• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC Question

Deserteagle8338

if you can't even get that right how can anyone listen to anything else you write?

Guess I can say the same since you fail to use proper grammar and writing skills. Not to mention the fact that nobody can "listen" to words on a screen. They have to be read, not listened to.

Last edited:

Deserteagle8338

deserteagle writes-"This original topic was about the legality of Boulder County banning open carry on its trails. And according to this law, if they put a no gun sign at the trail head for example and I walk past it, I would be breaking the law."

duh!! i very clearly stated that in my previous post.

deserteagle writes-"Actually, there is a state law saying you CANT OC where a city doesnt want you to. Its posted above. So you should be careful with the misinformation."

please cite this statute

desert eagle writes-"You walking through a crosswalk in Boulder is an excellent example of this stated law. There was not a no gun sign posted at the crosswalk, therefore you were not breaking the law. Although the state law does stop local governments from enforcing gun laws, the state government gave them the power to ban open carry within its jurisdiction with posted signs."

again, duh! they can ban certain areas and buildings. that is all. areas and buildings.

deserteagle writes-"However, because CC is in the law and is pre-exmpted by state law, if a city places a no gun sign in their park, it cannot apply to CCers."

ALL GUN LAWS ARE PREEMPTED BY STATE LAW, not just CC.

Let me get this straight. You say no city can make and enforce gun laws. But you also say that cities can make and enforce gun laws because they can ban open carry where they want to. You are contradicting yourself.

Once again,

29-11.7-104. Regulation - carrying - posting.
A local government may enact an ordinance, regulation, or other law that prohibits the open carrying of a firearm in a building or specific area within the local government's jurisdiction. If a local government enacts an ordinance, regulation, or other law that prohibits the open carrying of a firearm in a building or specific area, the local government shall post signs at the public entrances to the building or specific area informing persons that the open carrying of firearms is prohibited in the building or specific area.
That doesnt sound like misinformation to me.

Deserteagle8338

deserteagle, go back and re-read what you wrote in the first post i replied to with a quote. it was so chock full of lies and misinformation. pre-expempted!? hahahahaha. done.

So you are going to keep attacking me rather than admitting your contradiction that you use to argue with me? Your quote that you are so proud of accomplished nothing. If all local gun laws cannot be enforced because of state law, see what happens when you walk past a city's no-gun sign while you are open carrying. Cities CAN ban open carry! They cannot ban CC.

Deserteagle8338

i only attack lies, misinformation and half truths. not you. again, read what you wrote in post 9 and how you wrote it. your wording makes it out to sound like any city, county or municipality can just outright ban OC totally with wording like this- "Therefore a city or county can say no open carry because: 1. It is their right 2. There is no state law saying open carry is allowed and cannot be regulated by cities/counties." and lie this "It makes it very hard to open carry in Metro Denver because many cities do not allow open carry...." you should have specified ' many cities do not allow OC in posted buildings and areas'. that is all.

You did attack me for my failure to use correct terminology, you then posted it a second time using it as a reason to laugh at me.
I certainly did not lie, as you have been corrected by my last post, cities can make laws against OC, and that makes it very hard to OC in Metro Denver because they can ban OC (in areas of their choosing) and it is our responsibility to look out for the signs.

Deserteagle8338

and i think that's more of a ordinance or regulation more so than a law.

Tell that to the people who wrote the law and decided to include the word "law" along with "regulation" and "ordinance".
Ordinance is also considered a law in the dictionary Ordinance: "an authoritative rule or law".
So is regulation: "a law, rule, or other order prescribed by authority, especially to regulate"

Last edited:

JamesB

Children...are we done bickering now?

I think we all know exactly what's going on here and I would hate to have this degerate into a ...nevermind.

rushcreek2

Buildings, and SPECIFIC areas under the CONTROL OF a municipality, or county are distinct from the entirety of all acreage falling within the boundaries of a given city limits, or within the confines of given county lines.

A person generally has the choice of whether to enter a building, or specific area. Setting aside an entire city or county that also encompasses privately owned buildings, and specific areas is an over-reach.

A person also has the right to travel through any given Colorado jurisdiction without suffering disability of their right to bear arms, and vehicles are not the only available mode of travel. Some persons have been known to travel by foot power - even across the expanse of city/county jurisdictions.

State allowance for open carry is found in Article II, Section 13 of the Colorado Constitution, and Denver's "Home Rule" prerogative doesn't trump the Colorado Constitution.

This issue is ripe for constitutional challenge.

Last edited:

since9

Campaign Veteran
State allowance for open carry is found in Article II, Section 13 of the Colorado Constitution, and Denver's "Home Rule" prerogative doesn't trump the Colorado Constitution. This issue is ripe for constitutional challenge.

While you are technically correct, the reason Denver still cracks down on open carry is because it's already been challenged, and the result was a deadlocked Colorado State Supreme Court. Deadlock means it was neither overturned nor upheld.

If I'm not mistaken, however, since no precedent was set, lower courts may rule in accordance with Art II Sect 13. Until that happens, however, Denver can continue to bust an OCer's chops.

Last edited: