• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Judge Judy Show.

Haz.

I hope I am not our of line posting this here? Feel free to move or delet this post Admin., if so. Haz.

Do you people in the USA see the Judge Judy show? Its very popular Down Under. I was watching it last night only because it conserned a young Virginian man who was o'cing at a party at a public bar. The young mans partner was suing him for repairs to her cars dashboard and windscreen due to the fact that the firearm was accidently discharged by the young man. He stated that his partner carried on regarding the fact that she was uncomfortable with him open carring at the party and having the firearm lying beside him on the car seat when they finally left. The reason he was driving her car was because he knew the area and how to get to the venue. It came out during Judge Judy's questioning that the young man was licenced, and that he did in fact open carry at the party. He did accidently discharge the firearm whilst trying to remove the magazine whilst driving because of his partners carrying on, and the bullet passed up through the dashboard and through the windscreen smashing it!

What amazed me was Judge Judy's questioning of the young man. I know she carries on like a school mar'm because of the amount of showmanship required to keep people interested in the program. This is what she asked, and he answered her.

Question: "Are you licenced, or allowed to own and open carry a firearm in a public place?"

Defendant: "Yes your honor."

Question: "What type of MORON open carries in a public bar whilst attending an arranged party?"

Defender: "I dont know your honor."

Question: "How many other MORONS were open carrying in the bar?"

Defender: "None your honor."

I couldn't believe what I was hearing. How could she be allowed to get away with that type of questioning? Or is this just another made up show like lets pretend we are wrestling, someone may believe its true.

They do make the statement before the show that the people are real, the cases are real, the judgments are final? If so, she is very biased and anti-firearm. In her opinion, according to her questioning of the young man, who admitted he did make a mistake trying to remove the mag. whislt driving, people who open carry are MORONS?

Last edited:

rob99vmi04

A few years ago my GF who is now my wife had a roommate actually get a letter from the judge Judy show about a case she was involved in over a Great Dane. IIRC basically the show producers look interesting cases around the country and then ask the parties involved if they would like to come on the show. From what I understand even if you loose you still get paid for coming on the show. I do not watch the show because I would rather watch something like discovery or the military channel.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
I remember years ago I was working in domestic relations court. We had a case in there and the boyfriend was questioning the girlfriend on the witness stand. I almost busted out laughing when the guy asked her to admit that she in fact assaulted him on the Jerry Springer show.

Yes, they are real....and they breed.

Haz.

A few years ago my GF who is now my wife had a roommate actually get a letter from the judge Judy show about a case she was involved in over a Great Dane. IIRC basically the show producers look interesting cases around the country and then ask the parties involved if they would like to come on the show. From what I understand even if you loose you still get paid for coming on the show. I do not watch the show because I would rather watch something like discovery or the military channel.

G'day rob.

I dont watch it at all. I happened to turn on the TV early to watch the news, knowing the J.J show would be on at the time and as I walked by I heard the word open carry! I turned up the volume and watched amazed at what I was hearing. Law abiding citizens licenced and allowed to open carry in the state they live in being refered to as MORONS? The young defendant, and other o'cers, having made a mistake or not, prior to admiting he had accidently discharged his firearm being refered to as a MORON, and MORONS? Haz.

Last edited:

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
One thing worth considering Haz is the fact that the show is filmed in Southern California and features a woman raised in Brooklyn who is the daughter of Germans. Considering that she's from New York City which has some of the most self-defense and firearm hostile laws and further was raised by parents from a country not known for its appreciation for its appreciation of innocent life I wouldn't expect much more from her. I realize that not every New Yorker detests freedom or firearms (some I know appreciate both more than many others I know), but this would be standard fare given where she grew up and worked.

Haz.

One thing worth considering Haz is the fact that the show is filmed in Southern California and features a woman raised in Brooklyn who is the daughter of Germans. Considering that she's from New York City which has some of the most self-defense and firearm hostile laws and further was raised by parents from a country not known for its appreciation for its appreciation of innocent life I wouldn't expect much more from her. I realize that not every New Yorker detests freedom or firearms (some I know appreciate both more than many others I know), but this would be standard fare given where she grew up and worked.

G'day jmelvin.

Thanks, That explains a lot mate. She eagerly lives up to the name 'Judith Shiendlien' which also hints of what you have said, quiet well.

Haz.

Rob, they must be offering huge amounts of money to get people to go on national TV and vent their spleens, and put their private lives out there for all to see, even as far as way down here, Down Under? Or are some so stipid they would do it for peanuts? Do you know what their paid? Cheers, Haz.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Rob, they must be offering huge amounts of money to get people to go on national TV and vent their spleens, and put their private lives out there for all to see, even as far as way down here, Down Under? Or are some so stipid they would do it for peanuts? Do you know what their paid? Cheers, Haz.

The reigning Google answer for payment is $100 for each party? I don't know if it's worth it but apparently some folks do.

Badger Johnson

The hazard wasn't open carrying, it was trying to remove a magazine in a moving vehicle or handling the firearm.

Would have been far more credible if she'd focused on the BEHAVIOR not on the act.

MSC 45ACP

As a firearms professional, I always go into a low-earth orbit when I hear about an "Accidental Discharge" (AD).
Most of you have already heard my 'rant' on the subject.
There are VERY FEW real ADs.
For those new to the world of carrying, an AD is: "A verifiable malfunction of the weapon or ammunition".
MOST "inadvertant discharges" are actually "NEGLIGENT Discharges".

This ND happened "when he was removing the magazine from the pistol?"
What part of the clearing proceedure involves TOUCHING the trigger at all?
Correct me where I'm wrong...
Step 1: Put pistol on safe (when possible; 1911-style pistols can't be cleared if the slide is locked to the frame).
Step 2: Remove the source of further ammunition
(magazine, clip {in the case of an M-1 Garand}, or actual rounds in the case of a revolver).
Step 3: Lock action to the rear (or leave the cylinder open after removing rounds). In the case of a semi-auto pistol,
the chambered round can be caught in the palm of the hand (if the operator is somewhat proficient in his job)
or allowed to fall in a safe place.
Step 4: INSPECT the chamber, magazine well and barrel (from the rear of the pistol, of course) for obstructions.
This means rounds, spent casings or any other debris that may have found it's way into your pistol's inner parts.

Can ANYONE tell me where it says you should "pull the trigger"? Some people believe in storing their firearms with all springs relaxed. Over long periods of time, this MIGHT prolong the life of some parts (springs, etc), but those should be replaced every few years anyway.

It is embarrassing when someone that represents "us" screws up like this. It makes OCers look bad and unprofessional.
In the immortal words of one Marine:
"Mike, One 'Oh-Chit' wipes out 10 'atta-boys' "
--My Dad

Let the flames begin...
Anyone have better ideas, speak your mind!

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Indeed, he was a moron. Not for the OC, but for the improper handling of the firearm, including its position of sitting openly on the front seat, apparently outside of its holster. His association with his "partner" also makes him a moron, and the unknown facts of the case probably will show him to be a moron in many other respects. The fact that a lawsuit was involved continues the chain of evidence of him being a moron.

That said, appearing on the TV show negates ANY semblance or requirement of justice or respect, and is for pure entertainment purposes. I'm sure that's in the credits somewhere, though likely sugar-coated. Let's face it, morons on TV are more entertaining than anyone else. This explains why the media continue to ignore Ron Paul.

MilProGuy

"He did accidently discharge the firearm whilst trying to remove the magazine whilst driving because of his partners carrying on, and the bullet passed up through the dashboard and through the windscreen smashing it!"

Moron...?

I think Judge Judy pegged him pretty well.

wylde007

I think Judge Judy pegged him pretty well.
Yes, but for all the wrong reasons.

She didn't comment on the state of his intellect with regards to the ND, she specifically attached it to the act of openly carrying a firearm. It strikes of sensationalism and even, dare I say, SLANDER.

Fallschirjmäger

"Judge" Judy (pls note quotes) is to an actual courtroom what C.S.I. is to actual police investigations.

She is not an elected, sitting Judge, she's an arbitrator. Her salary is paid by the sponsors of the television show, and she works for them, not for the public. As a paid employee of Big Ticket Television, Inc., she is not bound by current jurisprudence, preceding case law, or any other rule of legality.

The participants in the television show suffer no monetary loss, even should they be found "guilty" There is an amount (typically $5,000) set aside from which any judgements are paid. The participants share any funds that are not awarded and are paid a minimum of $100 for appearing and $35 per diem (hotels and transportation are paid as well.) There may be an exchange of property, but that is something they have previously agreed to when agreeing to binding arbitration by Judge Judy.

Edited to add an interesting link I just found:
http://www.judgejudyisascam.com/Star_Magazine.html

Last edited:

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Question: "Are you licenced, or allowed to own and open carry a firearm in a public place?"

Defendant: "Yes your honor."

Question: "What type of MORON open carries in a public bar whilst attending an arranged party?"

Defender: "I dont know your honor."

Question: "How many other MORONS were open carrying in the bar?"

Defender: "None your honor."

I have seen a few excerpts from the JJ Show when turning on a TV and the channel was left on that station the night before. I don't care for it at all and mostly because of the absolute tyrannical, disrespectful, and out-of-line rantings of the lunatic on the bench. Where in the hell does she get off spouting her personal vendetta at those who pay her salary! Hear the case, issue a judgement, and move on to the next one. Yes I know, that's not what the show's all about, but if a real judge were to do this, I would be absolutely incensed. Now, as far as the "Question/Defender" items above...

Ahh... It's Virginia. There is no licensing of any kind to begin with and certainly not to openly carry a firearm. And where he allegedly carried it is not a public place. It was a private place.

There are no bars in Virginia and certainly not public ones.

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
"Judge" Judy (pls note quotes) is to an actual courtroom what C.S.I. is to actual police investigations.

She is not an elected, sitting Judge, she's an arbitrator. Her salary is paid by the sponsors of the television show, and she works for them, not for the public. As a paid employee of Big Ticket Television, Inc., she is not bound by current jurisprudence, preceding case law, or any other rule of legality.

The participants in the television show suffer no monetary loss, even should they be found "guilty" There is an amount (typically $5,000) set aside from which any judgements are paid. The participants share any funds that are not awarded and are paid a minimum of $100 for appearing and $35 per diem (hotels and transportation are paid as well.) There may be an exchange of property, but that is something they have previously agreed to when agreeing to binding arbitration by Judge Judy.

Edited to add an interesting link I just found:
http://www.judgejudyisascam.com/Star_Magazine.html
That's no surprise, at one time the Peoples Court used to make the disclaimer that the litigants were paid from a fund.