• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Possible OC Meet & Greet In Huntington Area?

neuroblades

OK, I'm from Kentucky and have little knowledge of the OC friendly restaurants in and around the Huntington area but I started wondering if perhaps there might be enough OC'ers out there in the Huntington area that might possibly be interested in doing a Meet & Greet at some nice restaurants in about a month or so. I know it takes time to pull these things together. *LOL*

Some folks from the Cinci area are floating one over on the Kentucky forum but Cinci is a bit too far to travel for a few hours and on a limited budget. *LOL* So, being that Huntington isn't that far away and it's a decent size area, I figured it couldn't hurt to pitch the idea and see what others thought about it.

ArmedSociety

I've been trying to find a restaurant to host an open carry dinner in the Charleston area but haven't had any success yet. Huntington isn't that far a drive so I would definitely be interested, and I would think others in the Charleston area would be. You might also try the West Virginia Citizens Defense League Facebook page (our forum is currently down).

neuroblades

I'm not that familiar with the restaurants that might accomodate such a gathering but had pondered about contacting Golden Corral off the 29th St. exit from I-64. It's on the far side of Huntington for Kentuckians but not so far that it be a deal killer, I don't think. Plus, it would be closer for those in Charleston, I think.

I know that I've never had any problems with the Golden Corral in Ashalnd or Huntington while I've been OC'ing there.

I posted this saying that it would be nice to do in about a month, this way we'd hopefully be able to draw more OC folks thatn if it were set for a week or two away. Plus, with the Christmas holidays rolling around, I knew that pretty much everyone would be loaded down with the holidays, gift shopping, traveling, etc. and wouldn't be able to make it during the month of December but perhaps in the middle of Janruary, then things might be better to actually attend something like this and it would provide everyone a chance to show off their new Christmas allocations. *LOL*

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
If y'all don't mind a suggestion from those of us who regularly hold OC dinners in Virginia, don't call the restaurant and ask if you can hold a dinner with people carrying sidearms there. For those of us here in Lynchburg we generally schedule our dinners at locations where each of us regularly OC anyway, announce the date and then reserve a table for the number of people we know may attend. We haven't had any issue yet and I think that's how most of the folks in the other areas in VA do it too.

I don't know if y'all have actually been calling ahead and asking if they minded, but I just thought I'd share the practices that have worked for us. :)

neuroblades

If y'all don't mind a suggestion from those of us who regularly hold OC dinners in Virginia, don't call the restaurant and ask if you can hold a dinner with people carrying sidearms there. For those of us here in Lynchburg we generally schedule our dinners at locations where each of us regularly OC anyway, announce the date and then reserve a table for the number of people we know may attend. We haven't had any issue yet and I think that's how most of the folks in the other areas in VA do it too.

I don't know if y'all have actually been calling ahead and asking if they minded, but I just thought I'd share the practices that have worked for us. :)

This sounds like good advice! Being that I'm not a WV resident and just familiar with a few food places in the Huntington area, I figured that it might be best to put this idea out there and see who, if anyone might be interested in it. One of the posters mentioned posting it on the WVCDL page over on Facebook but you have to be "accepted" before you can post there and I've yet to hear anything back from them. If nothing is heard or decided by the end of December, then I'll make one last pitch and then see if the idea was worth the effort and make a decision on this. I'd like to get at least 10 people or more.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
If I have the opportunity next time we're up in Ohio I'll try to remember that there may be other OCers in that area that might want to meet up for lunch or dinner. My wife is from the South Point / Chesapeake, OH area and other portions of my own family are right around Portsmouth so we get up that way on occasion.