Thread: Car vault

Car vault

I am looking at a biometric vault to put in my car. The other thing I need is a good cable as well to attach to my car. What would your recommendation be?
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Just remember that biometric safes all require a LOT of batteries. And also remember that batteries tend to have a GREATLY reduced lifespan when subjected to high temperatures--like INSIDE A CAR in the summer. Rechargeables are even more susceptible to this than alkalines or Lithiums...

You can plan on spending a few hundred dollars over the life of the safe on batteries, and have to occasionally use the key to open it because the batteries died unexpectedly, and adding a few hundred to the price of the safe for the privilege, OR you could get a plain-jane keyed or combination safe, and save yourself a lot of hassle, expense, and maintenance in the future.

Just my opinion, though...
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Smile Car vault

Quote Originally Posted by protias View Post
    I am looking at a biometric vault to put in my car. The other thing I need is a good cable as well to attach to my car. What would your recommendation be?
    I've had 2 of the Center-of-Mass car vaults (large) for at least two years and find that they work great. I had both units keyed alike to prevent the need to fumble for the correct key.
    Mitch

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
    Just remember that biometric safes all require a LOT of batteries. And also remember that batteries tend to have a GREATLY reduced lifespan when subjected to high temperatures--like INSIDE A CAR in the summer. Rechargeables are even more susceptible to this than alkalines or Lithiums...

You can plan on spending a few hundred dollars over the life of the safe on batteries, and have to occasionally use the key to open it because the batteries died unexpectedly, and adding a few hundred to the price of the safe for the privilege, OR you could get a plain-jane keyed or combination safe, and save yourself a lot of hassle, expense, and maintenance in the future.

Just my opinion, though...
    Hmm, I wonder if there is a way to hardwire it to the car.

Quote Originally Posted by MITCH View Post
    I've had 2 of the Center-of-Mass car vaults (large) for at least two years and find that they work great. I had both units keyed alike to prevent the need to fumble for the correct key.
    Mitch
    Since I drive a smaller car, bolting one of these inside the cabin is not going to be an option for me. I really do need a thicker gauge cable. Plus, after MKEgal's stuff was stolen by MPD, I want to prevent anyone from getting inside of the box.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)