• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Has anyone been pulled over while carrying on our new license and how did LEO react?

oak1971

Its bound to happen sooner or later. So if you have been pulled over, please post the experience you had. I work late and frequently am driving home at 1:00am, which would be a really bad time to get pulled over and have train some LEO about my carry rights.

Last edited:

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
I Wouldn't Worry Much About It...

I haven't been stopped while carrying concealed in Wisconsin....I still don't have my "license". :(

I've been stopped while carrying concealed and nothing unexpected happened. First time was actually at a road block in Florida. I handed my drivers license and concealed carry license to the officer, he looked at each of them and asked me "Where is your firearm now?". I said "I'm wearing it." That was it. Have a nice day and off I went. Another time was in Washington and the deputy didn't even ask about the gun. Not a word.

I believe the best thing to do is stay relaxed and don't worry. There is nothing wrong with wearing a firearm so we shouldn't act like there is.

Last edited:

oak1971

I guess given the "attitude" I have seen with some LEO in regards to open carry it makes me wonder if some may hassle folks with the license. There is a long held belief by many LEO in this state that they should be the only people able to carry and I suspect that even with the new law on the books that they might like to mess with you a bit. I would hope that they are all well versed in the new law and will set aside their personal issues with carry as they go about their business, but old habits die hard. I'm not going to be deterred, and I do carry every day, but I do so with the knowledge that I might run into some Tackleberry type intent on dissuading me.

bmwguy11

Personally, I'm not going to tell a cop I'm carrying or that I'm a license holder unless it comes up in some way, or I'd inform him before I got out of the car if for some reason he were to ask me to step out of the car.

oak1971

Personally, I'm not going to tell a cop I'm carrying or that I'm a license holder unless it comes up in some way, or I'd inform him before I got out of the car if for some reason he were to ask me to step out of the car.

I've been wrestling with that issue as well. I may take the don't ask, don't tell approach. IDK....

theoicarry

I have always been cautious, especially when I was doing the OC thing, had the gun in the case in the car, out of reach kind of and so on. I am cautious because of my luck. This is what happened to me. I received my CC license on Saturday November 12th. Wow how great! We had to go to town so I put on my gun and away we went. Got about 1000 feet down the road and came up behind my neighbor whom drives about 3 miles per hour when someone gets behind him. Anyway our road has many curves and speed limit is 35 miles per hour. Came to the 90 degree corner and a County Mounty was sitting there off the road. We went around the corner and he pulled in behind me. Now I was only going like 3 miles per hour and his lights come on. I have had my CC for 30 minutes by now!!! My wife said what the he!! did you do? I know I was not speeding. The officer gets out and it happened to be someone I know quite well. He said hi, how are you doing have not seen you for a while, your right break light is out. Then I said I need to tell you something first, I have a CCW and am armed. He did not check my drivers license and said, wow! Your life has now changed, be safe.
End of story, and just my luck.
Stay safe!

oak1971

I have always been cautious, especially when I was doing the OC thing, had the gun in the case in the car, out of reach kind of and so on. I am cautious because of my luck. This is what happened to me. I received my CC license on Saturday November 12th. Wow how great! We had to go to town so I put on my gun and away we went. Got about 1000 feet down the road and came up behind my neighbor whom drives about 3 miles per hour when someone gets behind him. Anyway our road has many curves and speed limit is 35 miles per hour. Came to the 90 degree corner and a County Mounty was sitting there off the road. We went around the corner and he pulled in behind me. Now I was only going like 3 miles per hour and his lights come on. I have had my CC for 30 minutes by now!!! My wife said what the he!! did you do? I know I was not speeding. The officer gets out and it happened to be someone I know quite well. He said hi, how are you doing have not seen you for a while, your right break light is out. Then I said I need to tell you something first, I have a CCW and am armed. He did not check my drivers license and said, wow! Your life has now changed, be safe.
End of story, and just my luck.
Stay safe!

Thanks. Hopefully, all outcomes are that uneventful.:cool:

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
Don't ask, Don' tell........................?

I am not inclined to volunteer any information whatsoever, Because I fully expect some overzealous pissed-off LEO to use voluntary disclosure as shaky probable cause for a search, disarming, serial number check, etc etc etc. I do not really care to have some cop crawl up my arse with a microscope and detain me just because I am exercising a right.

M

McX

i got me a nice little stack of cards, in one slot in my wallet, they are:

CC License
DL
Wisconsin Carry card
insurance cards

if i'm stopped i hand them the whole bundle. otherwise i'm not saying jaques sheet.

msteinhilber

I know some people are of the mindset of just offering the information to avoid potential conflict, I'm not one of them. I'm not going to willingly offer any information that I am now lawfully obligated to give up. I'm not going to be part of the population willingly giving out more information than they need to officers under the premise of avoiding a power tripping cop going ballistic on them as they did to the gentleman in Ohio.

I'll stick to my rights, that whole a right not exercised is a right lost thing and all...

Wolf1477

Yep, I guess I fall under the "What they don't know can't hurt me" group. Falls under the general: Don't talk to cops, I ain't sayin' "Boo" to anybody unless they explicitly ask while under color of authority, law, RAS, what have you (long day, brain is at 50% and fading fast).

My CWL is safely tucked away, well away from my DL, so the only way it's seen is if I pull it out intentionally.

theoicarry

I know some people are of the mindset of just offering the information to avoid potential conflict, I'm not one of them. I'm not going to willingly offer any information that I am now lawfully obligated to give up. I'm not going to be part of the population willingly giving out more information than they need to officers under the premise of avoiding a power tripping cop going ballistic on them as they did to the gentleman in Ohio.

I'll stick to my rights, that whole a right not exercised is a right lost thing and all...

You have a good point. I suppose it all depends on the situation. I did not do a complete stop at a stop sign last winter at 6:00 in the morning, in the dark on a rural road which has little to no traffic and almost got a ticket, the leo was an as!. Probably if I would have volunteered any thing like I have a CC license (which was well before we had them) he may have been worse.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
You have a good point. I suppose it all depends on the situation. I did not do a complete stop at a stop sign last winter at 6:00 in the morning, in the dark on a rural road which has little to no traffic and almost got a ticket, the leo was an as!. Probably if I would have volunteered any thing like I have a CC license (which was well before we had them) he may have been worse.

At least he/she had a valid reason for stopping you, my last traffic stop was for (are you ready for this?) "Because I was doing the exact posted speed limit, and most people speed on this section of road,!!"
I thought I had it recorded, but I must have bumped the stop recording button on my phone by accident. Damn I wish I would have gotten that little quote on tape!!

stickbow95

At least he/she had a valid reason for stopping you, my last traffic stop was for (are you ready for this?) "Because I was doing the exact posted speed limit, and most people speed on this section of road,!!"
I thought I had it recorded, but I must have bumped the stop recording button on my phone by accident. Damn I wish I would have gotten that little quote on tape!!

So... did you get a warning, or a commendation? :lol:

safcrkr

That's the last thing I worry about.... I've been pulled over exactly ONE time in 45 years of driving. I was going past Vilas County fairgrounds while the fair was on. Speed limit is 25, I was doing about 28. I thought WTF? Are you serious? I pulled over, squad pulls right up next to me rather than behind, driver rolls down window and says "There's a car back there at the fair, with the keys and a baby locked inside, and I don't want to bust the window. Saw the signs on your truck when you drove past... can you help?" "Of Course" I said. He says "Then do a u-turn when I stop the traffic, then follow me back there, I'll show you which one. Thanks a lot". That was in my 1st year here, back in '91. Now they just call my cell. :)

Last edited:

Badger Johnson

I think I'd have complained to his commander for being stopped for no reason.

smithman

This is exactly my attitude. If he asks me to step out of my car, I will inform him I am carrying, then roll up the window, then get out and lock the car. LEOs have a nasty habit of sticking their body parts inside your car if you leave the window or door open.

filhar1

I got pulled over Memorial Day weekend by an Illinois State trooper for having a tailight out. I was driving a Ford Ranger in the rain and on my way to a Cowboy Action 3 day match. Behind the seat I had 4 long gun cases. On the passenger seat, I had 6 handguns in cases and a case of shotgun shells. I told him where I was going and he jokingly commented "They aren't loaded are they?" I said no and he asked me if I minded being on tv. He had a news film crew in another car. They shot a couple minute blurb on safe driving over the holiday, and I was on the news that night.
I can only remember two times I was pulled over by a jerk. Once was for speeding and he went off on how I would be in court the next week. I thanked him and told him I was on orders for Viet Nam and would be glad to stay. He cancelled the ticket. The other time, I was pulled over for a cracked windshield that I think was a fishing expedition.
90% of the times I've been pulled over have been my fault, and the Officer has been professional and courteous. Are there really that many out there that are idiots?

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
I Have To Agree....All My Encounters Have Been Good Ones...Don't Want A "Bad One"!

I got pulled over Memorial Day weekend by an Illinois State trooper for having a tailight out. I was driving a Ford Ranger in the rain and on my way to a Cowboy Action 3 day match. Behind the seat I had 4 long gun cases. On the passenger seat, I had 6 handguns in cases and a case of shotgun shells. I told him where I was going and he jokingly commented "They aren't loaded are they?" I said no and he asked me if I minded being on tv. He had a news film crew in another car. They shot a couple minute blurb on safe driving over the holiday, and I was on the news that night.
I can only remember two times I was pulled over by a jerk. Once was for speeding and he went off on how I would be in court the next week. I thanked him and told him I was on orders for Viet Nam and would be glad to stay. He cancelled the ticket. The other time, I was pulled over for a cracked windshield that I think was a fishing expedition.
90% of the times I've been pulled over have been my fault, and the Officer has been professional and courteous. Are there really that many out there that are idiots?

I have never had the bad experience but I am fairly certain there will be one here in Wisconsin as long as I continue to open carry. It is only a matter of time before a Testosterone over zealous cop pushes his "Authority" on me or another open carry person. Have video recorder ready...wish I had one of those phones that transmitted in real time to a secure location on the web.