• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New to Mississippi

Robdarm

Hello All,

I recently moved to Southaven, MS about 6 months ago. I have an Ohio concealed carry license and currently am the branch manager at a armored car business. I am officially on call 24/7 and am aware of a Federal law that allows an armored car employee to carry anytime in any state as long as they are working. Since I'm on call, I would be working all the time.

I also have a Tennessee armed security license. My question is this: Am I allowed to carry concealed on my Tennessee, Ohio, and Federal allowance in Mississippi and Tennessee? As I understand it, I cannot apply for a Mississippi concealed carry license until I have lived in MS for at least 12 months.

A second question: Are you allowed to open carry in Mississippi and Tennessee? In Ohio it is a constitutional right, and localities are not allowed to make local statutes that override the state law. Is it the same here in MS and TN?

Thanks for all the help.

Brimstone Baritone

The best place to ask would be in the Mississippi sub-forum. There are people there who would be better able to tell you if a resident can carry on an out-of-state license, if only being there 6 months made a difference, and if being a armored car driver made a difference.

As to the federal law you mentioned, that's the first I've heard of it. That said, I doubt you being "on call" would be enough to count as working in the event of a legal challenge.

GunGuy20

Open carry is legal in MS. You have to have a concealed permit for it though. The law is worded kind of strange. :eek: