• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

clarification required on AG materials concerning carry/transport

lbredefe

Both of the following come from the attorney general's website, specifically in the "ohio's concealed carry law's and license application"

1)
The transportation in motor vehicles of loaded, concealed handguns by
licensed permit holders is permitted.
-------------------------------
2)
WARNING:
As of Sept. 30, 2011, concealed handgun licensees are no longer required
to carry handguns in any particular manner in a motor vehicle. However,
you should carry it safely and securely. The handgun should be carried so
it is not accessible to unauthorized persons. If you are planning on carrying
a concealed handgun while driving, have your concealed carry license and
another piece of valid government identification in your possession.

if i do not have a license, how MUST i store my weapon when driving in a vehicle from my home to a place where i intend to open carry?

thank you all in advance.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Both of the following come from the attorney general's website, specifically in the "ohio's concealed carry law's and license application"

1)
The transportation in motor vehicles of loaded, concealed handguns by
licensed permit holders is permitted.
-------------------------------
2)
WARNING:
As of Sept. 30, 2011, concealed handgun licensees are no longer required
to carry handguns in any particular manner in a motor vehicle. However,
you should carry it safely and securely. The handgun should be carried so
it is not accessible to unauthorized persons. If you are planning on carrying
a concealed handgun while driving, have your concealed carry license and
another piece of valid government identification in your possession.

if i do not have a license, how MUST i store my weapon when driving in a vehicle from my home to a place where i intend to open carry?

thank you all in advance.

"Ohio is a traditional open carry state. Recently, the Ohio legislature passed HB-12 over Governor Taft's veto, thus preempting all local open carry bans even in Ohio's "home rule" localities. Unfortunately, despite passage of HB-12, a permit to conceal is still required to openly carry a handgun in a vehicle."
http://www.opencarry.org/oh.html

Non permit holders and all users of long guns have much stricter rules for carrying firearms in their vehicles. Ohio statute O.R.C. 2923.16 allows for three ways for those not licensed to carry a concealed firearm to transport firearms in a motor vehicle. The firearm(s) must be unloaded (by O.R.C. 2923.11 unloaded includes an empty clip) and carried in one of the following ways:

(1) In a closed package, box, or case;
(2) In a compartment that can be reached only by leaving the vehicle;
(3) In plain sight and secured in a rack or holder made for the purpose;
(4) If the firearm is at least twenty-four inches in overall length as measured from the muzzle to the part of the stock furthest from the muzzle and if the barrel is at least eighteen inches in length, either in plain sight with the action open or the weapon stripped, or, if the firearm is of a type on which the action will not stay open or which cannot easily be stripped, in plain sight.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_the_United_States_(by_state)#Ohio

lbredefe

thank you

thank you grapeshot.

are there any open carry events coming up in ohio? I am in the central region but would be willing to travel a bit. As a newer gun owner, I would like to ease into OC'ing with others and not just all alone.

RT48

It should also be pointed out that if you are carrying a semi-automatic, you will also have to empty all rounds from your magazine(s) before driving anywhere. If you have a magazine with rounds and a gun that magazine fits in the same car, it doesn't matter how physically separated they are, it meets Ohio's definition of a loaded gun.

If I didn't have a license, I think I would carry a revolver simply because it would so much easier to load and unload prior to driving anywhere.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
It should also be pointed out that if you are carrying a semi-automatic, you will also have to empty all rounds from your magazine(s) before driving anywhere. If you have a magazine with rounds and a gun that magazine fits in the same car, it doesn't matter how physically separated they are, it meets Ohio's definition of a loaded gun.

If I didn't have a license, I think I would carry a revolver simply because it would so much easier to load and unload prior to driving anywhere.

Please provide a cite for this, that others my benefit - it's not only good etiquette, it is an OCDO rule. :)

RT48

Same section of ORC you referenced except farther down. 2923.16 (K)(5)(a)

(5) “Unloaded” means any of the following:

(a) No ammunition is in the firearm in question, and no ammunition is loaded into a magazine or speed loader that may be used with the firearm in question and that is located anywhere within the vehicle in question, without regard to where ammunition otherwise is located within the vehicle in question. For the purposes of division (K)(5)(a) of this section, ammunition held in stripper-clips or in en-bloc clips is not considered ammunition that is loaded into a magazine or speed loader.

Makarov

Remember if you have a revolver in an automobile and you do not have a license to carry, you cannot have your bullets stored in speed loaders or moon clips. That would be just like the storing the bullets in a magazine with a semiauto.

Last edited: