• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

wow wallmart is rude

rvd4now

if this is your michigan experience, then why are you talking about unloaded OC? what you are referencing has nothing to do with michigan.
what walmart location is this?
i hope you have a CPL because walmart has a liquor license...
dude, how many times did you reference california law in this recording? the manager didn't even correct you that it was michigan, so where was the state this happened in?

lmao thats because this was in ca.. i just posted a link i found ..

i said i oc at the taylor and lincoln park wm w/o any problems....

lil_freak_66

i though meijer was good.. i may beworng..

Im not sure, but i believe meijer leaves it up to the individual manager on whether or not you can OC, so one day you could go in and be fine,have a chat with the manager and eat lunch together but come back in a few hours and be told never to come back by another manager.

Walmart follows state law i believe, at least last i knew

Either way, being asked to leave has become somewhat of a rare occurrence these days given how popular OC is now.

kubel

Walmarts policy with regard to firearms is to follow state and local law, but I have yet to see this policy in writing. Meijer doesn't have a policy and so it's up to the store manager to decide.

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
correct, meijer leaves it up to the individual store, they are under the mistaken impression that counties in michigan are allowed to set their own firearms laws

Onnie

Walmarts policy with regard to firearms is to follow state and local law, but I have yet to see this policy in writing. Meijer doesn't have a policy and so it's up to the store manager to decide.

While I can not stand behind there origins, there have been several letters/emails posted over the past several years claiming to be from someone at walmart corporate stating that they follow state and local law, ive never seen it on Walmart letterhead tho

Bronson

While I can not stand behind there origins, there have been several letters/emails posted over the past several years claiming to be from someone at walmart corporate stating that they follow state and local law, ive never seen it on Walmart letterhead tho

They also leave the final determination to the manager on duty, so you have the same situation as at Meijer.

Bronson

B

Bikenut

they follow state and local law
I've seen this stated many a time and I do not think those who say it really understand what it means because.....

There are many laws governing the carrying of a pistol and a private property business can state that they follow each and every one of them and actually follow them. But that does NOT mean a person legally carrying a gun, whether openly or under the umbrella of a CPL, can automatically carry that gun in or on the premises of that business because.........

THE MICHIGAN PENAL CODE (EXCERPT)
Act 328 of 1931

750.552 Trespass upon lands or premises of another; violation; penalty.Sec. 552.
(1) A person shall not do any of the following:
(a) Enter the lands or premises of another without lawful authority after having been forbidden so to do by the owner or occupant or the agent of the owner or occupant.
(b) Remain without lawful authority on the land or premises of another after being notified to depart by the owner or occupant or the agent of the owner or occupant.
-snip-

full text of this law can be read here:

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(xnmfsz5505bptb55oodyixiz))/mileg.aspx?page=GetObject&objectname=mcl-750-552

And what that means is very simple... a private property business owner or his agent can require anyone (with the exception of a few legally protected classes of people) to leave the premises at any time for any reason. And that reason can be the carrying of a gun if the owner/representative so wishes it to be.

Hence.... a business can say they follow State and local laws and be perfectly truthful as they require a gun carrier to leave because.... the trespass law is a State law and they would be following State and local law.... as they throw the gun carrier out.

And you can rest assured that ever since open carry became main stream through the media that every business owner/manager from the big box stores down to Mom & Pop's little whistle stop are very well aware of every aspect of this "follow State and local laws" thing............

Now the question for the business owner would be whether throwing someone out who isn't breaking any laws and who's behavior is not threatening or out of the ordinary ... and who will surely get on the internet and inform all the other folks just like him resulting in lost sales/cash flow/profit ... for no reason other than they are carrying a gun is a good business decision.

The good thing is the rarity of folks getting thrown out of businesses both big and small shows that businesses recognize that those who carry guns either under the State's permission of a permit or honestly and unashamedly out in the open are predominately responsible honorable people.... and those businesses understand the "less customers = less profit" equation very well.

Last edited by a moderator:

T1mH

That manager had amazing patience. Right or wrong, you gotta give him that.

California is a communist state? You don't like the state laws, calling people names isn't the way to solve that. I wouldn't want this guy as a poster child for OC.

The guy needs to build some support at home. His wife was screaming obscenities at him for bringing the gun into the store?

Haman J.T.

Ignorance of your Rights has always been a problem in CA and many other states,including MI.OCers are a rare class of citizens who know our Rights and the laws pertaining to the exercising of our Rights,and the unconstitutionality of those laws.Our duty as Free Citizens is to educate, to the point of Understanding,our fellow Citizens! CARRY ON!