• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cocealed Carry Weapons ?

rimmer

So, witha CCW license, How big of a knife can we CC? Can we have a knife like Crocodile Dundee?
Also, as weapons, can we CC just knives, tasers, guns, and billy clubs? What about other weapons?

oscar

E6chevron

So, witha CCW license, How big of a knife can we CC? Can we have a knife like Crocodile Dundee?
Also, as weapons, can we CC just knives, tasers, guns, and billy clubs? What about other weapons?

oscar

Please read the CCW FAQ document on the DOJ Concealed Carry website page. http://www.doj.state.wi.us/dles/cib/ConcealedCarry/ConcealedCarry.asp

It will explain this (on page - 25 - ) and many other questions you will have.

You need to be 21 and older to get this license.

markush

You need to be 21 and older to get this license.

I don't know if you know him or it was just a slap in the face but it made me chuckle anyway.

I'm just guessing here but if he knows who Crocodile Dundee is he's probably over 21...

oliverclotheshoff

Knife length is no longer an issue, electric devices, and firearms.

as long as you dont go into a place that says no weapons then length does matter i know in reedsburg they have a blade length ordinance of 4 inches and there are plenty of places in reedsburg that post no weapons

thanks reedsburg PD

Outdoorsman1

Another Gray Area...?????

Snip...

protias
Knife length is no longer an issue, electric devices, and firearms.

And....

oliverclotheshoff
...as long as you dont go into a place that says no weapons then length does matter i know in reedsburg they have a blade length ordinance of 4 inches and there are plenty of places in reedsburg that post no weapons

thanks reedsburg PD

I also have heard Milwaukeee has a 3" blade length ordinance (not sure if it is city or county or both)..

So which has president.. State with no mention of length or local that mandate certain blade length..????

Outdoorsman1

AaronS

Snip...

And....

I also have heard Milwaukeee has a 3" blade length ordinance (not sure if it is city or county or both)..

So which has president.. State with no mention of length or local that mandate certain blade length..????

Outdoorsman1

State law wins on this one. The WI CWL (or out of state CWL) lets us carry the knife of our choice.
Oliverclotheshoff is also correct, if a sign is posted "no weapons" you would have to follow the local 3" size limit (any longer would be a weapon in the eyes of the law).
I'm no lawyer, but it looks clear to me.
I am also sure others will correct me if I am wrong.

Da Po-lock

I'm wondering about those telescoping "police" type ASP batons.
Are they legal to order~posess~carry with a CWL ?

SIGdude

Those ASP batons are considered a billy club, per the law.

Auric put it rather well in the class he taught last month when he said "Nobody is going to interpret 'billy club' to be a long wooden bludgeon with either a cross-bar or a length of cord to twirl it with."

I will point out that isn't a direct quote, but roughly what he stated.

Outdoorsman1

What about an aproximate 12" flexible peice of heavy rubber hose with a peice of heavy lead in one end all wrapped in leather with a leather wrist band :eek: ...????? Billy Club...???

Just askin.....:confused:

Outdoorsman1

Last edited:

DangerClose

State law wins on this one. The WI CWL (or out of state CWL) lets us carry the knife of our choice.
Oliverclotheshoff is also correct, if a sign is posted "no weapons" you would have to follow the local 3" size limit (any longer would be a weapon in the eyes of the law).
I'm no lawyer, but it looks clear to me.
I am also sure others will correct me if I am wrong.

Careful in places that don't have a length law and it's just no weapons allowed. "Oh, you have a keychain-size multi-tool on you? That looks like a weapon to me...."

I assume you'd need a CCL for such areas to be completely free of harassment.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

Be careful! Wisc. Stats. §941.24 was not repealed, a switchblade is not a "weapon."

Wisc. Stats. said:
§ 941.24 Possession of switchblade knife. (1) Whoever manufactures, sells or offers to sell, transports, purchases, possesses or goes armed with any knife having a blade which opens by pressing a button, spring or other device in the handle or by gravity or by a thrust or movement is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor.
(2) Within 30 days after April 16, 1959, such knives shall be surrendered to any peace officer.

Here's my CRKT M16 pocket knife in action http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=t_-dK1Xhg90