• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I got to say S&W M&P 9mm Compact is a reliable pistol.

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
I have always carried 1911's, but they have become a pain (for conceal carry). So, I wanted to try a DAO compact pistol. I tried the S&W M&P compact and I have been shooting the heck out of it. Puts it in the red at 7 yards and center mass at 15 yards all day long. I had the rear sight adjusted. The ambi-safety kinda gets in the way, but not a deal killer. I'd trust my life to this pistol as a conceal-carry with appropriate 9mm ammo. No recoil (for me), accurate, goes bang every time. I carry an insight compact weapons light. I usually carry it concealed. It's not an uncomfortable CC piece.

I handled a Glock 19 generation 4 and I was impressed. Felt great (compared to the older generations), but the Smith has Glock beat with their trigger not that the Glock is all bad, its just different for me. I'm way behind. I'm just now understanding how DAO pistols operate, work, and how to shoot them properly.

Last edited:

MilProGuy

I do not own one, but a buddy of mine swears by his S&W M&P 9mm Compact.

Sounds as if you've got yourself a winner! :D

Last edited:

09jisaac

I do not own one, but a buddy of mine swears by his S&W M&P 9mm Compact.

Sounds as if you've got yourself a winner! :D

I don't know about the compacts, but I do know that the full size gun is a great gun. I would recommend it to anyone (I already do) that is looking for a gun.

The only problem I have with it is its a striker fired gun. But that is just preference.

So far it is %100 reliable with serviceable ammo (Had some that got wet that it didn't like)
And feed hollow points reliably, I even had some winchester white box that just didn't look right. The bullets were off somehow. But they fed.

ed2276

I have always carried 1911's, but they have become a pain (for conceal carry). So, I wanted to try a DAO compact pistol. I tried the S&W M&P compact and I have been shooting the heck out of it. Puts it in the red at 7 yards and center mass at 21 yards all day long. I had the rear sight adjusted. The ambi-safety kinda gets in the way, but not a deal killer. I'd trust my life to this pistol as a conceal-carry with appropriate 9mm ammo. No recoil (for me), accurate, goes bang every time. I carry an insight compact weapons light. I usually carry it concealed. It's not an uncomfortable CC piece.

I handled a Glock 19 generation 4 and I was impressed. Felt great (compared to the older generations), but the Smith has Glock beat with their trigger not that the Glock is all bad, its just different for me. I'm way behind. I'm just now understanding how DAO pistols operate, work, and how to shoot them properly.

I have a Kahr P-9 right now that I got for CC comfort. The only problem I have is that I am a lefty, and the slide lock is set up for righties. For that reason, I am thinking of trading in my Kahr for the M&P 9 compact..so that I get the lefty slide lock and safety.

Justman1020

I feel the same exact way as the M&P compact, I've been carrying it for a while now, and love it...concealed, or open, it's great.

I use a Serpa Blackhawk for OC, and a very cheap uncle mike's for concealed, and for a 10$ Holster, it works GREAT, it doesn't annoy me at all...

I definetly do recommend the gun to anyone looking for a decent concealed carry weapon...and with the interchangeable backstraps it will work great for just about anyone.

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
I use an "Uncle Mike's" too for conceal-carry, I agree. Works good, comfortable, and inexpensive. I would like to see if a gunsmith can remove the ambi-safety. It kinda gets in the way. I would have bought an M&P without one, but couldn't find one.

ed2276

I ended up trading in my Kahr P9 for an M&P9 compact. I was looking for a gun with the slide release on the right side (I am a lefty) and the M&P was about the only gun with good reviews that was set up for lefties. The M&P9 compact they had at the shop where I bought it was priced about $30 below MSRP. With my trade-in I got the gun for $400. After I cleared a quick background check with Nevada Highway Patrol, I walked out of the store with my new gun.

I am excited about having the M&P. I've heard good things about it and read some good reviews. There do seem to be some issues with it for me though.

I got the Kahr because it had a slim profile and was lightweight. It was an easy gun to carry. The first thing I noticed was the M&P9 compact is a heavier gun, even without the added weight of a 12 round mag (the Kahr had a 7 round mag), and is wider than the Kahr P9. However, I do like having more rounds on hand in the M&P.

Next, the grip is not long enough for my hand without the finger extension mag in place. When I was looking at the Kahr line I had narrowed my choice down to between the Kahr PM9 and the Kahr P9. The Kahr PM9 was a bit lighter and smaller than the Kahr P9, but the grip was also shorter. With the Kahr PM9, my grip would have ended up with my middle two fingers around the grip and my pinky finger resting underneath the bottom of the grip. I didn't like that feeling, so I went with the Kahr P9, which had a longer grip so I could get all three of my fingers around it. Unfortunately, the second mag that came with the M&P doesn't have the finger extension; it is a flat plate. This results in my pinky finger ending up under the bottom of the grip. I know this issue is easily fixed by buying another mag with the extension, but that is an added $40 expense I had hoped to not have to pay.

Another thing I am experiencing with the loaded mag for the M&P is that it doesn't slide right into place and lock. An empty mag slips right on into the grip and locks in place smoothly. With a loaded mag, however, I am finding that I have to slap the mag into place to lock it in.

A positive is that the M&P I bought doesn't have an external safety on it.

It may sound like I see a lot of negatives with the M&P9 compact, but I am hoping the gun will live up to its positive reviews when I shoot it; and at least I have a gun that works for lefties, like me.

GlockIt

I have glock 19 third generation and I really like this gun.

After reading alot of reviews I believe the generation 3 is more reliable
than the generation 4 and its about 100 dollars cheaper.

The field strip is very simple as cleaning and lubing.

I also like glocks safe triger action its a little funny but I enjoy not having
any parts hanging of the side of my pistol.

Shots well and accurate. Only thing I dont like is the stock sights there kinda
cheap looking and plastic.

I bought this gun for carrying conceald and find that its good size for such holding.