• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Torrington Connecticut Police Department Roll Call Training on OPEN and CONCEAL CARRY

Rich B

What cases are you referring to here?

How does inadvertent exposure or printing give a cop more or different RAS than straight-up OC?

ETA: Found it:
GEORGIACARRY.ORG said:
When a person is carrying a firearm openly, reasonable suspicion of unlawful activity must obviously involve some unlawful act other than the crime of boarding with a concealed weapon or the crime of carrying a concealed weapon.

The core of the argument is essentially that concealed carry *may* produce RAS if the gun becomes visible since criminals are known to carry concealed. Also remember that it is pretty widely accepted through history and court rulings that concealed carry is a 'less honest' form of carry.

Open carry is not a practice that criminals are known to engage in. Therefore it is less than reasonable for anyone to assume that a person carrying a fully exposed firearm in a proper holster is engaged in any sort of criminal behavior from the gun alone. The courts have even mentioned that open carry is likely to be the constitutional minimum (standard?) for carry outside of the home.

What's your take on someone who goes into Walmart wearing an OWB Holster and a coat (CC), get's hot, takes coat off and is now OC?

I don't see an issue with it at all, although I have seen firsthand that people seem to react a slight bit more (still no panic, terror or anything, mostly just double takes) when a gun suddenly appears on your waist band where it wasn't before. I think that is simply because it is surprising to people that don't conceal that a (fullsize?) firearm can be concealed on your person and that they have been 'fooled'.

I think this more applies to things like carrying openly in something like an IWB holster. Hell, I have heard of people carrying a pistol in their pocket that hangs out just to open carry. The argument has been that this tends to skew things towards RAS because it closely resembles how a criminal would carry by all outside appearances.

When I open carry, I either go full open carry, or concealed means concealed. It would be rare for me to be seen in public with a pistol grip hanging out of my waist band.

Last edited:

deonesmith542

edwart peruta

Great to here your situation turned out the way it did. Unfourtunaly, for my son, things didn't go as well. He was traveling through Connecticut late 7-16-15 or early 7-17-15 on his way to Rhode Island , which is my home state. He stopped to gas up in Fairfield which is near Bridgeport. He has a Georiga carry permit, but before entering the store, to prevent any uncomfortable feeling from employees or patrons, he removed his handgun from its holster but did not remove his holster. Someone obviously called police and before he could finish gasing up 6 officers approached him guns drawn. His fiance and he 2 young daughters were terrified. He was arrested and his firearms confiscated. He has a court appearance schedule for 7-30-15 and we need help or advice. Anyone please feel free to contact me via email.

adk_mechetech

Great to here your situation turned out the way it did. Unfourtunaly, for my son, things didn't go as well. He was traveling through Connecticut late 7-16-15 or early 7-17-15 on his way to Rhode Island , which is my home state. He stopped to gas up in Fairfield which is near Bridgeport. He has a Georiga carry permit, but before entering the store, to prevent any uncomfortable feeling from employees or patrons, he removed his handgun from its holster but did not remove his holster. Someone obviously called police and before he could finish gasing up 6 officers approached him guns drawn. His fiance and he 2 young daughters were terrified. He was arrested and his firearms confiscated. He has a court appearance schedule for 7-30-15 and we need help or advice. Anyone please feel free to contact me via email.
I am sorry to hear about your son's trouble, but it doesn't sound like his situation is going to end well. This thread is quite old to be brought back.

Unfortunately CT does not reciprocate with any other state and unless your son had a CT permit, he was in the wrong. The empty holster *shouldnt* have gotten him arrested, but he also shouldn't have had his weapon out, knowing that he was not permitted in CT. I cannot say I agree with the laws as they are, but that is what we have to live with today. The better choice for traveling would have been to secure the unloaded weapon in the trunk while passing through states which one is not permitted to carry in.

I have little to no experience as i am still waiting for my permit, but I am under the impression that carry (open or concealed) in CT has become easier in the past few years.

brk913

Unfortunately what adk_mechetech says is correct. CT does not honor any other state's permit and in CT you need a permit to carry and if a CT resident even to transport your handgun, had he had it stored properly per FOPA he would be in better shape legally, the fact he was "carrying" a loaded gun in his car that was "accessible" and wearing an empty holster is pretty damning evidence of Carrying a Pistol without a Permit, CGS 29-35: http://www.cga.ct.gov/current/pub/chap_529.htm#sec_29-35

Rich B

Have you sought assistance in Connecticut?

info@ctcarry.com
http://ctcarry.com/Forum