• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Florence mall/ Florence police dept

Johnburns15

Just thought I would let everyone know that I am in the process of filing charges against a Florence police officer, the Florence police department, and the Florence mall for an illegal search and seizure of my firearm on December 1, 2011. As of right now I can't realty say more in the situation, but with permission from my lawyer I will keep everyone updated as often as possible...

neuroblades

Looking forward to the update and possibly more information on this issue.

I've read and hear about other issues around the Florence Mall but none that ever ended with a search & seizure of a sidearm.

Johnburns15

As of right now. I'm allowed to say that while walking through the Florence mall a vendor called security stating I had a concealed firearm. The security officers are not armed so they called the police departmen to handle the situation. At first the officer seemed like a nice guy. Next thing I know he removes my gun from my holster and my wallet an driver license. Then proceeds to run my information without even asking me.
My firearm is still at the police dept. I have not been able to get in contact with anyone to get it back, but was told by the officer they WILL return it because I was doing NOTHING wrong

Midwest

Thanks for the information and keep us posted and good luck. Just on principle I'll be shopping elsewhere this season...in this depressed economy...I will happily spend my money elsewhere. There are other places to shop in and around Boone County.

neuroblades

The actions by the police that you have described are violations of KRS 237.104 and violations of the Ky. and U.S. Constitutions. You have excellent grounds for a federal lawsuit under 42 USC 1983.

Ahh, perhaps some new revisions or better laws to help protect law-abiding citizens from power hungry LEO's? ;-)

Did the the OP get paperwork stating that they were "taking his personal property" or was it just just taken without paperwork? I had a very nasty encounter with a local LEO & PD resulting in the "theft" of federal radio communications equipment that was being used during a emergency assistance operation approximately 20 years ago. This incident resulted in many direct communications with then AG Chris Gorman. The ARRL & W5YI agencies were notified and their attorny's were contacted. We did depositions and were at the verge of heading to federal court over this with the AG promising a personal appearance and involvement if the PD did not return the equipment within a 24 hour period. In the end, the PD promptly returned the equipment and the PD made a formal apology. In retrospect, I should've taken them to federal court. *LOL* It took about 20 years and ALOT of patience to get rid of the corrupt cops in that department but they're gone now and the PD seems to be back to normal.

hotrod

A 1983 suit is the absolute way to go. The officer confiscated property without legal authority. If he had asked you to leave and you refused, he may have had PC to arrest/detain you. I am surprised at the Florence Police. I always thought they knew the law, I must have been incorrect. Keep us informed. Good Luck!!!

langzaiguy

Sounds like an open/shut case for you and an easy buck for you and your lawyer. Press the issue with them, I'm sure they'll be thrilled to settle out of court.

neuroblades

I was planning to do most of my Christmas shopping there...not now.
What is the best way to let the stores know what happened and that it will cost them customers? I have a feeling that if I contact security and/or mall mgmt, my message will stop there.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=39.078978,-84.675451

IDK but I'd figure that if all or at least most of the gun owner's got together and took out an ad in the local paper detailing why gun owner's will NOT be shopping there during the Christmas season or thereafter.

Midwest

IDK but I'd figure that if all or at least most of the gun owner's got together and took out an ad in the local paper detailing why gun owner's will NOT be shopping there during the Christmas season or thereafter.

I'll send a couple of bucks to pay for the ad, someone gather the money and then take out the ad...tell me who to send it to. But get the other KY boards and groups together and lets take out a big ad in in the Kentucky Enquirer...preferably on Sunday next to the store ads....

neuroblades

Contacting the individual stores and store managers, all of them, in the mall might be a better strategy. They are the ones who will be directly affected by any boycott and their money is what pays the rent on the mall space.

You're quite right Gutshot, but I was figuring that if just a few gun owners boycott their stores it might not have the full effect that contacting them and putting out it out there in the papers might have. If others that might be equally offended but might not know about this offense are made aware of this incident, it would have greater effect for our side I figured. Granted, it's cheaper to go to the stores and talk to them directly first but if that fails to work then having the paper idea prepared couldn't hurt and with the Christmas holidays coming up fast, if they're not made fully aware, via their cash flow, then they'll sail (sell) through the holidays without loss and we'll be at a loss instead.

But the stores definitely need to be made aware right now!

09jisaac

The bright side is our friend here shouldn't have too much problems getting his firearm back, or getting everything corrected.

I would be willing to pay part for an add if someone takes it out. I don't have any money and I won't til after christmas but I will pay my part as soon as I get the money.

Abock33

Who was the officer? I know a few on the force. I know more of the Boone County Sheriffs. I really like the new Boon County Constable. He got a lot of no gun signs taken down around the county.

Johnburns15

A little good news on the situation... I had my firearm returned by the police department today. Bad news is that I waited an hour and a half as they took pictures, did all kinds of paper work, and then was told they LOST my holster!!!

langzaiguy

Hmm, I would open carry (via mexican carry) down to the police station and file theft charges.

/probably bad legal advice

Johnburns15

I slid it into my shoulder holster and sit around for 45 minutes while they "tried" finding it.
I got a kick out of the reactions I got though.
"sit how can I help you"
"I'm here to retrieve my firearm"
(looks around) "umm you're here to what?!?"
"my firearm was illegally seized December first and brought here. Therefore I'm here to retrieve it"
"umm hold on"
And then I proceed to talk to 3 other officers before finally getting someone that told me he'd find my firearm lol