchant may require additional identification from the Cardholder if the information is required to complete the Transaction, such as for shipping purposes. A Merchant in a country or region that supports use of the MasterCard Address Verification Service (AVS) may require the Cardholder’s ZIP or postal code to complete a Cardholder-Activated Terminal (CAT) Transaction, or the Cardholder’s address and ZIP or postal code to complete a mail order, phone order, or e-commerce Transaction. http://www.mastercard.com/global/merchant/_assets/docs/MasterCardRules.pdf.

MasterCard has an online form for reporting merchant violations of this rule. Go to http://www.mastercard.com/us/personal/en/contactus/merchantviolations.html and check the box: “The merchant/retailer required identification.”

The Visa International Operating Regulations provide as follows:

Supplemental Identification - U.S. Region

A U.S. Acquirer must not, as a regular practice, require a Merchant, and a Merchant must not require a Cardholder, to provide any supplementary Cardholder information as a condition for honoring a Visa Card or Visa Electron Card, unless it is required or permitted elsewhere in the U.S. Regional Operating Regulations. Such supplementary Cardholder information includes, but is not limited to:

• Social Security Number (or any part thereof)

• Fingerprint

• Home or business address or telephone number

• Driver's license number

• Photocopy of a driver's license

• Photocopy of the Visa Card or Visa Electron Card

• Other credit cards

http://usa.visa.com/download/merchants/visa-international-operating-regulations-main.pdf (pg. 468)

Unfortunately, the MasterCard Rules and Visa Operating Regulations are often ignored by retailers. If you feel strongly about not showing identification as a condition of using your Visa or MasterCard credit card, you may wish to print out a copy of the relevant merchant rule (from the pdf links cited above) and ask to speak to a store manager.

Tawnos

The credit card company only expects cashiers to compare the signature on the card to the signature on the receipt. That's it. Since the credit card company is willing to take the hit for fraud and since both the merchant and the card-holder have agreed to this, then they should live by the agreement.
That's not true either. The company only expects the cashier to check that the card is signed. If signed, it means the signer has presumably agreed to all terms and conditions of the credit card. The signature isn't a security measure - it's the last step of a contract.

I would rather that the card-holder retain the option of requiring positive ID before his card is accepted, but no one offers that option. Heck, I'd like my photo to be emblazoned big and bold on the front of the card and that merchants be required to match that photo with me before accepting the card for payment. Maybe someone will see this business opportunity and offer such a product.

I'm pretty sure the photo thing exists. E.g. Bank of America's allows for a photo credit card.

VW_Factor

it's a violation of agreement between the creditor and merchant, and all that is required is the card itself, and the signature on the back.

Anyone know any further info on this?

This is correct. The merchant agreements with Visa, Mastercard, and Discover (I don't know about Amex, we don't deal with them) clearly outline that asking for ID is a violation of terms for the merchant.

You know why card companies tell people to not put CID or some such on the card. Its because of the merchant agreement.

Knowing this, if I get carded for beer or what not. Meh. Whatever.. If I am not purchasing something that requires ID, and they ask for ID for the card purchase, I'll leave.

eye95

That Alabama does not have a law dictating the behavior of people participating in a private transaction is a good thing...if Liberty is important to you.

Again, it never ceases to amaze me how some folks WANT government interference in their lives and business in ways not designed solely to protect your life, Liberty, and property from the nefarious actions of others.

The purpose of government is not to get you what you want, to make things run smoothly, to protect one from his own idiocy, to stop others from doing things one does not want them to do, to make the trains run on time, or any of the like. The purpose of government is to protect us from others, from within and without, who would interfere with our ability to enjoy our lives, Liberty, and property. One would think that, on a pro-2A site, this would be the prevailing view of the purpose of government. It seems that it isn't.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

Redbaron007

But it does not apply to credit card purchases. The merchants have specifically agreed not to check ID when customers use the card. If they check ID, they are in blatant violation of the terms of the contract. Banks have not specifically disallowed the checking of ID for cashing checks. No one disallows the checking of ID for cash transactions; it's just pointless. But the credit card companies specifically disallow merchants from checking IDs when customers present the credit card. So it is not the same simple process.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

I stand corrected. Thanks for the update.

Polynikes

I actually keep a copy of the Merchant's Terms of Service with the CC Company saved on my phone, so I can show them their actual agreement if they demand my ID. Plain and simple, the terms say that they cannot require me to produce ID in order to make a purchase.

since9

Campaign Veteran
I actually keep a copy of the Merchant's Terms of Service with the CC Company saved on my phone, so I can show them their actual agreement if they demand my ID. Plain and simple, the terms say that they cannot require me to produce ID in order to make a purchase.

Same, but on paper. On the backside I have a copy of MC's vendor reporting form. Most managers know this and when I raise the issued and they're called to the cashier, they waive it without me having to pull out the paper. I still like to show them the paper and ask that they properly train their employees. If they raise objectives, I simply say, "these are the terms you agreed to uphold. I contracted with MC because these are the terms you agreed to uphold. If you won't uphold the terms, I and a lot of other friends will be shopping somewhere else - is that what you want?"

Only one starting bitching at me. She was out of a job in less than a week.