• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Demanding ID on credit card purchases

Aaron1124

Can employers require the purchaser to display their identification upon making a purchase with a VISA/MASTERCARD credit card? I know many merchants are doing this, and some customers are being refused service for failing to comply. Some customers have mentioned that it's a violation of agreement between the creditor and merchant, and all that is required is the card itself, and the signature on the back.

Anyone know any further info on this?

Metalhead47

Given the rampant fraud & identity theft nowadays, seems perfectly reasonable to me. It's not a GOVT requirement at all, it's private entities trying to protect their (and your) interests. It's probably buried in the Brazilian page card member agreements & addendums that no one ever bothers to read.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

j4l

Not sure about employer and whomever transactions, but Im glad as heck when stores demand it.
As someone who has been on the wrong-end of both credit/debit cards stolen and attempts made to use them, AND an Identity theft case a few yrs back...

I actually get a bit annoyed when they DONT ask for my ID. When they dont, it means any jackass could have my card and be cleaning me out.

Observed a case just the other day, in fact, in which some "urban" asshat was attempting to make a huge purchase at a store-in line in front of me. The clerk looked at the card, asked for the guy's ID. The moron who tried to use the card had the nerve to get irate about that, and tried making a big scene -to include the "race card" (interestingly, both clerk and "customer" were of the same race..:rolleyes: )

The cashier just chuckled, and said, "look, dude, I KNOW your name isnt Shirley.....so..... :banghead: :banghead: )
As an added bonus, our Darwin Awardee, lacking any grasp of SA, failed to note that the guy behind ME in the line was a cop lmao.. BUSTED on the spot.

Aaron1124

Oh, I completely understand the reason for asking for identification. I have just been reading some documents stating it's a violation of the credit/merchant contract.

Badger Johnson

With signature filled in on the back (and even if not) there is no requirement to show ID. Unfortunately, some stores will be obstructionist and it might take you a couple days to sort it out.

In general, asking for ID is a good thing. But of course a lot of women take their husband's CCs and go shopping. I doubt showing their ID will do anything to authenticate a card.

j4l

Oh, I completely understand the reason for asking for identification. I have just been reading some documents stating it's a violation of the credit/merchant contract.

That depends entirely on who's (which firm/co. etc) is processing the credit card transactions for the merchant.

eye95

This is a matter of the contract between the merchant and VISA, MC, etc.

As I understand it, ID may NOT be required, with one exception: If the card is not signed, the merchant may be required to check ID and then require the card be signed in their presence. IIRC, if you refuse to sign the card, the merchant is to confiscate the card.

This is a contractual matter and, apart from disputes arising from that contract, is not a matter for the law.

Metalhead47

In general, asking for ID is a good thing. But of course a lot of women take their husband's CCs and go shopping. I doubt showing their ID will do anything to authenticate a card.

Why is this even necessary? It's the easiest thing in the world to add a second card in another's name to the existing account

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steeler-gal

Can employers require the purchaser to display their identification upon making a purchase with a VISA/MASTERCARD credit card?

I believe merchants and vendors can require it. It's a safety measure to ensure that person using the card is the person the card was issued to? They're trying to protect you from theft and them from lawsuits. I don't know if this violates our agreements with VISA, MASTERCARD or the banks though.

Did we just travel back to 1950? Don't most women have their own cards now?

eye95

I believe merchants and vendors can require [the production of ID to use a credit card]...

Not according to the agreement they voluntarily entered into with the credit card company.

A co-worker of mine learned this when she tried to compare my military ID to my credit card. She may check my ID to verify that I am an authorized patron, but not to verify that the name on the credit card matches. Although I would rather that she could, we all must respect contracts lawfully entered into. It is the lack of respect for contracts that is at the root of many of our current financial woes in this country.

Steeler-gal

A co-worker of mine learned this when she tried to compare my military ID to my credit card. She may check my ID to verify that I am an authorized patron, but not to verify that the name on the credit card matches.

How else would they verify that the person presenting the card is the same person whose name is the authorized patron if they don't ask to see your ID? Doesn't your Military ID and your credit card both have your name on them?

eye95

How else would they verify that the person presenting the card is the same person whose name is the authorized patron if they don't ask to see your ID? Doesn't your Military ID and your credit card both have your name on them?

Checking the ID at the beginning of the transaction and taking the credit card at the end of the transaction are distinct steps. She made them the same step by holding both cards and comparing them--a clear violation of the agreement between the Exchange and the credit card company.

The credit card company only expects cashiers to compare the signature on the card to the signature on the receipt. That's it. Since the credit card company is willing to take the hit for fraud and since both the merchant and the card-holder have agreed to this, then they should live by the agreement.

I would rather that the card-holder retain the option of requiring positive ID before his card is accepted, but no one offers that option. Heck, I'd like my photo to be emblazoned big and bold on the front of the card and that merchants be required to match that photo with me before accepting the card for payment. Maybe someone will see this business opportunity and offer such a product.

Steeler-gal

I would rather that the card-holder retain the option of requiring positive ID before his card is accepted, but no one offers that option. Heck, I'd like my photo to be emblazoned big and bold on the front of the card and that merchants be required to match that photo with me before accepting the card for payment. Maybe someone will see this business opportunity and offer such a product.

I see what you're saying. Isn't there a card that offers that as an option now? Thought I saw commerecials for that but may be they stopped.

Redbaron007

....[snip] Heck, I'd like my photo to be emblazoned big and bold on the front of the card and that merchants be required to match that photo with me before accepting the card for payment. Maybe someone will see this business opportunity and offer such a product.

Bank of America does this for soome of their accounts. Since I have done this, I have had no one ask for my ID. It's an ugly mug shot too!!

Although the CC companies not require it, a business can ask for your ID at any time for any reason. You are not required to provide it to them, but then they have the option of not doing business with you either.

Remember hand written checks!?:lol: How many times were you asked for your DL so they could write down info. The banks didn't require this. If you didn't present it, they didn't do business with you by not accepting your check. Same simple process applies here.The CC companies don't require it or condone it. A store could ask for your ID if you paid by cash, if they wanted to. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

eye95

...Same simple process applies here.The CC companies don't require it or condone it. A store could ask for your ID if you paid by cash, if they wanted to. :rolleyes:

But it does not apply to credit card purchases. The merchants have specifically agreed not to check ID when customers use the card. If they check ID, they are in blatant violation of the terms of the contract. Banks have not specifically disallowed the checking of ID for cashing checks. No one disallows the checking of ID for cash transactions; it's just pointless. But the credit card companies specifically disallow merchants from checking IDs when customers present the credit card. So it is not the same simple process.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

Metalhead47

But it does not apply to credit card purchases. The merchants have specifically agreed not to check ID when customers use the card. If they check ID, they are in blatant violation of the terms of the contract. Banks have not specifically disallowed the checking of ID for cashing checks. No one disallows the checking of ID for cash transactions; it's just pointless. But the credit card companies specifically disallow merchants from checking IDs when customers present the credit card. So it is not the same simple process.

<o>
Anyone got a cite for this policy?

RPGamingGirl

Technically, the merchant is only "supposed" to check to make sure the signatures match, or if the card is not signed, to match up the names.

Many people write "see ID" on the back in the hopes that the merchant will ALWAYS ask for an ID, in case the card is lost or stolen. My husband has this on his, and an ID is still only asked for about 40% of the time.

I do sometimes use my "husband's" debit card (we don't use credit cards at all), not because i'm spending "his" money, but because we share a bank account, and for some reason, our bank refuses to issue a card with my name on it (makes no sense because it's a joint account with both names on the statements and the checks, but whatever; it's something i need to look into simply because it's a inconvenient). Usually when they ask, i show my own ID, and sign the slip with my first initial (it's the same as his middle initial) and our shared last name, because i figure i have less to explain that way. 90% of the time it's no problem; they either don't notice, don't care, or figure we're married and share a card, no big deal. But occasionally they won't take it without his signature, so i'll either write a check, or simply take my business elsewhere if they won't accept them.

eye95

Anyone got a cite for this policy?

It's been posted on this site a few times before. As a matter of fact, this is the site on which I learned of this policy. On the Internet, you can look for the merchant agreements for Visa and MC. Mike has talked about enough that he probably knows the links.

If I have a few minutes, I'll poke around for them.

<o>

Tawnos

You do realize that you can get a credit card in any name you want, right?