Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: conceal on private property without chp?

  1. #1
    Regular Member manveru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    wiggins,co
    Posts
    39

    conceal on private property without chp?

    Is it legal to conceal a handgun on your own property without a permit? if i remember right it is but just wanted to double check.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    CO
    Posts
    104
    You can conceal without a permit on your property and in your car.

  3. #3
    Campaign Veteran since9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    6,787
    Quote Originally Posted by Deserteagle8338 View Post
    You can conceal without a permit on your property and in your car.
    In Colorado, your car is considered, for these purposes, an extension of your private residence. It's legal to carry a handgun with a round chambered, but you must not have a round chambered in a long gun.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Aurora, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    116
    Quote Originally Posted by since9 View Post
    In Colorado, your car is considered, for these purposes, an extension of your private residence. It's legal to carry a handgun with a round chambered, but you must not have a round chambered in a long gun.
    The long gun can be fully loaded and concealed or open if you are on your own property.

    An unloaded long gun is only required while transporting said weapon in a vehicle.

    http://www.michie.com/colorado/lpext...main-h.htm&cp=

  5. #5
    Regular Member hermannr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Okanogan Highland
    Posts
    2,332
    Why would you want to conceal on your own property? That does not make sense. Sure it is legal, you can do whta you want on your own property, but why bother to conceal your carry? (Unless you are talking about wearing a coat for the weather)

  6. #6
    Regular Member manveru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    wiggins,co
    Posts
    39
    hermannr-i wondered about concealing because i farm and iwb or shoulder holster is easier on the gun. i open carried this summer and i could almost shake dust out of my gun.

    Diocoles-long guns can't be chambered if they are in a vehicle, no matter what. at least thats what the game warden told me after he threatened to give me a ticket, after he drove onto my property, and had me pull my rifle out of my pickup sitting in my yard, after he ran the plates on the pickup, when it was nearly dark, when no one was outside at all. yeah i love being harassed by them for no reason.

  7. #7
    Regular Member JamesB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Lakewood, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    703
    Quote Originally Posted by hermannr View Post
    Why would you want to conceal on your own property? That does not make sense. Sure it is legal, you can do whta you want on your own property, but why bother to conceal your carry? (Unless you are talking about wearing a coat for the weather)
    Well I can't let the in-law's know I'm about to get the drop on 'em. hehehehe

  8. #8
    Regular Member okiebryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Director, Oklahoma Open Carry Association
    Posts
    449
    Quote Originally Posted by manveru View Post
    hermannr-i wondered about concealing because i farm and iwb or shoulder holster is easier on the gun. i open carried this summer and i could almost shake dust out of my gun.

    Diocoles-long guns can't be chambered if they are in a vehicle, no matter what. at least thats what the game warden told me after he threatened to give me a ticket, after he drove onto my property, and had me pull my rifle out of my pickup sitting in my yard, after he ran the plates on the pickup, when it was nearly dark, when no one was outside at all. yeah i love being harassed by them for no reason.
    Did this game warden have reasonable articulable suspicion that a crime had been or was about to be committed? Or did you just willingly give up your right to be free from unreasonable searches and seizures by consenting?

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    1,187
    Quote Originally Posted by hermannr View Post
    Why would you want to conceal on your own property? That does not make sense. Sure it is legal, you can do whta you want on your own property, but why bother to conceal your carry? (Unless you are talking about wearing a coat for the weather)
    Hypothetical rhetorical: If I lived in a dodgy neighborhood, or owned property in such in the city of Denver, and I pulled into the driveway of such, could I CC? Particularly if I was doing yard or other outdoor work and an IWB is more convenient. Moreover, if I'm also wearing a tool belt. Probably a non-issue unless something goes down or I bend over and a LEO or panicky civilian sees something other than plumber's crack.

    One that comes up periodically, if I'm at a gun-friendly friend's house and I need to remove my CH for some reason, say we're going to play football in the backyard, can I surreptitiously hand it to my CCWless wife to put in her handbag on her shoulder? Again, likely to be a non-issue, but if it becomes one, which side of the law are we on?
    Last edited by mahkagari; 12-14-2011 at 07:22 PM.

  10. #10
    Regular Member ncwabbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    rural religious usa
    Posts
    670

    excuse me?

    did you call and put a formal complaint in w/the game warden's supervisor for 'bothering' you on your own property? and if that didn't seem to get their attention, how bout also notifying the sheriff and state patrol about the incident...

    wabbit

  11. #11
    Regular Member manveru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    wiggins,co
    Posts
    39
    the only thing that he might've had was there was deer right across the road from the house, but again no one was in orange, holding a gun or even outside. he was also driving without lights on(nearly dark, was about 5 p.m.) and before he left he tried to get us to shoot at deer across the road, on property that wasn't ours. he asked if he could see my rifle, after he looked in my pickup, because its not exactly a common or plain jane gun and i fell for it. From what i understand game wardens don't have to have a reason to come on your property due to the open field doctrine. Should i have filed a complaint? maybe but i don't think anything positive would've came from it.

  12. #12
    Campaign Veteran since9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    6,787
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocoles View Post
    The long gun can be fully loaded and concealed or open if you are on your own property.

    An unloaded long gun is only required while transporting said weapon in a vehicle.

    http://www.michie.com/colorado/lpext...main-h.htm&cp=
    I'm not quite sure why you replied, as that's precisely what I said: "In Colorado, your car is considered, for these purposes, an extension of your private residence. It's legal to carry a handgun with a round chambered, but you must not have a round chambered in a long gun."

    If you'd read the quote to which I was replying, you'd have seen that I wasn't addressing private property carry. I was addressing vehicular carry.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    CO
    Posts
    104
    Quote Originally Posted by manveru View Post
    Is it legal to conceal a handgun on your own property without a permit? if i remember right it is but just wanted to double check.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deserteagle8338 View Post
    You can conceal without a permit on your property and in your car.
    Quote Originally Posted by since9 View Post
    In Colorado, your car is considered, for these purposes, an extension of your private residence. It's legal to carry a handgun with a round chambered, but you must not have a round chambered in a long gun.
    Quote Originally Posted by since9 View Post
    I'm not quite sure why you replied
    Im not quite sure why you replied to mine either. He asked if he can conceal on his property and I answered the question. He was also talking about handguns and not rifles. Not looking to start an argument with you and I wasn't planning on saying anything until I saw the irony of your last post.
    Last edited by Deserteagle8338; 12-17-2011 at 11:56 PM.

  14. #14
    Regular Member xmanhockey7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Portage, MI
    Posts
    1,490
    How about someone provides cite for the law regarding long guns in a car?
    Rule #5
    (5) CITE TO AUTHORITY: If you state a rule of law, it is incumbent upon you to try to cite, as best you can, to authority. Citing to authority, using links when available,is what makes OCDO so successful. An authority is a published source of law that can back your claim up - statute, ordinance, court case, newspaper article covering a legal issue, etc.
    "No state shall convert a liberty to a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.- Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 US 105

    ...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.
    - Shuttleworth vs City of Birmingham, Alabama 317 US 262

    Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no legislation which would abrogate them.
    - Miranda vs Arizona 384 US 436

  15. #15
    Regular Member JamesB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Lakewood, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    703
    Quote Originally Posted by xmanhockey7 View Post
    How about someone provides cite for the law regarding long guns in a car?
    Rule #5
    C.R.S. 33-6-125. Possession of a loaded firearm in a motor vehicle.

    "It is unlawful to possess any firearm, other than a pistol or revolver, in or on any motor vehicle unless the chamber of such firearm is unloaded. For the purposes of this section, a "muzzle-loader" shall be considered unloaded if it is not primed, and, for such purpose, "primed" means having a percussion cap on the nipple or flint in the striker and powder in the flash pan."
    Last edited by JamesB; 12-18-2011 at 06:13 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •