• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

open carrying underage

aoc

Hey guys, I was looking at the thread I posted about an emancipated minor or underage person carrying and noticed something. The law states that one has to be 18 to be unsupervised carrying a handgun "assault firearm" meaning any center fire rifle, however it makes no statement about shotguns or rimfire rifles. What is keeping me from OCing a shotgun or rimfire rifle?

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-308.7

Correction: It does make a statement about shotguns, yet only that they may not be able to carry more than 7 shells. According to that law there is no reason I couldn't carry a whole myriad of shotguns, including an 870 tactical 4 + 1. Heck, according to this law I could carry a legal pre-86' fully-auto M16 with a 20 round mag and a round chambered.

Last edited:

All American Nightmare

Hey guys, I was looking at the thread I posted about an emancipated minor or underage person carrying and noticed something. The law states that one has to be 18 to be unsupervised carrying a handgun "assault firearm" meaning any center fire rifle, however it makes no statement about shotguns or rimfire rifles. What is keeping me from OCing a shotgun or rimfire rifle?

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-308.7
Read the entire thing.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
1 - welcome to OCDO.

2 - ignore AAN. He's just trying to live up to his screen name instead of being helpful.

3 - discussion of Open Carry of long guns is generally frowned upon as a violation of Rule #14:
(14) LONG GUN CARRY IS OFF-TOPIC: This web site is focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life. We do NOT promote the carry of long guns. Long guns are great! OCDO co-founders John & Mike and most of the members of this forum own at least one long gun - but due to urban area issues of muzzle control, lack of trigger guard coverage, and the fact that the long gun carry issue distracts from our main mission to promote the open carry of handguns in daily life, we will leave long gun carry activism in the capable hands of the future founders of web sites about long gun carry. Exception: This rule does NOT apply to discussions about long gun carry in jurisdictions such as California which ban handgun carry and thus require long gun carry as a matter of public policy.

4 - Oops - siad something that I thought was correct without fact-checking myself. Nevermind.

5 - OC of long guns is going to create publicity and attention you do not want to deal with. At times you are going to have to decide if you want to endure one thing or another.

stay safe.

Last edited:

aoc

1 - welcome to OCDO.

2 - ignore AAN. He's just trying to live up to his screen name instead of being helpful.

3 - discussion of Open Carry of long guns is generally frowned upon as a violation of Rule #14:

4 - Oops - siad something that I thought was correct without fact-checking myself. Nevermind.

5 - OC of long guns is going to create publicity and attention you do not want to deal with. At times you are going to have to decide if you want to endure one thing or another.

stay safe.

Thank you, and my main reason for open carrying a long gun would be for fishing at night in not so great areas of Richmond(spring rockfish at Ancarrow's for example) and not carrying an AR down Main Street so I don't think that would be much of a problem as I most likely wouldn't run into many people.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Thank you, and my main reason for open carrying a long gun would be for fishing at night in not so great areas of Richmond(spring rockfish at Ancarrow's for example) and not carrying an AR down Main Street so I don't think that would be much of a problem as I most likely wouldn't run into many people.

Rule # 14 is one of the failings of this board aoc, and one that shouldn't be enforced as long as we allow the never ending prattle over CHP problems...but it is unfortunately.:mad:
PM me and I'll point you in the right direction.