• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CCW permit in Bremerton, County Sherrif or P.D.?

unknownsailor

I need to change my address, having moved from Oak Harbor to Bremerton, and don't know who is the issuing authority for the area.
I would like to do this when I get home in March, can someone help a deployed sailor out?
My old permit fell apart just before we left, so I need a new one regardless...

aktion

Kitsap County Sheriff

Main Office: Port Orchard
614 Division St, MS-37
Port Orchard WA 98366
(360) 337-7101
9:00 am- 4:30 pm

Silverdale Office
3951 Randall Way NW
Silverdale WA 98383
(360) 337-7101
9:00 am- 12:00 pm
1:00 pm- 4:30 pm

Stretch

Change of address (within the state) doesn't necessitate the CPL being changed. But since your old one had fallen apart, I would probably do the same.

MadHatter66

If you live in Bremerton city limits it would be Bremerton PD. There is A LOT of places that are called "Bremerton" that are actually in the county. The easiest way to figure out where you live is to call 911 and tell them you have a non-emergency and want to verify your address. Then ask them if its County/City. You you can PM me the address or Street and I can let you know. I worked for the Kitsap 911 center for 3 years, and calling 911 is preferred method. As for who the issuing authority, its the jurisdiction where you live. So Bremerton PD in the city, Kitsap SO.

As for the address change, there is no legal requirement to change the address on your CPL. I moved 2 years ago, and still have my old address on it. I will change it when I renew my CPL in 2013...

oldkim

http://www.dol.wa.gov/business/firearms/faconcealchange.html

Change your address: Concealed pistol licenseWashington State law doesn’t require you to update the address on your concealed pistol license when you move.
[h=2]How to update your address[/h]The process to change the address on your concealed pistol license is the same as when you first applied, except you won’t be fingerprinted:
  1. Go in person to the Washington law enforcement agency where you live.
  2. Complete a concealed pistol license application, marking the “Replacement license” box.
  3. Submit the application and replacement fee. ($10 for replacement)
The law enforcement agency will contact you to pick up your license, or they’ll mail it to you.
[h=2]Questions?[/h]Please contact us at:
  • Phone: 360-664-6616
  • Fax: 360-570-4945
  • Email: firearms@dol.wa.gov
  • Mail:
    Firearms Section
    Department of Licensing
    PO Box 9649
    Olympia, WA 98507-9649

joeroket

If you live in Bremerton city limits it would be Bremerton PD. There is A LOT of places that are called "Bremerton" that are actually in the county. The easiest way to figure out where you live is to call 911 and tell them you have a non-emergency and want to verify your address. Then ask them if its County/City. You you can PM me the address or Street and I can let you know. I worked for the Kitsap 911 center for 3 years, and calling 911 is preferred method. As for who the issuing authority, its the jurisdiction where you live. So Bremerton PD in the city, Kitsap SO.

As for the address change, there is no legal requirement to change the address on your CPL. I moved 2 years ago, and still have my old address on it. I will change it when I renew my CPL in 2013...

That is incorrect info. If you live in the city limits you may absolutely apply/renew with the sheriff. I live in the city limits and never go to the city PD. I always go to the sheriffs department for my CPL.

Thor80

That is incorrect info. If you live in the city limits you may absolutely apply/renew with the sheriff. I live in the city limits and never go to the city PD. I always go to the sheriffs department for my CPL.

Not to hijack because its related but is the same not true for going to city PD? I live in Spokane county, not city, and when I went to the courthouse to get my CPL it says that the issuing authority is Spokane PD even though I don't live in the city. Does it really matter as long as its in Washington?

-Thor

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Not to hijack because its related but is the same not true for going to city PD? I live in Spokane county, not city, and when I went to the courthouse to get my CPL it says that the issuing authority is Spokane PD even though I don't live in the city. Does it really matter as long as its in Washington?

-Thor

Well the state DOL page says this:

LINK

[h=2]How to apply[/h]
  • If you live in the unincorporated area of a county apply at your sheriff’s office.
  • If you live in an incorporated city within the county, apply at either the city police department or sheriff’s office.
  • If you aren’t a Washington State resident, apply at any local law enforcement agency in Washington.

Trigger Dr

RCW 9.41.070

Concealed pistol license — Application — Fee — Renewal.

(1) The chief of police of a municipality or the sheriff of a county shall within thirty days after the filing of an application of any person, issue a license to such person to carry a pistol concealed on his or her person within this state for five years from date of issue, for the purposes of protection or while engaged in business, sport, or while traveling. However, if the applicant does not have a valid permanent Washington driver's license or Washington state identification

(13) A person may apply for a concealed pistol license:

(a) To the municipality or to the county in which the applicant resides if the applicant resides in a municipality;

(b) To the county in which the applicant resides if the applicant resides in an unincorporated area; or

(c) Anywhere in the state if the applicant is a nonresident.

(14) Any person who, as a member of the armed forces, including the national guard and armed forces reserves, is unable to renew his or her license under subsections (6) and (9) of this section because of the person's assignment, reassignment, or deployment for out-of-state military service may renew his or her license within ninety days after the person returns to this state from out-of-state military service, if the person provides the following to the issuing authority no later than ninety days after the person's date of discharge or assignment, reassignment, or deployment back to this state: (a) A copy of the person's original order designating the specific period of assignment, reassignment, or deployment for out-of-state military service, and (b) if appropriate, a copy of the person's discharge or amended or subsequent assignment, reassignment, or deployment order back to this state. A license so renewed under this subsection (14) shall take effect on the expiration date of the prior license. A licensee renewing after the expiration date of the license under this subsection (14) shall pay only the renewal fee specified in subsection (6) of this section and shall not be required to pay a late renewal penalty in addition to the renewal fee.

[2011 c 294 § 1. Prior: 2009 c 216 § 5; 2009 c 59 § 1; 2002 c 302 § 703; 1999 c 222 § 2; 1996 c 295 § 6; 1995 c 351 § 1; prior: 1994 sp.s. c 7 § 407; 1994 c 190 § 2; 1992 c 168 § 1; 1990 c 195 § 6; prior: 1988 c 263 § 10; 1988 c 223 § 1; 1988 c 219 § 1; 1988 c 36 § 1; 1985 c 428 § 3; 1983 c 232 § 3; 1979 c 158 § 1; 1971 ex.s. c 302 § 2; 1961 c 124 § 6; 1935 c 172 § 7; RRS § 2516-7.]

Notes:

Application -- Construction -- Short title -- Severability -- 2002 c 302: See RCW 26.26.903, 26.26.911, and 26.26.912.

Finding -- Hunter education program: "The legislature finds that the hunter education program offers classes that all new hunters in the state are legally required to complete, but that budget reductions have limited the assistance that may be provided to the volunteers who conduct these classes. A portion of the funds for this program is provided by statute exclusively for printing and distributing the hunter safety pamphlet. While this pamphlet should remain the highest spending priority for these funds, there is a surplus in

Last edited:

sirpuma

Personally I'd go to KCSO in their main office in Port Orchard. If you catch them early in the AM on a Monday you are likely to walk out the same day with it. Worst case scenario is you get it in the mail a few days latter.

unknownsailor

I live up by #4 Reservoir, on top of the hill off of 3rd Ave. Was fun getting home last year when the streets froze over, let me tell you.

Port Orchard is closer, I think, so I will head over there and replace my permit. Island County makes you get it from the Sheriff, too, so might as well.

As to why I want to change my address, well, buying new guns gets kinda hinky if you use three addresses, one on your license, another on your CCW, and yet another for your billing address. So, I'm changing my DL and my CCW permit to match, to make my post deployment spending easier. ;)

MadHatter66

I stand corrected... rereading the RCW you are correct... Not sure why I had the impression that going to the PD was required for a city dweller... Thanks for correcting me on that.

(13) A person may apply for a concealed pistol license:
(a) To the municipality or to the county in which the applicant resides if the applicant resides in a municipality;

amlevin

Another way to determine if your new address will be in the City or not is to go to the Department of Revenue and use their Sales and Use Tax Rate Lookup Tool. Enter Street Address and zip code.

It will show the "taxing area you are in. Just look down the list and see what "City" you are in. If that area is blank you'll then be in the County.

http://dor.wa.gov/content/findtaxesandrates/salesandusetaxrates/lookupataxrate/

larrybob

When I bought my last gun, the shop said they could not sell me the gun because the address printed on my drivers license was not my current address, even though I did file the address change form with the DOL. Wouldn't the same thing apply to the CPL? Or was this just a rule the shop had, and not a law?

amlevin

When I bought my last gun, the shop said they could not sell me the gun because the address printed on my drivers license was not my current address, even though I did file the address change form with the DOL. Wouldn't the same thing apply to the CPL? Or was this just a rule the shop had, and not a law?

You mean you didn't respond to the "Is everything current?" question with a simple "Yes"?????

I never try to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person so I just tell them "everything's current". Unless you're trying to buy as a WA resident and you've moved to California without getting a new D/L then where's the harm? The only reason that the address needs to be current for WA residents is so the handgun purchase form can be sent to the correct Police Department. They think that's an extra level of approval that will keep those recently convicted of disqualifying crimes from getting a handgun.

joeroket

You mean you didn't respond to the "Is everything current?" question with a simple "Yes"?????

I never try to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person so I just tell them "everything's current". Unless you're trying to buy as a WA resident and you've moved to California without getting a new D/L then where's the harm? The only reason that the address needs to be current for WA residents is so the handgun purchase form can be sent to the correct Police Department. They think that's an extra level of approval that will keep those recently convicted of disqualifying crimes from getting a handgun.

Yannow, I had to look that one up. I guess it is just one of those things that is easily overlooked or forgotten because of how trivial it is. Thanks for that info. It is now embedded in my non-volatile memory. :lol:

fire suppressor

I always suggest going to the kitsap county sheriff's office in silverdale they are very pro cpl and more than willing to issue them. Myself and everyone ells I know who has gone there has got there cpl the same day. I got mine laminated and issued to me in about 20 minutes you can't beat that

MadHatter66

I always suggest going to the kitsap county sheriff's office in silverdale they are very pro cpl and more than willing to issue them. Myself and everyone ells I know who has gone there has got there cpl the same day. I got mine laminated and issued to me in about 20 minutes you can't beat that

+1 on great same-day service. I was in and out in 20min as well. My wife got hers in 2 days from them in the mail, at the time they we backed up so they were mailing them. Mine was 3 years ago, hers was 2 so they might be back to same-day again... Great place to get a CPL here in Kitsap.

fire suppressor

When I first got my cpl I had no idea what the laws where or that OC was legal the kitsap county sheriff's office really made me feel conformable in getting my first cpl. The woman I talked to at the counter (not sure if she was a officer or civilian) answered all my questions and really made me feel good about my want to carry a gun. The officer who brought me back to finger print me had a great sense of humor and told me he wished more people took their own safety seriously and thanked me for getting one. I know everyone will have their own experience with kitsap county sheriff's office but I have never had a bad experience with them. I have ran into them a few times while OC and have never had a single bad experience with them, they have been nothing but polite, respectable and professional with me