• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cpl/felon issue

briehl12

Hey there... I have a valid CPL for Washington and my girlfriend is a felon, she is seeking her rights back, my question though is am I jeopardizing her in any way when I carry? Long debate on this and I cannot find any information that pertains to that specific issue.

Dave_pro2a

Hey there... I have a valid CPL for Washington and my girlfriend is a felon, she is seeking her rights back, my question though is am I jeopardizing her in any way when I carry? Long debate on this and I cannot find any information that pertains to that specific issue.

IANAL.

If it's on your person, then you're ok. Of course, if there's a pda and her hand is resting on your hip, beside the firearm... well, ya never know what some anti-gun cop or DA will decide.

If it's in the glove box when she's a passenger, then you aren't ok, unless the glove box is locked. Of course if the key to the glove box is on your keyring, in the ignition, within her reach -- does that constitute access? Dunno.

If you are contacted by police, and they run both your IDs, her felony status and your gun possession will not make them happy -- thus they will then look for ways to screw with you imho.

She should pursue getting her record expunged. A quick google search turned up http://www.washrecord.com/

Be sure to thank both liberals and conservatives for unjustly depriving her of her inalienable rights.

Last edited:

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran

In RCW 9.41.040 (1)(a) it states its a violation if the person owns, has in his or her possession, or has in his or her control any firearm. If you store the firearm in a house and you leave while she is there, it would then be considered in her possession or control. You also need to be careful on traffic stops and other LEO interactions to have the firearm in your possession and not in a gray area such as in a center console or hidden away as the officer could construe that as her being in possession or control of the firearm.

I do not see any other reason it could impact her, other than getting a violation of unlawful possession.

IANAL

Edit: Dave beat me too it :)

Last edited:

Lammo

The question will be whether your gun could arguably be in her possession or under her control. The other posters above have accurately raised a couple of possible issues. To their comments I would add that for home storage you need a safe or gun vault for which only you have the combination. I would recommend against any sort of key operated storage. I shouldn't need to say this but do not leave a sticky note with the combination lying around. Stay out of the gray areas identified above and you should be OK. And, have her pursue rights restoration. The process is not that complicated and the forms we use in Spokane are available here: http://www.spokanecounty.org/superiorcourt/content.aspx?c=1105 (scroll down to Restoration of Gun Rights Packet). Check the website for the Superior Court in your county as they may have similar forms available.

IAALBIAAFTDPASTCBCALA.

briehl12

Thanks for the replies. No combination left around. It does get locked up at home in a safe. When her and I are out I will cc, but when its just me I will oc. She hates the idea of me even having it around her, cause she is affraid something mite happen(go to jail) or something. I have a G26 in a unkle mikes padle holster. Love it so much.

Metalhead47

That too would be my question. Of all the single and unattached women out there the only "suitable" one had to be a felon???

Geesze you've never read Romeo & Juliet have you? Or any of the great chronicles of romance of going to great extremes for that one true love?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vitaeus

The county you are in also matters, in Kitsap the DA is anti-gun, the local police forces are neutral or pro. One home owner was convicted and won on appeal a similar situation. Him and the wife then moved away from here. Get her rights reinstated ASAP to prevent further excitement.

Oh
IANAL
since apparently folks think free advice over the internet has some tortable value.

Jayd1981

Unpronounceable, except maybe in Klingon. Translation:

IAALBIAAFTDPASTCBCALA =

I Am A Lawyer But I Am A Full Time Deputy Prosecuting Attorney So This Cannot Be Construed As Legal Advice.

Don't know if you hear it much, but thanks for weighing in on legal questions such as this. It seems as though (especially with the city attorney's) they are almost always unwilling to give your average Joe any kind of oppinion at all and expect everyone to be able to afford to consult their own attorney with every question they have. Thanks Lammo.

FMCDH

IAALBIAAFTDPASTCBCALA =

I Am A Lawyer But I Am A Full Time Deputy Prosecuting Attorney So This Cannot Be Construed As Legal Advice.

O, you should SO add that to your tag line. :D

amlevin

IAALBIAAFTDPASTCBCALA =

I also like this one:

IANALBIHWA456EOLAO

(I am not a Lawyer but I have watched all 456 episodes of Law and Order):)

briehl12

Thanks for all your coments. Yes finding a new gf could be a better situation, but she is getting her rights back. She is a lil crazy to begin with, but you know what they say about crazy chicks, they are great in bed. :lol: