• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question on laws and such

HANSST

Been here a ways back now back on. I am in Wv. and my friend lives in Walker Co. GA.

For near 30+ years she has been afraid of guns. This summer I finally got her to shoot. She fell in love and I gave her a nice .38 special.

What I am looking for are the GA. state laws for CCW permit. She travels a lot between states. From Ga. to Va. Wy. and Kansas. Now I know not all states have reciprocity but at least she is finally carrying and comfortable with a forearm and wants a CCW also.

Thanks for the help !

MilProGuy

Welcome to the forum!

And...keep up the good work of introducing your friends to the pleasures of firearm ownership. :dude:

Kingfish

I hope you went through an FFL when you gave her the gun as interstate transfers of handguns by individuals are prohibited by federal law.

She would need to pick up at least one non resident license (Arizona would do nicely.) Check out http://www.handgunlaw.us/ and do a "Create License Map"

Georgia does not have a "CCW". Concealment is not required and a license is required for both CC and OC.

HANSST

Thanks All. If I can ask by looking at the law she does not need an NRA certificate then? Is Walker Co. hard to get a license in ?
Once again thanks.

aadvark

HANNST:

Q: ... s Walker County 'Hard' to [Obtain a Permit] in...?

A: NO! Georgia Code 16-11-173 provides for Uniform Firearms Laws throughout Georgia, and, therefore; The Walker County Probate Court Judge HAS to Issue a Georgia Weapons Carry License for any Person who Qualifies for such License Pursuant to Georgia Code 16-11-129.

Georgia, like West Virginia, is a 'Shall-Issue' Jurisdiction.

aadvark

Last edited: