• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Guns found at Louisa High School

Toad

Founder's Club Member
I understand that they found long guns but it demonstrates well that the offensive GFSZ laws and zero tolerance policy's must be completely done away with.

Hunting guns found at Louisa High School

Greg Dorazio The Central Virginian
11/30/2011 5:08:38 PM

During the hunting seasons of an earlier era, it wasn't unusual to see the parking lot of Louisa County High School full of trucks with shotguns stored on gun racks.

But those days are over...

http://www.thecentralvirginian.com/news/view_sections.asp?idcategory=47&idarticle=4833

MilProGuy

"...two LCHS students are facing serious consequences for leaving hunting weapons in their vehicles parked on school property."

In Virginia, is it illegal for anyone to take a firearm onto school property?

If it is...these boys are guilty of breaking the law.

Badger Johnson

"We have to charge them by Code," Lowe said.

Why? Seems like a good case for some discretion. Hunting season, unloaded shotguns visible inside car racks? What's the problem.

MKEgal

The article linked isn't complete, & I can't find any other reference to this incident.
According to the Louisa County Sheriff's Office, firearms were discovered in two student vehicles during a November 19 sweep of the parking lot... Law enforcement conducts such checks on an occasional basis.
According to Code section 18.2-308.1, possession of a firearm on school grounds constitutes a Class 6 felony.
However, the section also sets out exemptions which include "a person who possesses an unloaded firearm that is in a closed container," which "includes a locked vehicle trunk."
Another exemption exists for those who have "an unloaded shotgun or rifle in a firearms rack in or upon the motor vehicle."
So were they in the locked trunk, unloaded?
If so, how did the cops find out they were there? (Forcing random kids to waive their 4A rights?)
And if so, WHY were the kids charged, since they were following the law? (Oh, wait...) :mad:

Last edited:

wylde007

According to the Louisa County Sheriff's Office, firearms were discovered in two student vehicles during a November 19 sweep of the parking lot at Louisa County Middle School, the three-days-a-week post-quake home of Louisa County High School. Law enforcement conducts such checks on an occasional basis.
So police regularly conduct 4th Amendment violating "sweeps" in Louisa?

Just like a report like this to leave out the details indicating that weapons were in gun racks. Otherwise, the students could only be coerced to allow police access to their vehicles if there was evidence of a crime being committed. Last I checked, having a firearm in a firearms rack was not RAS to see if the gun was loaded any more than stopping someone for carrying a firearm to see if they are legal to possess one.