• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wisconsin CWL Usefulness

apjonas

A quick tally of the places where a WI license is/is not honored. I checked the official state page whenever possible. Please post corrections if derived from official sources. Do not rely on Handgunlaw.us or other such sites.

1.....Issuing State.....WI

4.....Not Required......AK, AZ, VT, WY

16....Yes..................AR, IA, ID, IN, KY, MI, MO, MT, NC, ND, NM, OK, PA, SD, TN, UT

13....Not Today but Possible
with some Administrative Work%.....CO, DE, FL, GA, LA, ME, MS, NE, NH, OH, SC, VA, WV

1.....No and Doubtful due to deficiencies in other state's law*...AL

5.....No and Doubtful due to deficiencies in WI law**....KS, MN, NV, TX, WA

4.....No and Probably Never.....CT, MA, OR, RI

6.....No and Never.................CA, HA, IL, MD, NJ, NY

As of today – 21 states (1+4+16)
With a little work – 34 states (+13)
With a lot of work/changes in the law - 40 states (+1+5)

%generally requires WI recognition of other state's permit, a "substantially similar" determination or simply recognizing that WI now has a permit system. Some are Resident only and/or 21+ but these are taken care of in WI law.

*AL - no BG check in AL

**in addition to WI recognition are these showstoppers which rule out a "substantially similar" determination:
KS - no fingerprints in WI
MN - no live fire in WI
NV - 24x7 LEO access to WI licensee database
TX - insufficient BG check in WI (TX requires NICS and III)
WA - no fingerprint-based BG check or mandatory mental health background check in WI

H

Herr Heckler Koch

Please post corrections if derived from official sources.13....Not Today but Possible
with some Administrative Work%..... SC, %generally requires WI recognition of other state's permit, a "substantially similar" determination or simply recognizing that WI now has a permit system.
South Carolina Statutes SECTION 23-31-215. Issuance of permits. (N) Valid out-of-state permits to carry concealable weapons held by a resident of a reciprocal state must be honored by this State, provided, that the reciprocal state requires an applicant to successfully pass a criminal background check and a course in firearm training and safety.

South Carolina Law Enforcement Division SLED policy requires that the reciprocal/recognition state firearm safety training course be substantially similar or more extensive than that required by SC.
SLED said:
SLED shall promulgate regulations containing general guidelines for courses and qualifications for instructors which would satisfy the requirements of this item. For purposes of subitems (a) and (b), "proof of training" is not satisfied unless the organization and its instructors meet or exceed the guidelines and qualifications contained in the regulations promulgated by SLED pursuant to this item.
An instructor's lesson plan must be individually approved by the state as part of his certification. Eight hours training was mandated and monitored so carefully that individual documentation of ten hours of classroom was common. A formal course of live fire is required by SC and prohibited by Wisconsin.

paul@paul-fisher.com

4.....Not Required......AK, AZ, VT, WY

WY statute 6-8-104 "(i) Is a resident of the United States and has been a resident of Wyoming for not less than six (6) months prior to filing the application. The Wyoming residency requirements of this paragraph do not apply to any person who holds a valid permit authorizing him to carry a concealed firearm authorized and issued by a governmental agency or entity in another state that recognizes Wyoming permits and is a valid statewide permit;"

It doesn't look like WY recognizes our license, at this moment, so it needs to go on one of the other lists.

Last edited:

protias

FL is recognized in KS and since WI accepts KS, KS is thinking about honoring WI, at least from my gathering from my emails with the KS AG.

Captain Nemo

More info on TX please. What is meant by III.

From WI DoJ web site.

Out-of-state Licenses Recognized in Wisconsin
Under s. 165.25(12m), Wis. Stats., DOJ is required to establish a list of states that issue a license to carry a concealed weapon, if that license requires, or designates that the holder chose to submit to, a background search that is comparable to the type of background check that DOJ is required to conduct for Wisconsin licensees. The Wisconsin background check includes two components: (1) a criminal history record search; and (2) a search of the national instant criminal background check system (NICS) operated by the Federal Bureau of Investigation

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
More info on TX please. What is meant by III....
The Interstate Identification Index maintained by the Federal Bureau of Investigation. From good ol' Wickipedia:
The Interstate Identification Index or III (pronounced "triple-eye") is a national index of criminal histories (or rap sheets) in the United States of America
According to this Wisconsin DOJ link, "Criminal records obtained through III cannot be used for licensing or employment purposes." But then later on it says, "III queries can be made for gun licensing if required by State Statute or local ordinance." So I don't know what to make of it.... Typical screwed up Wisconsin language. You can't use it, but you can use it.

Last edited:

ksks

fyi

WI/Utah:
AK, AL, AR, AZ, DE, GA, IA, ID, IN, KY, LA, MI, MN, MO, MS, MT, NC, ND, NE, NM, OH, OK, PA, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, VT, WA, WI, WV, WY

WI/AZ:
AK, AL, AR, AZ, DE, GA, IA, ID, IN, KS, KY, LA, MI, MO, MS, MT, NC, ND, NE, NM, NV, OH, OK, PA, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, VT, WI, WV, WY

underline means recognized in one set but not the other

apjonas

Honoring WI CWL - revision 1

Where a WI license is/is not honored. I checked the official state page whenever possible. Please post corrections if derived from official sources. Do not rely on Handgunlaw.us or other such sites. Revised after reader input. Thank you.

1.....Issuing State.....WI

3.....Not Required......AK, AZ, VT (WY is only for WY residents)

16....Yes..................AR, IA, ID, IN, KY, MI, MO, MT, NC, ND, NM, OK, PA, SD, TN, UT

15....Not Today but Possible
with some Administrative Work%.....CO, DE, FL, GA, LA, ME, MS, NE, NH, OH, SC, TX, VA, WV, WY

4.....No and Doubtful due to deficiencies in WI law**....KS, MN, NV, WA

4.....No and Probably Never.....CT, MA, OR, RI

6.....No and Never.................CA, HA, IL, MD, NJ, NY

As of today – 20 states (1+3+16)
With a little work – 35 states (+15)
With a lot of work/changes in the law - 40 states (+1+4)

%generally requires WI recognition of other state's permit, a "substantially similar" determination or simply recognizing that WI now has a permit system. Some are Resident only and/or 21+ but these are taken care of in WI law.

*AL - no BG check in AL

**in addition to WI recognition are these showstoppers which rule out a "substantially similar" determination:
KS - no fingerprints in WI
MN - no live fire in WI
NV - 24x7 LEO access to WI licensee database
WA - no fingerprint-based BG check or mandatory mental health background check in WI

apjonas

What Are These?

WI/Utah:
AK, AL, AR, AZ, DE, GA, IA, ID, IN, KY, LA, MI, MN, MO, MS, MT, NC, ND, NE, NM, OH, OK, PA, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, VT, WA, WI, WV, WY

WI/AZ:
AK, AL, AR, AZ, DE, GA, IA, ID, IN, KS, KY, LA, MI, MO, MS, MT, NC, ND, NE, NM, NV, OH, OK, PA, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, VT, WI, WV, WY

underline means recognized in one set but not the other

WI/Utah, WI/AZ

Some kind of hybrid permits?

paul@paul-fisher.com

*AL - no BG check in AL

Just want to make sure. This thread is where we, as WI license holders, may carry, correct? If so, why does it matter that AL doesn't have a BG check? That means WI won't recognize AL, is there AL law that says they only recognize states that recognize them?

safcrkr

WI/Utah, WI/AZ

Some kind of hybrid permits?

I believe that's lists of states you can carry in if you have both WI/Utah or both WI/AZ licenses.

I made myself such a list for a WI/FL/MN combination and compared it to a WI/UT combination. My criteria for the best combination is simplicity in obtaining, other state coverage, costs of licenses, training required, etc. The other states I personally travel to most are MI & MN. My best "combination" of licenses to achieve that goal of being legal in WI, MI & MN (and as many others as possible) would be to have both WI/UT. To carry in MN I'd need either a MN or a UT, so that narrows my choices to those two. UT is less expensive, doesn't require "in person" application nor re-training upon renewal like MN does, and covers many more states than does a MN license. An initial UT requires photo & prints (and a resident license from your home state), and MN does not... so the UT application is a little more complicated initially. But is far better in the long run due to other criteria.

This is called "CWL Bingo". :)

apjonas

Two Step Analysis

Just want to make sure. This thread is where we, as WI license holders, may carry, correct??

That is correct.

If so, why does it matter that AL doesn't have a BG check? That means WI won't recognize AL, is there AL law that says they only recognize states that recognize them?

You got it.

Alabama Code Section 13A-11-85

Reciprocity for licenses issued in other states.

(a) A person licensed to carry a handgun in any state whose laws recognize and give effect in that state to a license issued under the laws of the State of Alabama shall be authorized to carry a handgun in this state. This section shall apply to a licenseholder from another state only while the licenseholder is not a resident of this state. A licenseholder from another state shall carry the handgun in compliance with the laws of this state.

(b) The Attorney General shall periodically publish a list of states which meet the requirements of subsection (a).
(Act 2001-494, p. 862, §1.)

Last edited:

ksks

Sorry, yeah I was seeing what I could get in combining licenses.

I have a WI and UT license, but what I need is to cover KS and neither work. So, I was just comparing to see what I would get with the combinations. Looks like it will be WI and AZ, but then I lose some other States if I don't renew all.

What a mess.

ksks

This just came in an email from AZ....

With that new law(ksks-meaning con carry), we will be implementing new procedures and rules allowing other firearm training courses (including military training, any NRA firearms class, and some other states permits) in place of the 8hr CCW course previously required.

You have to provide proof of firearms training. Below is the full list of alternate documents we can accept.

ALTERNATE DOCUMENT SUBMISSIONS (13-3112)

_ GENERAL PUBLIC COURSES/CLASSES (E6b, N2)
...A current or expired permit issued by DPS…

_ GAME & FISH (E6B, N3)
Original/Copy of certificate/card/document of completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Arizona Game & Fish or a similar agency of another state.
**Document from “similar agency of another state” requires supervisor approval.

_ NRA (E6b, N4)
Original/Copy of certificate/card/document of completion of any National Rifle Association (NRA) firearms safety or training course.

_ SECURITY GUARD (E6b, N5)
Original/Copy of certificate/card/document of completion of the DPS Armed Security Guard firearms safety course; or any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class that is offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies or other divisions or subdivisions of law enforcement or security enforcement.
**Courses/classes other than DPS Armed Security Guard course must be approved by DPS through submission of lesson plan.

_ LAW ENFORCEMENT (Et6b, N8)
Original/Copy of certificate/card/document of completion of any governmental police agency firearms training course and qualification to carry a firearm in the course of normal police duties.
**May require supervisor approval.

_ OTHER FIREARMS SAFETY TRAINING DEEMED ACCEPTABLE BY DPS (E6b, N9)
Original/Copy of certificate/card/document of completion of any other firearms training that the department of public safety deems acceptable.
**TBD – Requires supervisor approval.

_ MILITARY/DD-214 (E6c, N6)
Original/Copy of U.S. Department of Defense form 214 (DD-214) indicating an honorable discharge or general discharge under honorable conditions; or a certificate of completion of basic training or any other document demonstrating proof of current service in the U.S. Armed Forces or former service with honorable discharge or general discharge under honorable conditions from U.S. Armed Forces.
**Documents other than DD-214 may require supervisor approval.

_ STATE PERMITS (E6d, N7) **NOT ALL STATES PERMITS WILL QUALIFY**
Original/Copy of a valid current or expired concealed weapon, firearm or handgun permit or license that is issued by another state or a political subdivision of another state and that has a training or testing requirement for initial issuance.
**Requires verification of good standing and training/testing requirement. **WE DO ACCEPT THE UTAH PERMIT** I AM NOT SURE ABOUT THE WISCONSIN PERMIT SINCE THEY JUST ENACTED A CCW PERMIT

jpm84092

Permit Combinations For WI Residents

FL and CO only recognize "resident" permits. And, both require a written agreement between states before they accept reciprocity or recognition. My prediction is that within a year, both FL an CO will recognize a WI permit; even though neither State does so at this moment .

Having said that, a WI/FL/UT/AZ permit/license combination is the best possible coverage in the USA for a WI resident. Until CO recognizes the WI license, CO is a no carry state for a WI resident. However, one can carry in FL on a non-resident permit issued by FL - or on the strength of a home state carry permit that Fl recognizes. The FL permit is a bit pricey, but for a WI resident, the non-resident AZ gets one into NV, NM and KS and the UT permit gets one into MN and WA. To get into SC, you have to own land in SC. To get into Maine, you have to apply to Maine based on your home state permit/license. And ME only gets you ME compared to the other permit combinations mentioned in this post.

FL requires proof of live firearms training. AZ used to require this, and used to require that the training take place in AZ. UT does not require live fire training and has the 2nd cheapest application fees. (AZ is $5 cheaper.) The change to AZ law that most affects WI Citizens is that the AZ training can take place in WI in the form of an NRA Course - or - a UT CFP that has been issued.

Yellow Cat Out -