• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Was told I was stupid for supporting open carry at the gun store Las Vegas

fire suppressor

Hello all I am a follower OCer from Washington state relaxing for a few days in Las Vegas. I went I into the gun store yesterday to shoot a SAW, way over prices but worth it. After I got done shooting I went into the back part of the store where they sell guns to looks around. While I thought the people in the shooting range part of the store where all nice and friendly once I walked into the back part of the store it was a entire different world.
I walked up to the counter and was completely ignored for the first few minutes. A young guy about my age was working the counter and was OCing a glock. I walked up to him smiling and told him I was vacationing here from Washington state, he did not seem impressed but my feelings where not hurt. I told him a lot of guys up in Washington OC and asked him if it was legal here. He rolled his eyes and said "yeah its legal but don't do it". When I asked him to explain he said he told me I was stupid and need to get a cpl. When I told him I have one but still believe in my right to open carry. He told me again I was stupid and that its too easy to get in trouble.
He told me in your state all anyone has to do is feel threatened by the site of your gun, call the police and that I would be arrested. I am here on vacation so I really didn't feel like getting into a discussion. I told him "well it's different where I cone from" and walked away. As I walked away he told me to use my cpl and stop trying to show off. I laughed a little because found his comments humorous coming from a man who was open carrying him self.
I am not sure of the feel of open carry here and I have not looked into your laws at all but thought I would share. I am having a great time visiting and enjoying my trip. I shot a real fully automatic machine gun! Check one more thing off my bucket list!

Sabotage70

Yes we very much support open carry. The Gun Store is very much on our radar by the nonsense that they spew.

IMG_0591.jpg

Fallschirjmäger

When someone attacks the messenger instead of the message; the man instead of the idea, you know they don't have much of an argument to begin with.
Did he tell you that you were ugly, too? :p

JoeSparky

Centurion
Hello all I am a follower OCer from Washington state relaxing for a few days in Las Vegas. I went I into the gun store yesterday to shoot a SAW, way over prices but worth it. After I got done shooting I went into the back part of the store where they sell guns to looks around. While I thought the people in the shooting range part of the store where all nice and friendly once I walked into the back part of the store it was a entire different world.
I walked up to the counter and was completely ignored for the first few minutes. A young guy about my age was working the counter and was OCing a glock. I walked up to him smiling and told him I was vacationing here from Washington state, he did not seem impressed but my feelings where not hurt. I told him a lot of guys up in Washington OC and asked him if it was legal here. He rolled his eyes and said "yeah its legal but don't do it". When I asked him to explain he said he told me I was stupid and need to get a cpl. When I told him I have one but still believe in my right to open carry. He told me again I was stupid and that its too easy to get in trouble.
He told me in your state all anyone has to do is feel threatened by the site of your gun, call the police and that I would be arrested. I am here on vacation so I really didn't feel like getting into a discussion. I told him "well it's different where I cone from" and walked away. As I walked away he told me to use my cpl and stop trying to show off. I laughed a little because found his comments humorous coming from a man who was open carrying him self.
I am not sure of the feel of open carry here and I have not looked into your laws at all but thought I would share. I am having a great time visiting and enjoying my trip. I shot a real fully automatic machine gun! Check one more thing off my bucket list!

I was chastised once because I was looking to buy a Ford instead of a Chevy by one DRIVING A FORD! Some businesses survive INSPITE of the counter help---- at least for a while!

KBCraig

Generally speaking, gun store clerks are just about the only source of legal advice that is consistently worse than police officers.

SovereignAxe

Generally speaking, gun store clerks are just about the only source of legal advice that is consistently worse than police officers.

I lawled. I had to keep from busting out laughing it work. It's funny because it's true.

They're pretty bad about firearms knowledge as well. Half the clerks in Johnson City, TN think that Walther discontinued the P99.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member

That is the sad truth. I have corrected quite a few. It got to the point where I stopped shopping in gun stores and started using Gunbroker. I have everything transferred to my FFL (works out of his house) who actually knows what he is talking about in regards to laws and gun advice.

Last edited:

28kfps

Gun Store in Las Vegas, which is the name of the place. There is one good thing you can say about it………….nope……………………….wait…………………….I was wrong.

fire suppressor

Glad to see people in Nevada are supporting their rights we have a pretty big active group up in Washington glad to see there are others. On my next trip down we need to have a meet up I may not be able to carry my gun with me but I always enjoy meeting my fellow patriots

Nevada carrier

The gun store makes their money renting machine guns and selling ammo to tourists. Their business is so lucrative, they could never again sell a single gun in their retail side and they can still stay in business. They are making so much money, that they have stopped charging for CCW classes. It's a well known fact that the instructors they employ are notorious for their fundamental lack of understanding of Nevada firearms law. Take for instance, a friend who took a class they offered and was told that Open carry was legal only if the firearm can be seen from three sides. this language can be found nowhere in Nevada's revised statutes. They have been know to say that visible = brandishing, also untrue.

One of their clerks told me when I attempted to purchase a firearm that my ID card issued by the DMV was not valid for purchasing a firearm. This too is untrue. What he should have said was, "it is our policy to accept only driver's licenses." but instead of doing that he went on to claim that anyone can obtain an ID card without proving their true identity. I don;t know what this guy was told, but I had to provide a SS card, birth certificate, two utility bills and a bank statement to get mine. But he insisted that he was correct, and tried to add credit to his knowledge of Nevada law because "[he] used to work for Metro." Curiously though he did not say he was ever a police office for metro, just that he worked for them. Perhaps this knowledge was passed down to him during his extensive training to become a janitor for them. A few days later I took my money and my ID card to All Weapons and bought a Kahr

all things considered, they do occasionally have good deals there. If you find one, by all means, take it, but do not count on them to provide accurate information. I wouldn't even ask any questions, just tell them what you want to buy and leave it at that.

The Big Guy

The gun store makes their money renting machine guns and selling ammo to tourists. Their business is so lucrative, they could never again sell a single gun in their retail side and they can still stay in business. They are making so much money, that they have stopped charging for CCW classes. It's a well known fact that the instructors they employ are notorious for their fundamental lack of understanding of Nevada firearms law. Take for instance, a friend who took a class they offered and was told that Open carry was legal only if the firearm can be seen from three sides. this language can be found nowhere in Nevada's revised statutes. They have been know to say that visible = brandishing, also untrue.

One of their clerks told me when I attempted to purchase a firearm that my ID card issued by the DMV was not valid for purchasing a firearm. This too is untrue. What he should have said was, "it is our policy to accept only driver's licenses." but instead of doing that he went on to claim that anyone can obtain an ID card without proving their true identity. I don;t know what this guy was told, but I had to provide a SS card, birth certificate, two utility bills and a bank statement to get mine. But he insisted that he was correct, and tried to add credit to his knowledge of Nevada law because "[he] used to work for Metro." Curiously though he did not say he was ever a police office for metro, just that he worked for them. Perhaps this knowledge was passed down to him during his extensive training to become a janitor for them. A few days later I took my money and my ID card to All Weapons and bought a Kahr

all things considered, they do occasionally have good deals there. If you find one, by all means, take it, but do not count on them to provide accurate information. I wouldn't even ask any questions, just tell them what you want to buy and leave it at that.

Even if they have a "good deal", vote with your money, spend it someplace that appreciates your Constitutional rights.

TBG

odesskiy

I will never ever spend a penny at that place. The owner is a douchebag that spews nonsense and does a huge disservice to us all every time he opens his fat mouth. Sadly, because he owns the most infamous gun business in town, media turns to him for his opinions, citing him as a "firearms expert". Bleh!

usmcmustang

I've been in there a few times. I do believe some of the "clerks" employed there are also off duty "police officers." Might be wrong on that account but I think someone pointed that out to me at one of my visits there. If true, and the "clerk" you encountered was a "police officer," I can see why he told you that you were stupid. All my encounters with police here in the Vegas area is that they do believe OCers are showoffs and that it is "stupid" to OC... in their "professional" opinion. Screw them !!!!!

MKEgal

usmcmustang said:
All my encounters with police here in the Vegas area is that they do believe OCers are showoffs and that it is "stupid" to OC... in their "professional" opinion.
So the cops around there only carry concealed while on duty?
No?
Wonder why...
Maybe it has something to do with ease of access, quick deployment in an emergency, things like that?
Why should they be the only ones... oh, wait...

DVC

City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
It has been pointed out to me that the OP WAS stupid for OCing in The Gun Store.

He should have never been IN The Gun Store, and should have been OCing somewhere else.

Since I don't have a score card to tell who the players are, down in the Sharp End, but isn't the guy who owns this place on the board of that new NRA-backed gun group?

DON`T TREAD ON ME

So the Gun Store owners name is Bob Irwin, He produces a mixed bag of misinformation and propagates it through the news and over the counter of his store. We know this because of years of repeated misinformation and lies, I also have sat in a CCW class and personaly experienced the "visible from 3 sides" BS as well as numerous other "gems" They appear to be from this one source. Here is the path of questioning my mind takes:

Do all of Bob's employees send this same messege year after year, by thinking independantly? Could it be Bob that is The initiator? (OR)

Is Bob simply the puppet for the status Quo? He told me on the phone that he is close personal friends with our "anti gun" Sheriff, and they "talk shop" quite often. This brings up the question, Is he doing what he is told? If not, Why does his rhetoric match METRO's propaganda?

Is the NFA a Tool to get the misinformation back under control for the sheriff?

How is it the owner of a gun store, and VP of a gun rights ORG. becomes "good friends with a Sheriff who gets an F with the NRA, and berlieves in Katrina style gun confiscation.

Out of all the patriots in our valley, what makes Bob Irwin the best choice for a position in a "gun rights organization?

Does Bob or his business recieve "special treatment" for echoing the Sheriffs message?
If not why wouldn't he strive to make his reputation more credible with the gun owners in the valley? I believe that he has had much of his misinformation pointed out to him, inspite of this he continues.

Vegassteve

I believe that he has had much of his misinformation pointed out to him, inspite of this he continues.

He has indeed at things pointed out to him. I have personally done it. Many times I was told that the person who witnessed the bad info was wrong or must have heard wrong. He also stated that he will not come to any of the forums to answer questions because most of us are keyboard commandos. I have also been told by him that the store is OC friendly. So I am as well not sure who or what keeps this bad info coming from the store. I know hw didnt OC at the OC lunch.