• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

pricecutter ask if i'm a cop

protection

i went into price cutter to get 1 item. when i come to the register the clerk had told the manager that i am carrying a gun. the manager than comes up to me and ask if i am a cop i said no i'm not. she than ask why do i have it. i reply because it is our right and for protection. manager than says that she don't want me to bring it in anymore so i said there isn't any signs up about it. lady replies i'm sure there is, than i said no there isn't if there was i wouldn't had brought it in. so the lady ends the conversation with if there is not than there will be

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Welcome to OCDO.

Thanks for ruining it for everybody else.

We have learned through hard experience that arguing about the absence of NO FIREARMS signs is pretty much the best way to get them put up.

Instead, the suggestions for dealing with your situation run along the lines of courteously leaving and then contacting corporate or at least the district/regional manager to see if some understanding and consensus can be reached that lawfully armed citizens pose no threat to store personnel or their other customers and therefore should not be banned.

Responding to "Why do you have it if you are not a cop" is a good opportunity to go beyond " because it is our right and for protection" and do some basic education (not lecturing and not preaching) about a) the legality of OC and OCers, and b) the myth of the cops being there to protect us or them - among other things you might want to address.

Please stick around and read up on how others have handled the same sort of situation with more positive results. Try to meet some OCDO folks in your area and get involved in some of the advocacy activities they are involved in. Make your next opportunity a better one.

stay safe.

GoTigersGo

Welcome to OCDO.

We have learned through hard experience that arguing about the absence of NO FIREARMS signs is pretty much the best way to get them put up.

Instead, the suggestions for dealing with your situation run along the lines of courteously leaving and then contacting corporate or at least the district/regional manager to see if some understanding and consensus can be reached that lawfully armed citizens pose no threat to store personnel or their other customers and therefore should not be banned.

Responding to "Why do you have it if you are not a cop" is a good opportunity to go beyond " because it is our right and for protection" and do some basic education (not lecturing and not preaching) about a) the legality of OC and OCers, and b) the myth of the cops being there to protect us or them - among other things you might want to address.

Please stick around and read up on how others have handled the same sort of situation with more positive results. Try to meet some OCDO folks in your area and get involved in some of the advocacy activities they are involved in. Make your next opportunity a better one.

stay safe.

Do you really think that after saying, "Thanks for ruining it for everybody else," that any of your advice thereafter will be taken into consideration? No matter how civil and practical your advice is, starting out with basically, "you're an idiot" is not going to win you an audience.

MilProGuy

i went into price cutter to get 1 item. when i come to the register the clerk had told the manager that i am carrying a gun. the manager than comes up to me and ask if i am a cop i said no i'm not. she than ask why do i have it. i reply because it is our right and for protection. manager than says that she don't want me to bring it in anymore so i said there isn't any signs up about it. lady replies i'm sure there is, than i said no there isn't if there was i wouldn't had brought it in. so the lady ends the conversation with if there is not than there will be

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for the post about your open carry experience.

It is interesting to read how different people handle these type situations.

Firedawg314

Even though you where ... are 100% correct about our rights and its legal here in the state, you have to be a bit more "tactful". Here are some examples to use next time (hey i had to learn too)

* Explain the reason why you have a firearm/ "emergency tool" is for the fact you have a licence for it/ CCW and in that county its legal to have it OC with a CCW. Maybe explain how in in Missouri, that a; knife, baton, etc carries the same punishment as a gun and with proper license its legal to have (even though its legal in the state, but in many areas as we know of you need a CCW... remember, you have the information and if you can explain it well... 99% of the time they will go what you have said vs. Now the manager is going to report it, make a sign and try to get a promtion of keep people like us out)
* Be humble (not a wuzz), its their company/ business and we are asking to shop there. Its just like the rules; no shirt, shoes, no service. Its basially falls into that area of the law. For many, they believe since almost anyone can buy a gun then there is no regulation on who can carry it. they may have viewed you as a teenager who went and took their daddy's gun and now walking around with it. Plus the casher was the true "trouble" instead of talking to you about it, they reported it and a manager is going to "protect" their "flock".
* Follow up with a written letter to the company about what happen. Its always best to have two sides of the story. For example, I made a formal complant to Starbucks about two weeks ago about the same thing. What came out of it is this... Corporate will follow the local laws on OC. If its ok at that city, then its ok at that store. BUT... the manager may view it differently and wish to add their own rules.

Just think first, prepare of the "what if's". After all, if you paint the picture in their head that its more than just "our rights" and that a number of people shop there, once a sign is up that many people will stop shopping there. Afterall, its business... policies changes quicker than the city's.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Do you really think that after saying, "Thanks for ruining it for everybody else," that any of your advice thereafter will be taken into consideration? No matter how civil and practical your advice is, starting out with basically, "you're an idiot" is not going to win you an audience.

Skidmark did not call anyone an idiot - that would be a personal attack.

What the OP chose did do was to not consider the ramifications of his actions. He ignored that he was on personal property and choose to argue a winless point. There are better ways which have been recommended here time after time i.e leave courteously w/o completing your purchases & contact upper management w/polite letter detailing the simple facts. We don't spend money where we are not welcomed. That way maybe policy and/or the mgr. might be corrected. The way it occurred surely will not.

BTW - being a newbie may afford a bit more patience, but is not a blanket free pass.

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
No matter how civil and practical your advice is, starting out with basically, "you're an idiot" is not going to win you an audience.

Come on guys, skidmark is not the type to use personal attacks or talk down to people. Nah bro...that's doesn't sound like him.

OP, you need to just be like Arthur Fonzerelli when you run into an anti, ESPECIALLY when you're on private property -they have the power to give you the boot and anyone after you who decides to OC or CC. (sounds like they are now putting up a NO GUNS sign, which to the sounds of it would include CC as well.)

fonzsoundoff_story1.jpg

Last edited:

SavageOne

Welcome to OCDO.

stay safe.

WOW..... thanks for possibly turning a potential proponent away. While your advice may be sound, tell me what do you think the chances are that after being publicly demeaned for their first post, someone will continue to return to the forum? Believe it or not, not everyone one "gets" you right off the bat and while no one can deny your commitment to OC, yours' is not the only way to handle any situation.

What the OP chose did do was to not consider the ramifications of his actions. He ignored that he was on personal property and choose to argue a winless point. There are better ways which have been recommended here time after time i.e leave courteously w/o completing your purchases & contact upper management w/polite letter detailing the simple facts. We don't spend money where we are not welcomed. That way maybe policy and/or the mgr. might be corrected. The way it occurred surely will not.

BTW - being a newbie may afford a bit more patience, but is not a blanket free pass.

No, he did not personally attack the OP, he publicly demeaned them in their first post. Not a huge difference in my book, but I realize it does not violate the letter of the laws around here.

BTW- being a Founder's Club Member doesn't mean your way, is the only way either.

GoTigersGo

I know that he didn't call him an idiot. IMHO, it basically seemed that way. I don't know any of you guys because I'm basically new to the forum as well. I just thought there was a more appropriate way to broach the subject. Now, if he knew the OP or had a history with him, his comment would be funny.

I just thought it was a little harsh, and feared his useful advice would get lost in translation.

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
Everyone is going to live through it.

Perhaps we should do a video skit, Tony is kind of thin, perhaps he could dawn some black chaps, a sidearm, and a plastic badge. Then one could hoist him to their shoulders and carry him past the sign, when the manager ask what you are doing say "I finally found a cop I could carry instead of a gun"!

Now to the more direct point, BULL **** skidmark!

While the op may have responded some what poorly in the quest for opencarry acceptance, he did nothing of the sorts when it comes to "ruining it" that lays at the feet of the morons in power and more or less right in the libtards laps.

I understand your thoughts that the OP may have offended the manager, but frankly, folks whom tend to get offended are looking for any reason at all and while it might have been handled more smoothly, it did not ruin it for us all.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
It is interesting and telling when some are offended/disappointed in a particular user's words, they themselves then resort to attacking the messenger rather than the facts of the incident.

Self-moderation should not be used as an excuse to do so. Infighting and insulting each other will benefit no one, least of all OCDO. Might suggest that a PM with gentlemanly, responsible content would be better than such public posturing.

VW_Factor

Not that this is complicated.

If skid said that to me, or posted that to me, even after being around for a while.

I'd tell him to **** off, and I'd find somewhere else to be. It most certainly is not very welcoming.

Grape, you can look at it however you want. It is pretty demeaning..

"Hey, thanks for ruining Christmas for everyone else!".

Feels pretty bad doesn't it?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Not that this is complicated.

If skid said that to me, or posted that to me, even after being around for a while.

I'd tell him to **** off, and I'd find somewhere else to be. It most certainly is not very welcoming.

Grape, you can look at it however you want. It is pretty demeaning..

"Hey, thanks for ruining Christmas for everyone else!".

Feels pretty bad doesn't it?

Read his post again - he qualifies totally his remarks, see below.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by skidmark

Welcome to OCDO.

stay safe.

IMO - this public OT discourse is way over the top. The point has been made and is now being belabored to the point of absurdity. Anyone could have taken the early opportunity to add to the thread with a"well that first sentence is too strong IMO" but there is a point to his post. Then added a welcome to the newbie.

A PM was sent to the OP welcoming him to OCDO.

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
Read his post again - he qualifies totally his remarks, see below.

IMO - this public OT discourse is way over the top. The point has been made and is now being belabored to the point of absurdity. Anyone could have taken the early opportunity to add to the thread with a"well that first sentence is too strong IMO" but there is a point to his post. Then added a welcome to the newbie.

A PM was sent to the OP welcoming him to OCDO.

Whether or not he qualifies his remarks doesn't make it "cool" to be a complete jerk to people, especially new guys. We need all hands on deck right now with the open carry movement. The LAST thing we want to do is turn people away or even create more antis - and that's exactly what his language does.

Anywho- OP, you should look into printing some cards out like this. When asked to leave or when you see a sign it might be better for you to just hand one of these off and go about your day instead of arguing. If someone is dead set on being anti gun you probably aren't going to change their mind arguing with them with a gun on your hip.

NoGunsNoMoney-Variety.gif

no-guns-no-money-sign.jpg

nmnbfront.PNG

Last edited:

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Whether or not he qualifies his remarks doesn't make it "cool" to be a complete jerk to people, especially new guys. We need all hands on deck right now with the open carry movement. The LAST thing we want to do is turn people away or even create more antis - and that's exactly what his language does.

Anywho- OP, you should look into printing some cards out like this. When asked to leave or when you see a sign it might be better for you to just hand one of these off and go about your day instead of arguing. If someone is dead set on being anti gun you probably aren't going to change their mind arguing with them with a gun on your hip.

NoGunsNoMoney-Variety.gif

no-guns-no-money-sign.jpg

+1. Skid's point is 100% valid, but his wording is funky.

OP, in addition to getting those cards the best thing to do is simply hand the manager what you were planning to buy and then leave. This way you get your point across and thr manager is left holding his lost profit. One reason why we wouldn't want a place to post is that even if we know they don't like OC, we could still CC if we had to. If they post it removes all carry options.

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
It is interesting and telling when some are offended/disappointed in a particular user's words, they themselves then resort to attacking the messenger rather than the facts of the incident.

Self-moderation should not be used as an excuse to do so. Infighting and insulting each other will benefit no one, least of all OCDO. Might suggest that a PM with gentlemanly, responsible content would be better than such public posturing.

Sayying BS is not attacking the messenger in any way if that was directed at me, nor am I prone to posturing. It is more than a little likely that I have run more newbies off with my own lack of tact than it is for others.

My point was simple, despite lacking politically correct behavior, everyone remains responsible for their own actions and if a libtard post a sign up, it is the exposure of an idiot and that is not owned by the OP for not being mr warm and fuzzy.

I suppose it would be my fault or Docs fault moron Martin banned OC in most of the muni's he serves despite there being no impolite or even actual interaction at all, just moron Martin noticing.

Life is too short to concern with the libtards and the bans.

Redbaron007

OP, just an FYI on Pricecutter. I (and my wife) shopt their with almost daily regularity. The manager approached me a couple of years ago about OCing. We discussed it; but was going to post a sign. His sign was a rifle with the slash through it. Subsequently, he and I discussed oc/ccw again, very civil; he then decided to check with 'home office' (which is here in Springfield). I decided to do the same. Their policy is similar to many, they follow state and local laws. Which makes me think to make sure they haven't changed their mind. There may be an update. I'm sending them an email.

RPGamingGirl

"I will respect your wishes and take my money elsewhere," generally gets a back-peddling apology, heh.

edit: at other businesses, i mean (we don't have a pricecutter). Sorry, laptop battery died before i could specify.

Last edited:

hermannr

I think the proper response to a manager would be: I'm sorry mam, I will remember that I am not welcome here and not shop here anymore. Leave the item I was purchasing at the checkout stand, and left.