• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cutting down a shotgun... Legally

Metalhead47

I've got an old, cheap, moss egg 500 with a 28" birding barrel I'm thinking of cutting down. Had a discussion about this on another thread a while back, seems the big advantage to cutting it down instead of replacing is the cut down barrel is much thicker at the end, and therefore stronger. Has a nice flat surface on top for mounting a rail on too. And ill probably never use it for anything that needs a 28" full choke barrel.

So anyways, the law says it has to be 18" to be legal, and most manufacturers go 18.5 just to be safe. But where exactly is that measured from? Breech face? End of chamber?

Here in WA, our benevolent overlords have decided that SBSs are entirely too much fun for us peons to be legal, so that's not an option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

onlurker

Here in WA, our benevolent overlords have decided that SBSs are entirely too much fun for us peons to be legal, so that's not an option.

Solution: Install a pistol grip. We get to have this little guy, figured you can make an AOW similar to it:

super_shorty_870.jpg

Plus, it's only a $5 tax stamp :p

(would probably have to do it at an approved gunsmith though)

jeeper1

You can not cut the barrel of a shotgun to less than 18 inches legally in Washington because it would be a short barreled shotgun. Adding a forward grip would not change it to an AOW.
The Serbu shown was made from a shotgun that never had a shoulder stock on it ever. It came from the factory with a pistol grip stock instead of a shoulder stock. That is why it is legally an AOW.
It costs $200 to make an AOW not $5 as mentioned. The transfer of an AOW is $5.

Metalhead47

You can not cut the barrel of a shotgun to less than 18 inches legally in Washington because it would be a short barreled shotgun. Adding a forward grip would not change it to an AOW.
The Serbu shown was made from a shotgun that never had a shoulder stock on it ever. It came from the factory with a pistol grip stock instead of a shoulder stock. That is why it is legally an AOW.
It costs $200 to make an AOW not $5 as mentioned. The transfer of an AOW is $5.

What he said :D

That, and I'd like to actually aim at what I'm shooting at. Might make for a nice "fun gun," but not a practical home defense shitgum.

Daylen

Solution: Install a pistol grip. We get to have this little guy, figured you can make an AOW similar to it:

super_shorty_870.jpg

Plus, it's only a $5 tax stamp :p

(would probably have to do it at an approved gunsmith though)

Depending on how an SBS is defined in state law that might not make it. And its certainly more than adding a pistol grip, to not be an SBS is must never have been a shotgun.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

Metalhead47

OK, so I know how to measure the length now. Seems a hacksaw is the most common thing to use for the cut, any thoughts on using an abrasive chop saw? Or would that heat up the metal too much and mess up the tempering?

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
I would stick with the hacksaw. Just make sure you have the barrel held tight and cut straight. It would be cool if you post pictures of your work in progress if you decide to go through with it.

Metalhead47

I would stick with the hacksaw. Just make sure you have the barrel held tight and cut straight. It would be cool if you post pictures of your work in progress if you decide to go through with it.

Well that's my big concern with using a hacksaw... straight cuts are NOT my friend. :uhoh: I might need to solder/weld on it anyway afterward to keep the vent rib from sliding off.

John Canuck

OK, so I know how to measure the length now. Seems a hacksaw is the most common thing to use for the cut, any thoughts on using an abrasive chop saw? Or would that heat up the metal too much and mess up the tempering?

If the barrel is without a vent rib, I would use a tubing cutter. I've cut down a few barrels with vent ribs and have used a chop saw, but you have to go slow. I have used these barrels numerous times and have yet to have a failure.

A hacksaw does work if you have a way to square it up.

okboomer

If the barrel is without a vent rib, I would use a tubing cutter. I've cut down a few barrels with vent ribs and have used a chop saw, but you have to go slow. I have used these barrels numerous times and have yet to have a failure.

A hacksaw does work if you have a way to square it up.

mitre box?

onlurker

You can use whatever you want to cut the metal as long as you have a way to cool it. Running cold water onto the cutting surface and apparatus won't harm the tempering if you were to use a cutting disk. Wouldn't hurt to be gentle either, cut a little bit at a time and let the water run onto the barrel for a short moment when you separate the barrel from the disk. As long as you don't heat up the metal you'll preserve the tempering.

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
A chop saw is fine; just cut through it fast, no dilly dallying. That's the mistake most people make with chop saws. Go too slow, and the metal get's annealed and becomes softer. If the metal changes color beyond or darker than a "straw yellow", you went too slow.

Also, you probably already know this but just to put it out there: If it's got a vent rib barrel, pick the nearest rib to the size you want and cut the barrel so that rib remains attached near the muzzle. You don't want the last 3/4" or so flopping in the breeze.

If there isn't a vent rib you could probably use a heavy duty tubing cutter as well, to get a nice straight cut.

jeeper1

DO NOT use a tubing cutter on a shotgun barrel.
I bought a Mossberg shotgun many many years ago that someone had shortened with a tubing cutter and it as it was cutting it also rolled a lip into the bore between 30 and 40 thousandths. It took a long time to file it out.
If I was doing that now I would a friction saw and have pour a coolant on the cut as I was cutting it. Even with that you will need to de-burr the muzzle and touch-up the end with cold bluing.
You will also have to drill and tap a hole for the new front sight which will also require shortening the stud.

Metalhead47

A chop saw is fine; just cut through it fast, no dilly dallying. That's the mistake most people make with chop saws. Go too slow, and the metal get's annealed and becomes softer. If the metal changes color beyond or darker than a "straw yellow", you went too slow.

Also, you probably already know this but just to put it out there: If it's got a vent rib barrel, pick the nearest rib to the size you want and cut the barrel so that rib remains attached near the muzzle. You don't want the last 3/4" or so flopping in the breeze.

If there isn't a vent rib you could probably use a heavy duty tubing cutter as well, to get a nice straight cut.

This is what I was thinking. Yes, it has a vent rib so I can get it nice & square in the saw clamp. I was eyeballing it yesterday and I'll probably go with 20". The rib closest to 18 is a little too close for comfort. I can always cut further anyway.

Don't have a pipe cutter that size, but. Yes I've read that they can crush the barrel. It'll have to be deburred either way, I'm pretty handy with metalwork so that's no big deal.

KBCraig

The worries about heat treating are understandable, but overblown. There will not be a pressure problem at the last quarter inch of barrel.