• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question for a LEO...

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
SNIP [evasion] [more evasion] .0009%. Wow...sarcasm. [blather] [misdirection]

Typical cop evasive blather trying to misdirect focusing attention on something else--in this case one part of the picture while pretending the rest isn't there.

"Start the smoke generators! Take evasive action!"

"Look at this! Only this! Hey! Don't look there! I order you! Don't look there! And, don't think!"

Care to explain the rest I mentioned? Unions protecting bad cops? Command protecting bad cops? The Blue Wall of Silence?

Care to explain why we're supposed to believe that the small percentage we see is all there is?

Care to explain why an entire industry--police--remained silent over the arrest, intimidation, and seizures of citizens videoing cops? Oh, excuse me, exactly one cop wrote an essay saying cops should welcome it. He didn't decry the perversion of wiretapping laws, but at least he supported citizens recording. One cop did speak up. Since you insist on paying attention to miniscule percentages, I'm sure you won't want to invalidate the significance of this one.

Care to explain why the police industry invented the term "testilying"? Yep, cops invented that for cops who lie on the stand. Not some pundit. Not defense lawyers.

Care to explain the odds of the only bad cops in those departments being in those exact locations in the incidents I mentioned earlier?

Care to continue this discussion? I relish educating new readers on the menace of bad cops, bad cop policies, cop arrogance, and the willingness of so-called good cops to look the other way, rather than act to immediately remove the rights-violators (Blue Wall of Silence). I've got tons of info just a mouse-click away. So, its your call. You can keep spouting your evasions. But, you should understand that every contrary utterance of yours just gives me another chance to introduce more info into the thread.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
The Constitution and BoR apply to everyone all the time, but only in regards to the Federal government. The states each have their own Constitutions which govern the powers and restrictions of the states. The issue is that much like the feds, the states have been doing their best to ignore their own Constitutions. The other question I have is how the 14th Amendment relates to the states and if it places the same restrictions on the states as are placed on the Feds in regards to rights and priviledges.

I get tripped up trying to plug the 14th Amendment into the equation, also.

Wasn't one of the big discussion issues surrounding Heller whether the 2A should be incorporated against the states via the Privileges & Immunities clause versus the Due Process clause?

Aknazer

I get tripped up trying to plug the 14th Amendment into the equation, also.

Wasn't one of the big discussion issues surrounding Heller whether the 2A should be incorporated against the states via the Privileges & Immunities clause versus the Due Process clause?

Yes and I have heard that Judge Thomas wanted the ruling to fall under the Privileges & Immunities clause but lost that fight.

Beretta92FSLady

[snip]

I have had this conversation in great detail with SgtScott in another thread. He is incapable of having a historical, scientifically derived conversation substantiating his opinion of a "living, breathing Constitution". He bowed out not so gracefully last time, and I am sure he will do so here as well.

[snip].

Let's see here. The Constitution under Article V allows for Amendments to the Constitution to be added, and removed - example: "
Passed by Congress December 18, 1917. Ratified January 16, 1919.

Section 1.
After one year from the ratification of this article the manufacture, sale, or transportation of intoxicating liquors within, the importation thereof into, or the exportation thereof from the United States and all territory subject to the jurisdiction thereof for beverage purposes is hereby prohibited.

Section 2.
The Congress and the several States shall have concurrent power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.

[SIZE=+1]Amendment XXI[/SIZE]
Passed by Congress February 20, 1933. Ratified December 5, 1933.
Section 1.
The eighteenth article of amendment to the Constitution of the United States is hereby repealed.

Section 2.
The transportation or importation into any State, Territory, or Possession of the United States for delivery or use therein of intoxicating liquors, in violation of the laws thereof, is hereby prohibited. "

How does such a thing occur, what makes such a thing possible?! There you go: "The Congress, whenever two thirds of both Houses shall deem it necessary, shall propose Amendments to this Constitution, or, on the Application of the Legislatures of two thirds of the several States, shall call a Convention for proposing Amendments, which, in either Case, shall be valid to all Intents and Purposes, as Part of this Constitution, when ratified by the Legislatures of three fourths of the several States or by Conventions in three fourths thereof, as the one or the other Mode of Ratification may be proposed by the Congress; Provided that no Amendment which may be made prior to the Year One thousand eight hundred and eight shall in any Manner affect the first and fourth Clauses in the Ninth Section of the first Article; and that no State, without its Consent, shall be deprived of its equal Suffrage in the Senate."

Let me guess, the Amendment was not-Constitutional!

The Constitution is a living, breathing document, not in the literal sense (I am sure you know none of us are proposing that!), but in the functional sense. The Constitution does not change itself, but is changed by people, as outlined as a Constitutional 'act' within the Constitution.

Now onto the Interpretive nature of the Constitution:

Bowers v. Hardwick,

Lawrence v. Texas
Here, SCOTUS previously (1986) Found that sodomy is not Constitutionally protected, then, by some miraculous 'some...thing!', was later (2003) Found to be Constitutionally protected. How did such a thing occur - it was obviously derived from a Natural Law source that apparently changed its mind, right!

slowfiveoh

Let's see here. The Constitution under Article V allows for Amendments to the Constitution to be added, and removed - example: "
Passed by Congress December 18, 1917. Ratified January 16, 1919.

Section 1.
After one year from the ratification of this article the manufacture, sale, or transportation of intoxicating liquors within, the importation thereof into, or the exportation thereof from the United States and all territory subject to the jurisdiction thereof for beverage purposes is hereby prohibited.

Section 2.
The Congress and the several States shall have concurrent power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.

[SIZE=+1]Amendment XXI[/SIZE]
Passed by Congress February 20, 1933. Ratified December 5, 1933.
Section 1.
The eighteenth article of amendment to the Constitution of the United States is hereby repealed.

Section 2.
The transportation or importation into any State, Territory, or Possession of the United States for delivery or use therein of intoxicating liquors, in violation of the laws thereof, is hereby prohibited. "

How does such a thing occur, what makes such a thing possible?! There you go: "The Congress, whenever two thirds of both Houses shall deem it necessary, shall propose Amendments to this Constitution, or, on the Application of the Legislatures of two thirds of the several States, shall call a Convention for proposing Amendments, which, in either Case, shall be valid to all Intents and Purposes, as Part of this Constitution, when ratified by the Legislatures of three fourths of the several States or by Conventions in three fourths thereof, as the one or the other Mode of Ratification may be proposed by the Congress; Provided that no Amendment which may be made prior to the Year One thousand eight hundred and eight shall in any Manner affect the first and fourth Clauses in the Ninth Section of the first Article; and that no State, without its Consent, shall be deprived of its equal Suffrage in the Senate."

Let me guess, the Amendment was not-Constitutional!

The Constitution is a living, breathing document, not in the literal sense (I am sure you know none of us are proposing that!), but in the functional sense. The Constitution does not change itself, but is changed by people, as outlined as a Constitutional 'act' within the Constitution.

Now onto the Interpretive nature of the Constitution:

Bowers v. Hardwick,

Lawrence v. Texas
Here, SCOTUS previously (1986) Found that sodomy is not Constitutionally protected, then, by some miraculous 'some...thing!', was later (2003) Found to be Constitutionally protected. How did such a thing occur - it was obviously derived from a Natural Law source that apparently changed its mind, right!

This may be the only cogent statement you have ever made. I am very proud of you right now.

This is great, except, this is not SgtScotts structure of belief in regards to the concept of "living, breathing document".

Posting the Amendment process does show, like any other legal statute or paper, that there is a procedure specifically in place to amend or remove amendments.

This makes it "living" or "breathing" in the same way litigation to change an unconstitutional law by judiciary challenge makes the law "living and breathing".

The Constitution is law.
The Constitution says some things, and does not say or specify others.
The Constitution does not have sentience.

Per prior conversations with SgtScott, all of which were in the Tennessee section, his belief of a "...living, breathing, Constitution" is one more in tune with the standard liberal fare of all things Constitution oriented. Historically, that is to say, that all amendments can be adjusted, enforced, or dismissed "on the fly", with no adherence to the amendment process you have just outlined.

SgtScott31

Typical cop evasive blather trying to misdirect focusing attention on something else--in this case one part of the picture while pretending the rest isn't there.

"Start the smoke generators! Take evasive action!"

"Look at this! Only this! Hey! Don't look there! I order you! Don't look there! And, don't think!"

Care to explain the rest I mentioned? Unions protecting bad cops? Command protecting bad cops? The Blue Wall of Silence?

Care to explain why we're supposed to believe that the small percentage we see is all there is?

Care to explain why an entire industry--police--remained silent over the arrest, intimidation, and seizures of citizens videoing cops? Oh, excuse me, exactly one cop wrote an essay saying cops should welcome it. He didn't decry the perversion of wiretapping laws, but at least he supported citizens recording. One cop did speak up. Since you insist on paying attention to miniscule percentages, I'm sure you won't want to invalidate the significance of this one.

Care to explain why the police industry invented the term "testilying"? Yep, cops invented that for cops who lie on the stand. Not some pundit. Not defense lawyers.

Care to explain the odds of the only bad cops in those departments being in those exact locations in the incidents I mentioned earlier?

Care to continue this discussion? I relish educating new readers on the menace of bad cops, bad cop policies, cop arrogance, and the willingness of so-called good cops to look the other way, rather than act to immediately remove the rights-violators (Blue Wall of Silence). I've got tons of info just a mouse-click away. So, its your call. You can keep spouting your evasions. But, you should understand that every contrary utterance of yours just gives me another chance to introduce more info into the thread.

Post whatever you like. You're one to talk about "blabber." This whole post is nothing but biased opinions of officers. What are you going to post? Media stories about crooked cops from the internet? You can post one thousand of them on this thread. It still doesn't disprove exactly what I stated. Even if there's 20,000 crooked officers in this country (which is an over-exaggeration), it's still less than a fraction of a percent of all of the ones doing the job right and protecting people on an hourly basis, all the while risking their lives every day. What do you do for a living aside from sitting behind a monitor spouting nothing but anti-LEO sentiment? I know there's people like you all over this country. Luckily not that many.

I could care less how much negativity you post about police officers. You might as well add prosecutors, judges, and legislators to the mix too. It's the lawmakers and judges, including those at the highest court in this country, that allow states to regulate firearm carry. Seems you're just trying to throw it all on the actual law enforcers. If you have such a problem with the way firearms are regulated, then go do something about it. Running around on this forum talking about how much you hate cops and government in general doesn't impress me (or likely anyone else).

On a side note, to suggest that the only ones lying in court are the LEOs just blares how ignorant you are of the real world. I suggest you actually enter a courtroom before you act like you know what you're talking about; or better yet, go ride with an officer for a couple shifts. Come out of the bubble behind the monitor and quit believing everything you read.

Per prior conversations with SgtScott, all of which were in the Tennessee section, his belief of a "...living, breathing, Constitution" is one more in tune with the standard liberal fare of all things Constitution oriented. Historically, that is to say, that all amendments can be adjusted, enforced, or dismissed "on the fly", with no adherence to the amendment process you have just outlined.

No Constitutional amendments have ever been "dismissed on the fly." You just make that generalization because the courts (including SCOTUS) don't interpret the 2nd Amendment as you do. The 1st, 4th, 5th, 6th, and 8th Amendments are challenged every hour of every day in state and federal courts across this country and they have never been dismissed. I attend court on a monthly basis and have read hundreds of state and federal cases in the last 18 - 20 months involving criminal and civil law. I don't see any trend in the court system where they are dismissing anything.

SgtScott, for us to have laws worth the paper they are written on, they must be as close to solid in intent, purpose, and meaning as possible. Any sort of research conducted on your behalf into the ratification of the Constitution will lead you to the same conclusion as the vast majority of Constitutional scholars. It makes 0 sense to make foundational law that waves like fields of wheat in the lightest judicial breeze. Research will help you greatly here.

Until you conduct research, and can make citations with historical referendum, particularly framer comments supporting your position, your opinion on the matter is no more valuable than the bath tissue I wipe my posterior with.

So who are these Constitutional scholars you are referring to? I guess none of them are judges/justices on state/federal courts (including SCOTUS) even though they make rulings involving the Constitution every day. I'm sure the scholars you refer to are the ones who are in disagreement with how things are being handled legislatively and judicially today (particularly involving the 2nd Amendment). It's not a surprise that you want "framer comments" or "historical referendum" to support how I come to my conclusions. Problem is, my opinions come from what is occurring today and how people in the legislative and judicial bodies are interpreting the Constitution on questions/issues that need to be solved in the year 2012. Foundational law does not "wave like fields." Thousands upon thousands of cases have been ruled on the same way that have attempted to challenge many of the Constitutional amendments. Where is all of this "dismissing" you're referring to? How many judicial opinions do you seriously read? Are you just stuck on reading/believing one historian or "scholar's" opinion on things involving the Constitution? I would think not. Problem is, just because other "scholars" have differing opinions than the ones you believe in doesn't necessarily make them wrong. I don't agree with every law or every opinion/decision a court makes, but I believe that most decisions that come out of the courtroom are the correct ones.

p.s. Do you think I seriously care what you think of my posts here? Know what I think of when I step away from the computer? Not you or anyone else that throw insults about me, my profession, or those that serve this country honorably.

Last edited:

slowfiveoh

p.s. Do you think I seriously care what you think of my posts here? Know what I think of when I step away from the computer? Not you or anyone else that throw insults about me, my profession, or those that serve this country honorably.

You are so undereducated on the topic as to be utterly meaningless to reply to. You have not ever substantiated your position on the Constitution with historical perspective. When I say "Constitutional Scholar", you get completely lost.

oh and p.s.

I have honorably served my country.
I did it without being in an air conditioned cruiser somewhere between Lowes and Kmart.
I don't have to create a fantasy that LEO face some sort of high mortality rate in complete contrary to the facts.
I haven't been involved with teaching students at the Police Academy, so I do not have a sentimental attachment to the status of LEO in the field, corrupt, or non-corrupt, as you do.

With names like Mehserle, Birk, Harless, and uncountable others, there is good reason to fear for ones life when merely being stopped by the police, even in a consensual manner.

If you cannot process this, then that is your own shortcoming. A shortcoming most certainly brought on by your affiliation, and expectation of officers you have trained.

Nobody cares about the good "90%" stopping them guy, they care about the bad 10% who want to ruin their lives for a myriad of reasons. It is for this reason law enforcement has shifted from a perceived "honorable" profession, to one of at best indifference, at worst, disdain.

It's too bad I didn't have a badge man.
Then I could "accidentally" pull out my pistol and shoot a handcuffed citizen in the back, then get away with 1/100th the sentence (If any!) that would be applied to a normal citizen.

Then I could harass first nation wood carvers up to, and including, shooting them in the back. That'll teach him for being deaf! Then I could go home to family and at worst, lose my job. Badges are sweet!

Then I could pull over a motorist with a government permission slip to carry and threaten to shoot him while my partner smiles and nods in confirmation that he would be a good witness to your death.

I can go on, and on, and on. This literally could take up several pages of this thread.

All of this you would wantonly dismiss as an "oddity", yet it happens persistently in society. Then you wonder why citizens adopt the "Oh please don't shoot me" posture when approached by Barney Fife.

However, this is not the worst part of corresponding with you in general there "SgtScott".

No, the worst part, is we have an experienced lawyer sharing with you his direct experience in seeing first hand the testimony alteration on behalf of law enforcement that does, as a matter of absolute fact, occur all the time in cases. Experience you dismiss because it does not fit into the tiny structure of your own shortsighted world.

Cops are the same as plumbers.
Not all of them actually want to fix your crap.

Cops are like carpenters.
Some want to frame a scene to understand the situation. Others just want to frame you.

Cops are like every other human being out there, and damn right, they have altered their testimonies repeatedly, often times, in the same case.

I am sure you get a ton of this courtroom experience in the academy though. :)

Last edited:

SgtScott31

With names like Mehserle, Birk, Harless, and uncountable others, there is good reason to fear for ones life when merely being stopped by the police, even in a consensual manner.

Now I really think you're bordering on paranoia and delusion.

I have honorably served my country.

Thousands of those you served with wear the badge. Guess they're a bunch of bootleg thugs waiting to shoot someone too.

Nobody cares about the good "90%" stopping them guy, they care about the bad 10% who want to ruin their lives for a myriad of reasons. It is for this reason law enforcement has shifted from a perceived "honorable" profession, to one of at best indifference, at worst, disdain.

If you seriously think the LE profession has gotten worse since the 70s/80s you have been living in a cave.

No, the worst part, is we have an experienced lawyer sharing with you his direct experience in seeing first hand the testimony alteration on behalf of law enforcement that does, as a matter of absolute fact, occur all the time in cases. Experience you dismiss because it does not fit into the tiny structure of your own shortsighted world

You seriously think I'm going to give 100% weight to one attorney (on an internet forum whom I don't know) serving in one jurisdiction? You think his experiences in one city/county are going to be identical to ADAs and defense attorneys around the country? I know plenty of attorneys, both in prosecution and defense. You do realize that defense attorneys represent those that will always say they're innocent and give completely different stories than what actually occured? Ever hear the expression that 20% of the criminals commit 80% of the crime? There's some truth to it, but I guess we're to give their testimony (the criminal) more weight than the officers who continually have to arrest them while they're breaking into YOUR house or YOUR car or hurting somone in YOUR family.

Obviously you and Citizen are part of the same anti-LEO club. I'm not surprised the two of you came into a "Question for LEO" thread to give your ridiculous statements on how "corrupt" LEOs are around the country just waiting to abuse your rights. Thank God I have run across very few of your type in my lifetime. I can also thank God there's an "ignore" list for these forums. You've officially been the first person I've ever decided to add to it on the many forums I've been on. Congratulations.

Last edited:

OC for ME

I think the number is higher for the 'good' cop to 'bad' cop ratio, far more good than bad. I am convinced that the 'bad cop' issue resides squarely on LE to 'police' their own. However, this does not appear to me to be the reality today. In my opinion, it is the citizen, unfortunately, who is routinely placed into the position of purging the 'bad' cops out of LE. The success rate for the purging is low, but it does occur.

It is not unwise to ask a LEO what to do, but remember, LEOs are by and large not lawyers or judges. Their experiences with the criminal element, logically, yet unfortunately, taints their view of all citizens. Their actions based on their experience are necessary for their safety and the result of this tainted view is the occasional citizen being unjustly involved with the legal system. Even when that citizen uses, in good faith, a LEO's 'advice' to conduct their daily affairs. If you have a question about the law, ask a lawyer first, then ask a LEO and see if the two views are consistent. If they are not consistent, ask another lawyer, not another LEO. The LEO will not be in a courtroom defending you, or prosecuting you, lawyers will be.

The crux of the issue in a self defense shooting is where it took place. Inside your home, typically it goes the citizen's way when a BG is lying dead in your living room. Outside of your home, keep your mouth closed and let your/a lawyer do your talking for you. Really, all LE knows at that moment is that there is a dead citizen and a living citizen with a gun. It may be painfully obvious to a 1st grader that the BG deserved his fate, and the living citizen with the gun did exactly what the LEOs would have done, but LE does not have the luxury of acting on the obvious. I'll wager that the vast majority of LEOs wish they could act on the obvious. Why hassle a LAC doing the 'right thing', heck, even doing LE and society a favor. I believe LEOs would like to have the same treatment, from the legal system, that we citizens desire if they have to put down a BG in their living room as a citizen (off duty), obviously.

It is not LE's mandate to keep you out of jail but to provide a DA/PA with the facts so the state can decide whether or not you deserve to be in jail. My cop buddies hate, I mean hate, the process that they must put a citizen through when the obvious clearly dictates that the citizen should not experience the legal system in any way, what so ever.

I think the site owners are not against 'bashing' the bad cop specifically, they are against bashing cops generally and rightly so. Admin(s)/Mod(s), I stand corrected and retract if I am wrong on my thinking regarding the bashing part.

SgtScott31, My 1st cousin, here in South Carolina, had to defend himself and his family in his home, no dead BG, just wounded and in prison for a long time. He is a DOT trooper. He lawyered up even before the sheriff arrived. I asked him why, he is a LEO. He told me that he being a LEO means that he is not a lawyer and he knows exactly how the system works.

Oddly, he told me a few years later, that he was treated no differently than how any other citizen would have been treated. While that is the right thing, he quietly wished that being a LEO would have 'exempted' he and his family from some of the things they had to endure during the process.

slowfiveoh

Now I really think you're bordering on paranoia and delusion.

This is the fantasy you would like to portray. That these kinds of things are an oddity, so far removed from reality, as to not be worthy of fear of possibility.

What you are failing completely to understand is that this kind of behavior projects a pattern instantly recognized socially. I myself have had run ins with good cops, and run ins with bad cops.

I used to ride a 1988 CBR600F at 16 years old. I was law abiding for the most part. Yes, I was a testosterone laden junky, but, in every event I was stopped by some cop, he was an offensive authoritarian ass pulling me over for no reason whatsoever. 45mph in a 50 zone, just soaking up the rays and feeling the breeze through my partially opened visor? *wooo* pulled over.

On the flip side, and were you attentive, you would have seen my prior post in which I expressed gratitude to a cop who ironed out an abusive father when I was around 12 years old. To me, that cop is remembered in the most positive way a person could possibly be remembered.

Your motion to paint me as "anti-leo" is summarily dismissed on the basis of irrationality and complete lack of any form of substantiation.

Thanks!

Thousands of those you served with wear the badge. Guess they're a bunch of bootleg thugs waiting to shoot someone too.

Here is where the dividing line makes its presence.

You see "SgtScott", I don't have the delusion that all in law enforcement should be treated like innocent angels with the worlds hardest job.

No more than I would insist that all soldiers, sailors, marines, and airmen are saints incapable of wrongdoing. In the military, the "thin blue line" simply doesn't exist in the quantity and breadth that it does in law enforcement.

As to those who served with me, if it was in the same conflicts or during wartime operations, then yeah bud, it may very well be that the ability to cope with stress and situations mirroring combat ops may induce instinctual response in certain individuals, resulting in a gross overreaction and severe hypervigilance resulting in abuse of police powers. This is not every servicemember, but it represents a significant portion of them.

In fact, looking directly at Harless, I see a serious overreaction and perhaps instinctual response to situations wherein the sheer aggressiveness of the response is not warranted. He cannot cope on a varying scale. He goes from "it's all good", to "Kill the mother****er" in a matter of microseconds. I wonder if this could be a pattern emerging from his Marine background, perhaps compounded with the perceived risk of his LEO service?

The strikingly awkward realization is that Officers in general seem to want to absolve all wrongdoing on behalf of another officer, while veterans and servicemembers in general hold themselves to a much higher standard. When one of us "F up", there is no blue wall (OD Green wall?) protecting us. We are individually accountable. We are individually responsible. We are collectively policed.

"Integrity" is defined within the military as "doing the right thing, even when no-one is around". This is pounded into your head in basic, hangs from your dogtags, is nestled between your cards in your wallet, and often drilled by command. You walk down the halls and it literally hangs in picture frames in your units common areas.

Abu Ghraib? Yup. Happened.
Notice nobody came to absolve them by talking about how "dangerous" their job was, or how it was "an accident".

Retaliatory murder?
Notice that individuals of the unit have been charged and are now spending time in federal "pound me in the butt" prison.

Maybe if there was a Leavenworth for LEO?

Perhaps a UCMJ for law enforcement?

In either case, the differences are so striking as to the comparison of LEO to servicemember. You cannot even begin to compare the two. While both are voluntary roles, notice servicemembers have a mechanism for being held accountable for their egregious, unlawful actions.

If you kill a civilian in Iraq while on patrol, in a manner that does not coincide with your ROE, even if they were physically threatening, you may find a freshly made bunk in Leavenworth waiting for you.

If you kill a civilian in Oakland, who you already have handcuffed and sitting on the ground, you might get fired.

It is both humorous, and insulting, to suggest that LEO serves in such a dangerous role as to be worthy of admonishment and praise for any and all activities, and, that by virtue of the wildly played up "dangerousness" of their role, that they should be absolved from a great deal of their wrongdoing.

It is shameful, it is obviously underhanded, and it is offensive to the general public.

If you cannot understand this, that is your own shortcoming.

If you seriously think the LE profession has gotten worse since the 70s/80s you have been living in a cave.

You seriously think its gotten better?

One cannot even begin to calculate the amount of unobserved debauchery that law enforcement engaged in prior to the information age. Prior to camera-phones and high capacity digital voice recorders, LEO could scarcely do any wrong.

Their pen was golden, and their citations pages themselves from the book of life.

Stopped on I-5 between Bakersfield and the grapevine by a shady officer at 2am in the morning? He could plant and create any sort of situation he wants and there isn't CRAP you could do about it. Nowadays at the very minimum, they have to be wary of being recorded.

Keeps them a bit honest.

Even with the foreknowledge that they may be watched, look at the regular occurance of officer idiocy every single month.

Can one imagine what it was like prior to the likelihood of them knowing they are subject to being recorded and/or watched?

You seriously think I'm going to give 100% weight to one attorney (on an internet forum whom I don't know) serving in one jurisdiction? You think his experiences in one city/county are going to be identical to ADAs and defense attorneys around the country? I know plenty of attorneys, both in prosecution and defense. You do realize that defense attorneys represent those that will always say they're innocent and give completely different stories than what actually occured? Ever hear the expression that 20% of the criminals commit 80% of the crime? There's some truth to it, but I guess we're to give their testimony (the criminal) more weight than the officers who continually have to arrest them while they're breaking into YOUR house or YOUR car or hurting somone in YOUR family.

I never implied you should have 100% weight applied solely to user. However, if you, as an officer, sit here and in a laughable manner attempt to dictate to me that his experience is not the norm, from your seat as a LEO, I have to laugh in your face.

Of course its not the norm, for you!

Your position in and of itself makes you lean heavily one way, and that is towards the preferential belief of the prosecution, and the complete lack of wrongdoing by your fellow officers.

Also, you sit here and talk about criminals breaking into homes, robbing people, or injuring others, but you are incapable of separating the act of openly carrying a firearm, or engaging in ones civil rights because of your perverted and unfounded view on the BoR. You immediately assume wrongdoing on behalf of the criminal, and complete absolution and trust in those you serve with.

This is disasterous. It is literally what perpetuates the "us vs. them" mentality in todays society.

Obviously you and Citizen are part of the same anti-LEO club. I'm not surprised the two of you came into a "Question for LEO" thread to give your ridiculous statements on how "corrupt" LEOs are around the country just waiting to abuse your rights.

Rights can be exercised. They can't really be "abused". When you apply your own rationality to the scope of a right, then you have your own perception of what is reasonable. This may or may not jive with the perception of others, but while you are at it, you are too ignorant to realize the distinction between what you perceive to be "reasonable" does not matter within the scope of rights. This is why we codify our inalienable rights. It is literally why they are put down on parchment. Otherwise, we could literally just write one sentence to reach the same determination you and some of your fellow LEOs have already come to.

If you could, you and your kind would remove the BoR and replace it with: "Citizens may conduct themselves in a manner considered appropriate and/or reasonable by elected officials, and duly appointed and/or elected law enforcement officers."

Your own little pipe dream yes?

If a homosexual transgender clown in drag hailing from the Westboro Baptist Church wants to visit graves of dead soldiers, have at it. As long as they aren't physically damaging anything, who cares? In fact, many of the very soldiers they are denegrating are probably laughing hysterically at the sheer hypocrisy, if there is indeed some form of afterlife or second existence.

Thank God I have run across very few of your type in my lifetime. I can also thank God there's an "ignore" list for these forums. You've officially been the first person I've ever decided to add to it on the many forums I've been on. Congratulations.

When you are articulately and constructively criticized, place the opposition on ignore.

That way you win!

Last edited:

SgtScott31

SgtScott31, My 1st cousin, here in South Carolina, had to defend himself and his family in his home, no dead BG, just wounded and in prison for a long time. He is a DOT trooper. He lawyered up even before the sheriff arrived. I asked him why, he is a LEO. He told me that he being a LEO means that he is not a lawyer and he knows exactly how the system works.

Oddly, he told me a few years later, that he was treated no differently than how any other citizen would have been treated. While that is the right thing, he quietly wished that being a LEO would have 'exempted' he and his family from some of the things they had to endure during the process.

My posts have never suggested that one should not "lawyer up" involving a shooting, no matter how obvious it appears to be justified. Regardless if the District Attorney does not file any charges, a wrongful death action is sure to be filed by the family. I'm going to get a lawyer in any shooting I'm involved in, on or off-duty. I'm glad your cousin and his family were not harmed.

experiences with the criminal element, logically, yet unfortunately, taints their view of all citizens.

I don't agree with this. Does the fact that we deal with liars every day make us a little more weary to be so quick to believe what anyone says? sure. Does it taint our view of everyone? absolutely not. It sounds like you're implying that we treat everyone as a criminal. That can't be further from the truth. If anything, being in the uniform makes us a target. If we are a little more aware of our surroundings while on the job, can you blame us? Several LEOs were killed last year just for wearing the uniform, including two different officer deaths while they were sitting at a red light in their vehicle. You can't tell me that if you were in our shoes your situational awareness would not be elevated. I have always treated people like I would want to be treated unless they gave me a reason to do otherwise.

I have never implied that there aren't "crooked" cops. No matter how much investigation, background checks, psychological testing, and other selective things LE agencies do to weed the bad ones out, there will always be the ones that slip through the cracks. I understand that there are plenty of folks out there that tarnish the badge, but like I have said from the get-go, statistically they make up less than 1% of those that wear the uniform. Because of the sensationalization the media is going to spin on it, it will always appear that many more of the crooked ones are out there that actually exist. If you do the math and count how many LEOs are in the U.S. versus those that are legitimately "corrupt," it will be an eye opener for many. I'm just curious how many here and on other forums make the basis for their opinion of "dirty cops" by just what they see on TV (and the internet) alone without doing any half-legitimate research. Heck if I just based it on TV then I would believe it too.

In my opinion, it is the citizen, unfortunately, who is routinely placed into the position of purging the 'bad' cops out of LE.
I don't agree with this either. I'm not saying you're wrong, I just don't agree with it. Believe it or not it has become much harder to even get hired with many agencies across the country. They require a stable work history, credit history, clean background check, minimal amount of college hours/credits, and good physical shape. Some even prohibit tobacco use. There has been a growing trend over the years to turn the law enforcement profession into a "professional" career for those interested in the field. There is no doubt in my mind that officers are being held more accountable than they were 5 - 10 years ago. There are more agencies that are installing cameras and GPS-tracking systems in their vehicles . It is not uncommon in my area for most applicants to have at minimum a bachelor's degree when applying. Because of the liability at risk, agencies are not taking the chances with their officers. Supervision is being held more accountable. Half of the supervisors with my department have graduate degrees.

I'm not here to change your opinion OC. I'm simply stating my side of the issue. From many of the forums I have visited, this appears to be one that houses quite a few anti-LE. It seems to stem from those who have had negative encounters with law enforcement. It's probably safe to say a lot of it is due to the fact that guns are in the mix. Regardless of who was right or wrong at the time of the encounter, people must understand that the #1 (sometimes #2) cause of on-duty deaths of LEOs is gunfire. I have arrested a few permit-carriers for some gun-related charges (poss under influence, altered serial #, drug charges), but I have come across many more who didn't receive as much as a ticket from me. If you were to ask the holders about the encounter, I'm sure they would have given you a positive response. I'm not here to tell people not to carry weapons. I'm not here to tell people not to carry openly (although I don't agree with open-carry). I'm simply here to try to help some people understand that most LEOs are doing the job right. We are all human and we all have families to go to at the end of our shift. I'm ready to jump out of the uniform and spend the day with my 5 and 11 yr old. I can't stop all the bad LEOs in this country, but I hate to see all the good that's being discounted because "bad cop" stories benefit the media (and their ratings) more. I'd be glad to sit down and have a discussion over a beer and some wings.

I agree with your advice about the shooting situations. I'm not far from finishing up my 2nd year of law school and there is quite a lot involving civil/tort action, especially when it comes to serious injury/death of another. You will find that most LEOs also retain a lawyer when they are involved in a shooting. I think they catch more grief doing so because the presumption is made (by the media and/or public) that it was possibly a "bad shoot." But like you learned with your cousin's situation, we're not different in the civil courtroom than anyone else.

Last edited:

OC for ME

Thanks Sarge. Good luck in law school. When you graduate and pass the bar I'll post some of my favorite lawyer jokes.

Why do sharks not eat lawyers?.....professional courtesy. [rim shot]

Verd

Campaign Veteran

Since you are stating that good cops are in the HUGE majority and bad cops are extremely few and far between, I really only wonder the following: If you saw a cop do something wrong, what would you do? If it was during a call, would you draw your gun on your fellow cop, your buddy, your partner and arrest him or her for violating the law? Would the other good cops that you know do the exact same?

Or would you wait until you got back to the station before you brought up the matter with your commanding officer/chief behind closed doors?

The former is a good cop, the latter is not a good cop. Which are you and those you know?

A classic example of the great blue wall protecting their own even those that prey on the citizens constantly was shown during the former officer from Canton, OH Daniel Harless escapade. The whole police dept came to his defense and even the city administration until the dash cam video went viral on You Tube. Then the President of the City Council still tried to protect the rottenness that was coming to light.

The police union was a real turd in trying to protect a rotten officer in the way they did.

I am not a real fan of the news media but this time the newspaper did a good job in finding the pattern the officer Harless had done for a number of years and yet the police dept ignored the actions of this officer.

Last edited:

papa bear

Thanks Sarge. Good luck in law school. When you graduate and pass the bar I'll post some of my favorite lawyer jokes.

Why do sharks not eat lawyers?.....professional courtesy. [rim shot]

Good one.

What do you call a thousand attorneys at the bottom of the ocean?

A good start... :)

it is well known that NJ has the most toxic waste sites and DC has the most lawyers

how come?

NJ had first choice!

SgtScott31

Since you are stating that good cops are in the HUGE majority and bad cops are extremely few and far between, I really only wonder the following: If you saw a cop do something wrong, what would you do? If it was during a call, would you draw your gun on your fellow cop, your buddy, your partner and arrest him or her for violating the law? Would the other good cops that you know do the exact same?

Or would you wait until you got back to the station before you brought up the matter with your commanding officer/chief behind closed doors?

The former is a good cop, the latter is not a good cop. Which are you and those you know?

It is simply not that black and white. There are too many variables to give you an exact answer but I'll play.

What exactly did he/she do wrong? I rarely have to draw my weapon on anyone. Why so quick to "draw my gun?" There are procedures in place in dealing with police officers or other agents of the state who violate policy and/or any city/state/county law(s). If it is a clear violation of law or policy, then it would be reported and an IA would ensue. The detective would be responsible for the IA and decide whether there is enough evidence to sustain it. Then it is left up to the Chief to decide on disciplinary action. Obviously if it's something serious enough, then termination is likely and the case would be turned over to the District Attorney's office to decide whether to pursue criminal charges. LE agencies arresting and attempting to prosecute their own lead to many problems for the attorneys looking to prosecute (or defend) the officer in question. That's why another (independent/impartial) agency or the DAs office are left with deciding any legal action. Besides that, it can also be prejudicial for the officer being accused if he/she is actually getting railroaded.

So if soldiers in Iraq/Afghanistan see something they think is wrong on the battlefield, should they confront, accuse, and attempt to take into custody the "wrongful" soldier? There is a reason for a hirearchy/chain of command involving situations like the one you're implying.

Officers are not going to arrest another officer on the scene of anything. That would likely escalate the situation and things could go south for one or both of them. The right and proper channel is to take it to through the chain of command. To suggest this is done just to "hide" the actions of bad officers is ridiculous. Obviously it is possible among some corrupt agencies, but for the most part this heirarchy works like it's supposed to.

My post did not say that bad officers are "extremely few and far between." If you read it (correctly), I said compared to the amount of bad LEOs that are out there versus the total amount of LEOs in this country, it IS tiny. I'm not trying to make light of corrupt cops. I hate them worse than you do, but I find it irritating when people say/suggest that the bulk of LE in this country are out to "violate rights." It's simply not true. There are over 900k law enforcement officers in this country. Although there is no listed data of officers actually arrested (that I have found), let's say 10,000 for number's sake. 10k into 900k = .01%. Though I'm sure if we compared good LEO stories versus bad ones in the media, it would be a 50:1 ratio. So if one is to base his/her assumption of "bad" cops based on tv/internet alone, they will always assume every LEO they come across is bad/corrupt.

If you want to say I'm a dishonest/bad cop because I don't arrest another officer as soon as I witness improper behavior, then so be it. It's not the proper way to handle anything. The only time I'm going to intervene immediately is if it's causing a safety issue to the person involved and/or others.

Have you ever been part of an organziation where a chain of command is used? Have you ever read stories of officers getting unfairly treated, terminated or accused of something they did not do? Whether you like it or not, LEOs have the same rights guaranteed by the Constitution as citizens do.

Last edited: