• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Car vault

protias

I am looking at a biometric vault to put in my car. The other thing I need is a good cable as well to attach to my car. What would your recommendation be?

Dreamer

Just remember that biometric safes all require a LOT of batteries. And also remember that batteries tend to have a GREATLY reduced lifespan when subjected to high temperatures--like INSIDE A CAR in the summer. Rechargeables are even more susceptible to this than alkalines or Lithiums...

You can plan on spending a few hundred dollars over the life of the safe on batteries, and have to occasionally use the key to open it because the batteries died unexpectedly, and adding a few hundred to the price of the safe for the privilege, OR you could get a plain-jane keyed or combination safe, and save yourself a lot of hassle, expense, and maintenance in the future.

Just my opinion, though...

MITCH

I am looking at a biometric vault to put in my car. The other thing I need is a good cable as well to attach to my car. What would your recommendation be?

I've had 2 of the Center-of-Mass car vaults (large) for at least two years and find that they work great. I had both units keyed alike to prevent the need to fumble for the correct key.
Mitch

protias

Just remember that biometric safes all require a LOT of batteries. And also remember that batteries tend to have a GREATLY reduced lifespan when subjected to high temperatures--like INSIDE A CAR in the summer. Rechargeables are even more susceptible to this than alkalines or Lithiums...

You can plan on spending a few hundred dollars over the life of the safe on batteries, and have to occasionally use the key to open it because the batteries died unexpectedly, and adding a few hundred to the price of the safe for the privilege, OR you could get a plain-jane keyed or combination safe, and save yourself a lot of hassle, expense, and maintenance in the future.

Just my opinion, though...

Hmm, I wonder if there is a way to hardwire it to the car.

I've had 2 of the Center-of-Mass car vaults (large) for at least two years and find that they work great. I had both units keyed alike to prevent the need to fumble for the correct key.
Mitch

Since I drive a smaller car, bolting one of these inside the cabin is not going to be an option for me. I really do need a thicker gauge cable. Plus, after MKEgal's stuff was stolen by MPD, I want to prevent anyone from getting inside of the box.