• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The anti's are everywhere... Even here in the northwoods.

paul@paul-fisher.com

I am not getting this "need to have a license to keep a gun in your vehicle" as posted many times, laws as written do not say what is allowed, they say what is disallowed, and nowhere in this law does it say only a licensee can keep a gun in a vehicle.

I hope I am misunderstanding you. The law does say that an employer may not stop someone who has a license from having a firearm in the vehicle which means that the employer may require you to have a license to store a firearm in the vehicle. For a citation, read my post 16

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...e-northwoods&p=1660615&viewfull=1#post1660615

safcrkr

I hope I am misunderstanding you. The law does say that an employer may not stop someone who has a license from having a firearm in the vehicle which means that the employer may require you to have a license to store a firearm in the vehicle. For a citation, read my post 16

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...e-northwoods&p=1660615&viewfull=1#post1660615

I know you meant to say this also... only IF the vehicle is parked on the employer's property. Parked on the public street, employer has no say as to what you can have in your personal vehicle, no more than what you can have at home. Their "jurisdiction" ends at their property line.

Last edited:

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA

Paul, I believe you are assuming the law only applies to license holders, nowhere am I seeing that the law differentiates between licensed and non-licensed people when it comes to having a weapon in a vehicle on your employers property.
In other words, Show me where it states that people who do not hold a valid license cannot have a weapon in their vehicle.

Look at it this way, there was no law in Wisconsin that stated that it is legal to open-carry, the law instead does not have anything that says that you cannot open carry. Therefore open-carry is legal, right?
I figured this would still be fresh in peoples minds since our rights to O-C have been reaffirmed such a short time ago.

Laws do not spell out what we have the legal ability to do, instead they spell out what we should not do.

Last edited:

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
Interesting Thoughts....

To add to what others have stated....Let's say I am an employee and my employer knows I open/conceal carry....then the employer can ask me to not bring a gun to his/her property unless I have said concealed carry license (to store firearm in car during working hours). OK....now let's say I am NOT an employee....there is no law that prohibits me from keeping my firearm in my vehicle on the property while I spend my money in their store.

My point is even if an employer can prohibit an employee from keeping a firearm on their property (without a CWL) they cannot prohibit a non-employee...ie customer.

Am I missing something? Besides, how will an employer know a person even owns a firearm unless that person tells them??

Krusty

Workplace rights

At our annual "Sexual Harassment" meeting we were given a printout concerning "weapons" on company property. It basically says that unless you have a CWP you are NOT allowed to have weapons, ammunition or explosives on company property. And if you do have the permit, these items must always be concealed within a securely locked vehicle.

So for anyone not paying for a CWP, they have no rights to defend themselves. I can see where this could very easily end up in court. It further states that anyone "suspected" of having a weapon "may be asked to disclose their personal property for inspection". I guess anyone with the financial backing could really cause some problems here.

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
To add to what others have stated....Let's say I am an employee and my employer knows I open/conceal carry....then the employer can ask me to not bring a gun to his/her property unless I have said concealed carry license (to store firearm in car during working hours). OK....now let's say I am NOT an employee....there is no law that prohibits me from keeping my firearm in my vehicle on the property while I spend my money in their store.

My point is even if an employer can prohibit an employee from keeping a firearm on their property (without a CWL) they cannot prohibit a non-employee...ie customer.

Am I missing something? Besides, how will an employer know a person even owns a firearm unless that person tells them??

If you are an employee with a CCL, they may not keep you from having the handgun in your vehicle. If you are an employee without a CCL they may keep you from having a handgun in your vehicle as a condition of employment. If you are a visitor with or without a CCL they may not prohibit you from having a handgun in your vehicle under 943.13. They can't fire you since you aren't an employee (condition of employment) and 943.13 (trespass to land) allows them no recourse.

Last edited:

Packfanatic

Eamil response

My wife left for work a couple of hours ago. She just sent me a text message saying that there was a note in her mailbox stating that she is not allowed to have a weapon of any sort while at work.

She works at Wild Eagle Lodge here in Eagle River. River Valley State Bank owns the property, however she is employed by IDM management group, the letter was issued by them.

I am going to ask her if the attached Boondockers lounge is posted.

Mr. XXXXX,
We don't have a policy that prohibits our guests from concealed carry.
Regards,
Derek Burzinski
General Manager
Wild Eagle Lodge
4443 Chain O' Lakes Road
Eagle River, WI. 54521
715.477.1533 office
715.891.0690 cell
WildEagleLodge.com

stickbow95

I found another sign up here in the north.

Sportsman's Chalet is on Old Hwy. 70 in St. Germain, the bar/restaurant is posted.

I was a bit surprised as the owner is an avid hunter/outdoorsman.

I didn't get an opportunity to talk with him, unfortunately.

Here is the site: http://sportsmenschalet.webs.com/

I couldn't find an email address.

amaixner

Mr. XXXXX,
We don't have a policy that prohibits our guests from concealed carry.
Regards,
Derek Burzinski
General Manager
Wild Eagle Lodge
4443 Chain O' Lakes Road
Eagle River, WI. 54521
715.477.1533 office
715.891.0690 cell
WildEagleLodge.com

So did he just sidestep the issue, which is about employees being banned from self-defense while at work there?

safcrkr

I found another sign up here in the north.

Sportsman's Chalet is on Old Hwy. 70 in St. Germain, the bar/restaurant is posted.

I was a bit surprised as the owner is an avid hunter/outdoorsman.

I didn't get an opportunity to talk with him, unfortunately.

Here is the site: http://sportsmenschalet.webs.com/

I couldn't find an email address.

I haven't been in there for some time. It was one of my favorite snowmobile pit stops. I didn't look at your link... does "Gary" still own the place? Doesn't make sense if he does.

btw... saw a red Jeep that looks like the one in your avatar going west on hwy 70, east of E.R. this morning, about 9:20am. That you? If it was, I passed you at the traffic signal, in the white Ford work van.

stickbow95

Yes, the owner is still Gary. It was my first time there. Gary was there as well. I don't know him at all, however the workmate I was with knows him well. My workmate was also very surprised to see the sign.

On a side note, there are some spectacular wildlife carvings by Gary on display there. Beautiful stuff.

Was that me in the jeep? Yep. Also, I do know your van, but didn't notice it this morning. You would likely recognize me if you saw me. We've talked guns a few of time at the ER ice arena show. You also dropped by my parents place in ER to unlock a GMC truck for my Dad that was running in the garage with the keys locked inside. (my oops :uhoh:)

Take care.

safcrkr

Yes, the owner is still Gary. It was my first time there. Gary was there as well. I don't know him at all, however the workmate I was with knows him well. My workmate was also very surprised to see the sign.

On a side note, there are some spectacular wildlife carvings by Gary on display there. Beautiful stuff.

Was that me in the jeep? Yep. Also, I do know your van, but didn't notice it this morning. You would likely recognize me if you saw me. We've talked guns a few of time at the ER ice arena show. You also dropped by my parents place in ER to unlock a GMC truck for my Dad that was running in the garage with the keys locked inside. (my oops :uhoh:)

Take care.

Spruce Lane, down from Lumpys, right? Gotcha, now I know you. :)

Yup Gary is famous for those carvings. Especially the fish. I'm really surprised that he'd post the place. It's not just a tavern, although it does have a big circular bar, but it's also a restaurant that's big on the friday night fish-fry thing. Oh well. There's a much better place than that anyway. It's Bucktales on "H". That one won't be posted... the owner took the same CC class with BDJ that I did, back in '05. :)