• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NC gun CHP class.

gary737

I live in Troutman, NC and was wondering if anyone can recommend a NC gun class to get my NC CHP. Because of my job, I need a class during the week. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

J_Oliver

Although this is an open carry forum, you can't pass up training of any kind.
I got mine from Caliber's in Greensboro. Because maintenance is strictly first shift, I had to find something either on the weekends or after 5. Caliber's offers either an 8 hour saturday class or a 4 hour class 5-9 Monday and Tuesday that still satisfy's state requirements.
Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

gary737

Although this is an open carry forum, you can't pass up training of any kind.
I got mine from Caliber's in Greensboro. Because maintenance is strictly first shift, I had to find something either on the weekends or after 5. Caliber's offers either an 8 hour saturday class or a 4 hour class 5-9 Monday and Tuesday that still satisfy's state requirements.

While you are correct this is an "open carry" forum, I would suggest that those of you that open carry think very strongly about getting your NC CHP. If you openly carry which is easily noticed by law enforcement, within a federal school "gun free zone", you could be arrested and put in jail. If that takes place, your future CC or OC rights could be forever lost.

cricketdad

While you are correct this is an "open carry" forum, I would suggest that those of you that open carry think very strongly about getting your NC CHP. If you openly carry which is easily noticed by law enforcement, within a federal school "gun free zone", you could be arrested and put in jail. If that takes place, your future CC or OC rights could be forever lost.

To me the best reason to get the permit is the reciprocity with other states.

Your local Sheriff has a list of everyone teaching the course.

spiderjohn

I just find it funny how people come on an open carry forum and ask questions about CC. Seems to be happening a lot lately. I wouldn't go on a Glock forum and ask questions about Springfield XDs....but that's just me. I don't have a CHP and don't really plan on getting one as I don't feel I need a permission slip from the government to exercise my 2A rights.

Could be arrested, sure. You 'could' be arrested for OC by an ignorant cop. You 'could' be arrested for failure to use a turn signal....but is this really enforced on those just driving by a school? I seem to remember a long string of posts where has not been enforced on those merely traveling through this zone.

WTFOVER

I just find it funny how people come on an open carry forum and ask questions about CC. Seems to be happening a lot lately. I wouldn't go on a Glock forum and ask questions about Springfield XDs....but that's just me. I don't have a CHP and don't really plan on getting one as I don't feel I need a permission slip from the government to exercise my 2A rights.

Could be arrested, sure. You 'could' be arrested for OC by an ignorant cop. You 'could' be arrested for failure to use a turn signal....but is this really enforced on those just driving by a school? I seem to remember a long string of posts where has not been enforced on those merely traveling through this zone.

So you would rather go to the sheriff's office everytime to buy a purchase permit, or you just don't want to leave the state and be able to "exercise your 2A rights" correct? While this may be an opencarry forum people do have the ability to ask about CC. Just becaue you don't like it doesn't mean others wont.

spiderjohn

So you would rather go to the sheriff's office everytime to buy a purchase permit, or you just don't want to leave the state and be able to "exercise your 2A rights" correct? While this may be an opencarry forum people do have the ability to ask about CC. Just becaue you don't like it doesn't mean others wont.

Sure people can ask but people can also point out that it's an OC forum so CC is not on topic, so what's your point? Just saying that it strikes me as funny that someone would intentionally sign up on an open carry website to ask about conceal carry.

And yeah, I don't go out of state much. You can buy multiple purchase permits at once if you want to purchase from a FFL and follow the law in obtaining a pistol.

J_Oliver

I was merely pointing out that cc was off topic on an oc forum. However I also feel that there are times that cc may for one reason or another be preferred. Never miss an opportunity for training. Whether you choose to bow to the gubbament or not, you can get the necessary training and licensure for travel to other states if you so decide. Doesn't mean you HAVE to cc, ever. Chp's are just an aid to better your oc experiance i.e. driving in a car, protection in case of the unfortunate coat tail ninja, etc. Don't misunderstand what I say, I don't like the fact that I have to have permission to do something that is a constitutional right. Constitutional carry will always be preferred.

ncwabbit

appreciate ability to buy firearms

when i find a bargin vice having to say---hold this till i get my permit....

as to getting arrested is not my thought to spend my $$,$$$$.oo (ref the lass who is defending herself i think in the wisconsin thread). being 'seen' in the system even if everything is dismissed...you are in a national system so if someone checks you will pop up...i shall pass!!

wabbit

Last edited:

muccione

Lets not forget about the 1st Amendment. Ask any question you want say what you want. Doesn't mean you will get a answer or even a reply

So who else is playing Modern Warfare 3.... PS3 or Xbox 360....

How much will my fuel economy change if i put nitrogen in my tires...

If I cook a turkey at 200 degrees for 6 hours will it still be moist...

spiderjohn

Lets not forget about the 1st Amendment. Ask any question you want say what you want. Doesn't mean you will get a answer or even a reply

Not quite sure if 1st Amendment rights extend to private forums. I'm thinking forum rules trump the 1st Amendment. The amendment prohibits the making of any law respecting an establishment of religion, impeding the free exercise of religion, abridging the freedom of speech, infringing on the freedom of the press, interfering with the right to peaceably assemble or prohibiting the petitioning for a governmental redress of grievances.

The First Amendment does not protect against private action only against direct government censorship.

gary737

Not quite sure if 1st Amendment rights extend to private forums. I'm thinking forum rules trump the 1st Amendment......

So, now your saying that my asking about CHP classes was OK as long as the owner of this private forum doesn't have an issue with it. Is that correct?

r1dramma

If traveling to Gastonia isn't a problem, lmk and I will pm you the info of the guy where I took my CHP class. He's an old retired policeman, he does the class on Saturday's out of his home, he has his own pistol range also. Last time I sent someone to him he was charging 65$, I have atleast 20 friends of mine that have taken his class.

Sent from my Evo 3d using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Dreamer

If you are anywhere near the Greenville/Washington area, I highly recommend James Satterwaithe. He is a retired Pitt County Deputy, an EXCELLENT instructor, and he has an AMAZING collection of firearms (including some Class III stuff) that he likes to trot out and show off after the class is over...

http://greenvilleconcealedcarry.com/