• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SD Shooting from Saiga Forums

jag06

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Good that he was able to defend himself. Scary that his gun jammed. My PF9 does not feed hollow points, and I have heard this is normal.

MainelyGlock

Jesus, that's intense. I'm definitely going to test out any ammo before I carry it now to make sure it doesn't jam in my gun.

hermannr

I don't know that particular pistol, but consider the "I had cut my off hand". I don't think the gun jambed because of the ammo, I think the gun jambed because it did not cycle properly because his off hand was in the way (that is why it was cut). No semi-auto pistol is disigned to have the slide impeaded when it cycles.

OC4me

This pistol used was a Kel-Tec PF-9, but it appears that the jam was not the fault of the gun or ammo. It is apparent that the guy's hand got in the way of the slide as this would readily account for both the cut on the hand and the failure to eject/feed.

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
JUst a few more reasons to remember that standing square to the paper target is not self-defense training. Real life does not always allow you time to adjust your grip or move into a perfect modern isocoles stance. The same goes for the ammo you are using - you are betting your life on it so you had better know that it will perform.

stay safe.

yz9890

my pf9 cycles everything I've ever put in it. and I don't carry a defense load until I've fired a hundred rounds of it through my carry guns. that guys problem had nothing to do with his choice of gun or ammo.

real life self defense isn't an air conditioned range with great lighting, hearing and eye protection, and a paper target. rather its hopped up crazies that shoot/fight back, uneven terrain, weather, darkness, injury, multiple threats, moving targets, dialog etc that make up the self defense environment. practice as best you can. run through scenarios in your head. if possible try some IDPA. when/if it happens us, we'll be reacting to the threat and that will nearly always put you at a disadvantage. having a gun with you is a giant step in the right direction but it is also far from a guaranteed positive outcome.

Last edited:

buckfynn

Did anyone else notice the poster on the Saiga forum stated he was drinking a beer when the shooting occurred?

And he also went on bragging how he drank "about" 4 beers while was talking to the police.
From here
I sat out there and drank about 4 beers over the course of 2 hours in front of the police while I was telling them what happened, over and over. They're fine. They knew what happened, and were cool with it.

Not a good Idea in my opinion.

RR_Broccoli

Good that he was able to defend himself. Scary that his gun jammed. My PF9 does not feed hollow points, and I have heard this is normal.

That's a bit odd. Mine is the opposite. It's fine with hollow points, but not good with longer nosed bullets.