• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Had a good conversation with a co worker

fire suppressor

Yesterday at work a couple of co workers where sitting around joking back and forth for a while when someone made a joke about a imaginary person walking down the street open carrying a hand gun. I interrupted them and told them you know that's legal right? They laughed at me at first until they figured out I was being serious. The conversation then turned serious and one of my co workers told me he thought open carrying of a gun was impersonating a police officer and was illegal. When I asked him to site his source he could not. We talked for about 20 more minutes on what the laws actually say and where it was legal to carry and where it was not. Both of my co workers where really impressed with our states laws and walked away with a better understanding of why I personally chose to open carry. Overall it was a very positive discussion. As a side note neither one of the co workers where anti gun but neither one of them are gun owners either

MilProGuy

You handled this situation perfectly.

Thanks for sharing the details; as they have been most beneficial to me, personally.

SayWhat

I've had similar conversations and when informing the other parties that open carry is legal in WA I usually get a response of "Holy sh** it is?".. "Yep, totally legal guys" then I hand them one of those open carry pamphlets.

MadHatter66

Yesterday at work a couple of co workers where sitting around joking back and forth for a while when someone made a joke about a imaginary person walking down the street open carrying a hand gun. I interrupted them and told them you know that's legal right? They laughed at me at first until they figured out I was being serious. The conversation then turned serious and one of my co workers told me he thought open carrying of a gun was impersonating a police officer and was illegal. When I asked him to site his source he could not. We talked for about 20 more minutes on what the laws actually say and where it was legal to carry and where it was not. Both of my co workers where really impressed with our states laws and walked away with a better understanding of why I personally chose to open carry. Overall it was a very positive discussion. As a side note neither one of the co workers where anti gun but neither one of them are gun owners either

Firefighters and guns... there is an interesting combo... :D

For whatever reason there is a misconception I have seen in the fire community that OC isn't legal... Not sure why, but I have run across more than a few in Kitsap that think it is illegal to OC.

FMCDH

Yes, excellent way to handle it.

I use the "please cite the law that supports your belief" angle with most people. After they stop talking and start thinking about what they are saying, they normally come around to reason and fact.