• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

conceal on private property without chp?

manveru

Is it legal to conceal a handgun on your own property without a permit? if i remember right it is but just wanted to double check.

Diocoles

hermannr

Why would you want to conceal on your own property? That does not make sense. Sure it is legal, you can do whta you want on your own property, but why bother to conceal your carry? (Unless you are talking about wearing a coat for the weather)

manveru

hermannr-i wondered about concealing because i farm and iwb or shoulder holster is easier on the gun. i open carried this summer and i could almost shake dust out of my gun.

Diocoles-long guns can't be chambered if they are in a vehicle, no matter what. at least thats what the game warden told me after he threatened to give me a ticket, after he drove onto my property, and had me pull my rifle out of my pickup sitting in my yard, after he ran the plates on the pickup, when it was nearly dark, when no one was outside at all. yeah i love being harassed by them for no reason.

JamesB

Why would you want to conceal on your own property? That does not make sense. Sure it is legal, you can do whta you want on your own property, but why bother to conceal your carry? (Unless you are talking about wearing a coat for the weather)

Well I can't let the in-law's know I'm about to get the drop on 'em. hehehehe

okiebryan

Director, Oklahoma Open Carry Association
hermannr-i wondered about concealing because i farm and iwb or shoulder holster is easier on the gun. i open carried this summer and i could almost shake dust out of my gun.

Diocoles-long guns can't be chambered if they are in a vehicle, no matter what. at least thats what the game warden told me after he threatened to give me a ticket, after he drove onto my property, and had me pull my rifle out of my pickup sitting in my yard, after he ran the plates on the pickup, when it was nearly dark, when no one was outside at all. yeah i love being harassed by them for no reason.

Did this game warden have reasonable articulable suspicion that a crime had been or was about to be committed? Or did you just willingly give up your right to be free from unreasonable searches and seizures by consenting?

mahkagari

Hypothetical rhetorical: If I lived in a dodgy neighborhood, or owned property in such in the city of Denver, and I pulled into the driveway of such, could I CC? Particularly if I was doing yard or other outdoor work and an IWB is more convenient. Moreover, if I'm also wearing a tool belt. Probably a non-issue unless something goes down or I bend over and a LEO or panicky civilian sees something other than plumber's crack.

One that comes up periodically, if I'm at a gun-friendly friend's house and I need to remove my CH for some reason, say we're going to play football in the backyard, can I surreptitiously hand it to my CCWless wife to put in her handbag on her shoulder? Again, likely to be a non-issue, but if it becomes one, which side of the law are we on?

Last edited:

ncwabbit

excuse me?

did you call and put a formal complaint in w/the game warden's supervisor for 'bothering' you on your own property? and if that didn't seem to get their attention, how bout also notifying the sheriff and state patrol about the incident...

wabbit

manveru

the only thing that he might've had was there was deer right across the road from the house, but again no one was in orange, holding a gun or even outside. he was also driving without lights on(nearly dark, was about 5 p.m.) and before he left he tried to get us to shoot at deer across the road, on property that wasn't ours. he asked if he could see my rifle, after he looked in my pickup, because its not exactly a common or plain jane gun and i fell for it. From what i understand game wardens don't have to have a reason to come on your property due to the open field doctrine. Should i have filed a complaint? maybe but i don't think anything positive would've came from it.

since9

Campaign Veteran
The long gun can be fully loaded and concealed or open if you are on your own property.

An unloaded long gun is only required while transporting said weapon in a vehicle.

http://www.michie.com/colorado/lpext.dll?f=templates&fn=main-h.htm&cp=

I'm not quite sure why you replied, as that's precisely what I said: "In Colorado, your car is considered, for these purposes, an extension of your private residence. It's legal to carry a handgun with a round chambered, but you must not have a round chambered in a long gun."

If you'd read the quote to which I was replying, you'd have seen that I wasn't addressing private property carry. I was addressing vehicular carry.

Deserteagle8338

Is it legal to conceal a handgun on your own property without a permit? if i remember right it is but just wanted to double check.

You can conceal without a permit on your property and in your car.

In Colorado, your car is considered, for these purposes, an extension of your private residence. It's legal to carry a handgun with a round chambered, but you must not have a round chambered in a long gun.

I'm not quite sure why you replied

Im not quite sure why you replied to mine either. He asked if he can conceal on his property and I answered the question. He was also talking about handguns and not rifles. Not looking to start an argument with you and I wasn't planning on saying anything until I saw the irony of your last post.

Last edited:

xmanhockey7

How about someone provides cite for the law regarding long guns in a car?
Rule #5
(5) CITE TO AUTHORITY: If you state a rule of law, it is incumbent upon you to try to cite, as best you can, to authority. Citing to authority, using links when available,is what makes OCDO so successful. An authority is a published source of law that can back your claim up - statute, ordinance, court case, newspaper article covering a legal issue, etc.

JamesB

How about someone provides cite for the law regarding long guns in a car?
Rule #5

C.R.S. 33-6-125. Possession of a loaded firearm in a motor vehicle.

"It is unlawful to possess any firearm, other than a pistol or revolver, in or on any motor vehicle unless the chamber of such firearm is unloaded. For the purposes of this section, a "muzzle-loader" shall be considered unloaded if it is not primed, and, for such purpose, "primed" means having a percussion cap on the nipple or flint in the striker and powder in the flash pan."

Last edited: