Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Fido, said he feared for his life...

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Cudahy, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    326

    Fido, said he feared for his life...

    Dog shoots Utah duck hunter in buttocks after stepping on shotgun left in boat
















    Advertisement


    <script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript"> document.write('<a href="http://clk.atdmt.com/AVE/go/357929678/direct;wi.300;hi.250/01/0.3421239329754659" target="_blank"><img src="http://view.atdmt.com/AVE/view/357929678/direct;wi.300;hi.250/01/0.3421239329754659"/></a>'); </script> <noscript><a href="http://optimized-by.rubiconproject.com/t/8607/13939/28193-15.3249199.3282941?url=http://clk.atdmt.com/AVE/go/357929678/direct;wi.300;hi.250/01/0.3421239329754659" target="_blank"><img border="0" src="http://view.atdmt.com/AVE/view/357929678/direct;wi.300;hi.250/01/0.3421239329754659" /></a></noscript>











    Offbeat Video

























    Buy AP Photo Reprints
















    SALT LAKE CITY (AP) -- A Utah bird hunter was shot in the buttocks after his dog stepped on a shotgun laid across the bow of a boat.

    Box Elder County Sheriff's Deputy Kevin Potter says the 46-year-old Brigham City man was duck hunting with a friend when he climbed out of the boat to move decoys.

    Potter says the man left his 12-gauge shotgun in the boat and the dog stepped on it, causing it to fire. It wasn't clear whether the safety on the gun was on at the time.

    Potter says the man was hit from about 10 feet away with 27 pellets of birdshot. He says the man wasn't seriously injured, in part because he was wearing waders. The man was treated at a nearby hospital.

    2011 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Learn more about our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

  2. #2
    Opt-Out Members scm54449's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Marshfield, WI
    Posts
    221
    I just love the gun store commandos that talk about bird shot acting like "a solid chunk of lead" at close range. Here we have a man wearing waders who takes a hit at a distance of only 10 feet and his injuries are minor. So much for all that garbage about the performance of birdshot as a close-range, self-defense load!
    ,
    IIRC, ballistic gelatin does not represent the average density of a human body. It most closely represents muscle tissue. I remember reading some comments from folks in the industry stating the muscle it most closely resembles that group of muscles you sit on!! So there you have it. Shot in the "ballistic gelatin" by man's best friend!
    Member of Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultus habebunt...

  3. #3
    Regular Member davegran's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    1,565

    Lightbulb "For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction"

    Quote Originally Posted by scm54449 View Post
    I just love the gun store commandos that talk about bird shot acting like "a solid chunk of lead" at close range. Here we have a man wearing waders who takes a hit at a distance of only 10 feet and his injuries are minor. So much for all that garbage about the performance of birdshot as a close-range, self-defense load!...
    I wonder if his lack of serious injury was due in part to the fact that the shotgun wasn't restrained from moving in the opposite direction of the shot and therefore dissipated much of the energy in just moving the shotgun backward?
    Dave
    45ACP-For when you care enough to send the very best-
    Fight for "Stand Your Ground " legislation!

    WI DA Gerald R. Fox:
    "These so-called 'public safety' laws only put decent law-abiding citizens at a dangerous disadvantage when it comes to their personal safety, and I for one am glad that this decades-long era of defective thinking on gun issues is over..."

    Remember: Don't make old People mad. We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to piss us off.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Somewhere, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    1,029
    SCM54449:

    Apparently you didn't see the photos I posted about a year ago which pictured the damage a load of #4 .410 shot does to 1/2 inch plywood at 20 feet. As Dave Gran says there must have been other circumstances involved for the guy to have suffered only minor injuries. Because the guy was duck hunting the shotgun involved in this situation was more than likely a 12 or 10 guage and perhaps steel T shot 3inch magnum. The damage would have been horrific at 10 feet with a shouldered direct hit. Don't believe me or others. Try it yourself on a piece of plywood. In the last 60 years I have hundreds of thousands of rounds of all types and calibers of bullets. In my opinion as a home defense weapon nothing is more lethal than a slide action 12 guage shotgun loaded with #4 shot 3inch magnum shells.
    Last edited by Captain Nemo; 12-03-2011 at 06:51 AM.

  5. #5
    Opt-Out Members scm54449's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Marshfield, WI
    Posts
    221
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nemo View Post
    SCM54449:Apparently you didn't see the photos I posted about a year ago which pictured the damage a load of #4 .410 shot does to 1/2 inch plywood at 20 feet. As Dave Gran says there must have been other circumstances involved for the guy to have suffered only minor injuries. Because the guy was duck hunting the shotgun involved in this situation was more than likely a 12 or 10 guage and perhaps steel T shot 3inch magnum. The damage would have been horrific at 10 feet with a shouldered direct hit. Don't believe me or others. Try it yourself on a piece of plywood. In the last 60 years I have hundreds of thousands of rounds of all types and calibers of bullets. In my opinion as a home defense weapon nothing is more lethal than a slide action 12 guage shotgun loaded with #4 shot 3inch magnum shells.
    Well, you know what they say about opinions and yours and mine will differ on at least two issues here. I can't speak to this hunter's setup or load though my steel load and the load picked by all the duck hunters I know has been steel deuces ever since that size shot became available. Countless goose hunters have learned that when shooting at canadians gliding straight in, steel BB's missing the head and hitting the body only often don't bring down the bird; even hits at short distances where you can see the impact and pattern of the BB's on the feathers.

    Regarding actual shootings with bird shot I've been personally involved in only a handful of shootings which I know is a small number. I can say all involved 12 gauge and not all were "stops". I'm well aware of the limitations of testing with ballistic gelatin; though taken in perspective it can be informative. This site shouldn't be taken as gospel but it does show comparisons of penetration with shot sizes from #8 through 00 with several slug loads tested as well: http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/view...p?f=7&t=109958
    Member of Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultus habebunt...

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Somewhere, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    1,029
    I wonder why it is then that so many law enforcement officers, people that rely on firearms for their safety, carry Remington model 870 shotguns in their vehicle.

  7. #7
    Opt-Out Members scm54449's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Marshfield, WI
    Posts
    221
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nemo View Post
    I wonder why it is then that so many law enforcement officers, people that rely on firearms for their safety, carry Remington model 870 shotguns in their vehicle.
    I should have been more clear that the shootings mentioned were all bird shot loads. I don't differ from you in my admiration of the shotgun as an incredible defensive weapon. In fact, my 870 spent its first years inside a squad. I do differ from you in the minimum shot size(s) I consider to be adequate and reliable across a variety of circumstances and the occasional influence of Murphy's Law.
    Member of Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultus habebunt...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •