• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I know it's a long shot, but...

Should ALL regulation (OC and CC) be from the State level, and no lower?

• Yes

Votes: 13 81.3%
  • No

Votes: 3 18.8%

• Total voters

HighFlyingA380

Hi. I have noticed that, unlike many other states, Missouri allows the individual municipalities to regulate OC and CC however they want. For myself, I my permanent address is in West St. Louis county, where the municipality changes every few miles (or so it seems). Obviously, this can get confusing. For myself, I cannot OC even while in my yard, without at CCW, BUT I step 20ft. from the rear border of my property, and I'm in a different municipality, and now can. My issue with this is that all of these different rules are extremely discouraging and confusing to citizens, so they simply decide not to exercise their right to carry. All in all, what would need to be done (if even possible) to make a change at a state level, that would standardize OC and CC regulations for the entire state? I also feel it is important to look at things from all angles, so this is only my opinion. Am I overlooking something as to why this would not be a good idea?

Last edited:

repomasterstl

Your privite property you can carry all you want. May not go well with your next doorsmen but you can. "Missouri allows the individual municipalities to regulate OC and CC however they want". They can the oc thing but ccw is protected with the law. The only thing that they can do is say weather city property is posted with no go signs or not. I don't know about you but the less I have to go to any city buildings the better off I am. Welcome to the forum. :lol:

HighFlyingA380

I see what you're saying. I think I was getting confused on the various maps/lists/statutes, everything is kinda running together. Even with this new development, I still believe it should be regulated at the state level, AT THE LOWEST. (Personally, I would like to see it regulated by the feds, but that's too big of a jump to make.) The two maps/lists I have been referencing are http://eee.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?76504-St-Louis-County-Open-Carry-map and OCSTLlist252.jpg

repomasterstl

Those list are kept up to date as best as the owner of them can do. however it is impossible to do since the laws change without notice. Best advice that anyone can give verify everything yourself thru whatever means possible. Try not to depend on that list. sohighlyunlikely is the one that keeps that list as current as he can. He is only human (we think) and can't keep up on it as much as it is needed. Sullivian Publications and ??? another site is where the best to check online, but even those are not kept up to date.

repomasterstl

In that both of those for instance I see Ellisville as ok to oc but that is not true anymore (I think) some rat city attorney pushed for a change.

repomasterstl

Oh and another thing. Come to some of our oc dinners mingle with us and learn. A LOT of great people and most of the time great food. Just avoid the guy with the ass-less chaps :lol: He's special!

Freedom 1st

Hi. I have noticed that, unlike many other states, Missouri allows the individual municipalities to regulate OC and CC however they want. For myself, I my permanent address is in West St. Louis county, where the municipality changes every few miles (or so it seems). Obviously, this can get confusing. For myself, I cannot OC even while in my yard, without at CCW, BUT I step 20ft. from the rear border of my property, and I'm in a different municipality, and now can. My issue with this is that all of these different rules are extremely discouraging and confusing to citizens, so they simply decide not to exercise their right to carry. All in all, what would need to be done (if even possible) to make a change at a state level, that would standardize OC and CC regulations for the entire stat? I also feel it is important to look at things from all angles, so this is only my opinion. Am I overlooking something as to why this would not be a good idea?

Local government agencies cannot regulate CC. It is prempted under state law, (unlike OC) where they can ban it all together.
Maybe someone better versed than I can explain this further,,,,,anyone.

Firedawg314

From my understanding... the more people voice and let the repersentives know they want the state to be "legal" of OC and not regulated by the little counties and cities... the more likely it will take place. Best bet... get your CCW, research and OC at places that are considered "safe". Its sad, you can be in a city that is ok to OC wiht a CCW and then the next day, its illegal and you won't know until you get arrested.

peterarthur

I see what you're saying. I think I was getting confused on the various maps/lists/statutes, everything is kinda running together. Even with this new development, I still believe it should be regulated at the state level, AT THE LOWEST. (Personally, I would like to see it regulated by the feds, but that's too big of a jump to make.) The two maps/lists I have been referencing are http://eee.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?76504-St-Louis-County-Open-Carry-map and View attachment 7517

LEGALLY, there can be NO regulation. The constitution says "SHALL NOT be infringed". The constitution rises out of common law which has existed at least since Magna Carta and further. But since our government chooses to BREAK common law, we have to choose whether or not to break their illegal laws.

But you can carry any way you like on your property as long as you dont brandish or threaten for no good reason. But expect to get hassled anyway in the St Louis area.

HighFlyingA380

Those list are kept up to date as best as the owner of them can do. however it is impossible to do since the laws change without notice. Best advice that anyone can give verify everything yourself thru whatever means possible. Try not to depend on that list. sohighlyunlikely is the one that keeps that list as current as he can. He is only human (we think) and can't keep up on it as much as it is needed. Sullivian Publications and ??? another site is where the best to check online, but even those are not kept up to date.
In order for some one to OC legally around the St. Louis area, they would practically have to dedicate their live to reading statutes to stay current. This I why I feel we need an all-encompassing state statute, and no lower.

Oh and another thing. Come to some of our oc dinners mingle with us and learn. A LOT of great people and most of the time great food. Just avoid the guy with the ass-less chaps :lol: He's special!
I definitely want to! I'm in Warrensburg right now for school, and have been attempting to contact a few people in this area to meet. When I'm back home in Ellisville, I will definitely be on the lookout for meetings. Feel free to PM with info on them too. Thanks!

LEGALLY, there can be NO regulation. The constitution says "SHALL NOT be infringed". The constitution rises out of common law which has existed at least since Magna Carta and further. But since our government chooses to BREAK common law, we have to choose whether or not to break their illegal laws.

But you can carry any way you like on your property as long as you dont brandish or threaten for no good reason. But expect to get hassled anyway in the St Louis area.
+1,000,000

Griz

Sorry, had to vote no.

The 2nd amendment should be the top dog in this fight. No lower.

HighFlyingA380

Sorry, had to vote no.

The 2nd amendment should be the top dog in this fight. No lower.

Which I absolutely agree with, but it would be impossible to get such a large change at that level. We have to start somewhere, and I feel State level is that logical level. The only real way I see to take back our full rights of 2A is to start at state, and once the majority of those are on board, then we would move up to fed.