Thread: Please don't go to the shows if your going to carry like that.

Thumbs down Please don't go to the shows if your going to carry like that.

Sunday morning I watched a guy walk into the lobby of the showplace carrying a pistol, not in a holster, mag in the well and a finger on the trigger. The barrel moved around a lot as he talked to a few people and finally someone got close enough to asked him to uncover the trigger. Please THINK about what your doing; I would hope that it was not loaded ( rule #1 the gun is always loaded ) but you had 20 people looking for cover and had me covered center mass as you turned to talk to your friends.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Docgmt View Post
    Sunday morning I watched a guy walk into the lobby of the showplace carrying a pistol, not in a holster, mag in the well and a finger on the trigger. The barrel moved around a lot as he talked to a few people and finally someone got close enough to asked him to uncover the trigger. Please THINK about what your doing; I would hope that it was not loaded ( rule #1 the gun is always loaded ) but you had 20 people looking for cover and had me covered center mass as you turned to talk to your friends.

Did you post this on every discussion board you visit and Craigs List?
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Wish I saw this....I would have handed the guy a business card.

Sounds like he could have used it.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Where were the Henrico cops? (Yes, I know they are set up along the side wall, away from the main lobby area.)

Where were all the folks yelling "muzzle" or whatever the preferred term is when some jerk starts waving a gun around?

Where were the folks who should have been bringing the behavior and the magazine-inserted condition to the attention of either the cops or the promoter's staff?

I'm more in favor of, and personally inclined to, walking over, grabbing the arm doing the gun waving and hauling it high into the air while sharing a few well-chosen words with the person than I am to tattling to the cops or the promoter - but somebody should have been doing something besides ducking and dodging. Thanks to the person who asked him to take his finger off the trigger - and a few lashes with a wet noodle for not doing to sooner. Everybody else gets lashes and harsh words. The OP gets an extra helping of both.

Us keyboard kommandos have no way of knowing the intentions of the gun-waving idiot, but it seems those that were in attendance and knew of the situation decided not to draw down on the guy and create a circular firing squad. But only one person spoke up? Makes me want to assign the whole brigade of Keyboard Kommandos to KP duty. The only ones who were behaving even worse were those this jerk was talking with/to while waving his gun around.

Folks, we are all responsible for the safety of everybody else in a situation like that. If you are not willing to go tell the jerk to take his finger off the trigger and unload-and-make-safe then for goodness sake at least warn the rest of the crowd of the danger.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Don't get me wrong, muzzle direction and trigger finger discipline are important and shouldn't be ignored. However, didn't the gun show in question require all magazines to be removed from patrons' guns, and the actions zip tied? Such is usually the case these days.
    Last edited by Brian D.; 12-05-2011 at 07:54 PM.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian D. View Post
    Don't get me wrong, muzzle direction and trigger finger discipline are important and shouldn't be ignored. However, didn't the gun show in question require all magazines to be removed from patrons' guns, and the actions zip tied? Such is usually the case these days.
    He hadn't gotten that far I don't think Brian
    The gun was probably unloaded but there's an old saying.

You can have a man who couldn't hit the side of a barn from inside...

But he can bag Granny every time with the unloaded muzzleloader over the fireplace.

Good advice.

However, some will probably post that it was okay because the guy was just exercising his right to bear arms.

If you are going to carry...carry responsibly!
    Last edited by MilProGuy; 12-05-2011 at 10:08 PM.
    Proud Veteran ~ U.S. Army / Army Reserve

Mississippi State Guard ~ Honorably Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Brian D.
    At the show in question the signs say clearly "no loaded firearms or magazines". No good just removing the magazine, they expect all the ammunition removed from the magazine too. Actions were zip tied but only after you pay and receive your hand stamp. There is a fair sized lobby at the Showplace where you can wait indoors before entering and I suspect that's the area the muzzle waver was operating in.

Quote Originally Posted by MilProGuy View Post
    Good advice.

However, some will probably post that it was okay because the guy was just exercising his right to bear arms.

If you are going to carry...carry responsibly!
    From my understanding, your rights are no longer applicable when it endangers the lives of those around you. So no, I don't think anyone here is going to jump to this guy's defense. Nice try, though.

Quote Originally Posted by PistolPackingMomma View Post
    From my understanding, your rights are no longer applicable when it endangers the lives of those around you. So no, I don't think anyone here is going to jump to this guy's defense. Nice try, though.
    You are correct. Freedom ceases to be freedom when it infringes on another person's rights.

Personally, I think this guy was dumb as a sack of rocks for brandishing a weapon in public.
    Proud Veteran ~ U.S. Army / Army Reserve

Mississippi State Guard ~ Honorably Retired

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    He hadn't gotten that far I don't think Brian
    The gun was probably unloaded but there's an old saying.

You can have a man who couldn't hit the side of a barn from inside...

But he can bag Granny every time with the unloaded muzzleloader over the fireplace.
    Peter, did you just make that up? Be honest...
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post
    Peter, did you just make that up? Be honest...
    Nope, it's one of those things Mountain People mutter and can't remember where it came from. Kinda iike "handy as snuff in a rag" referring to people who used to sniff snuff which if you've never tried it...makes you sneeze.

I wonder if the moderator can adjust the title of the thread for appearances? Instead of your, maybe the mod can substitute you're which is the contraction of you are, whereas your shows ownership such as: your car, your keys, your mag is in your gun but if you are going to be an...
    Last edited by nuc65; 12-06-2011 at 07:06 AM.
    When I carry a gun, I don't do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I'm looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don't carry it because I'm afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid. It doesn't limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force.

excerpt By Marko Kloos (http://munchkinwrangler.wordpress.com/?s=major+caudill)

Quote Originally Posted by nuc65 View Post
    I wonder if the moderator can adjust the title of the thread for appearances? Instead of your, maybe the mod can substitute you're which is the contraction of you are, whereas your shows ownership such as: your car, your keys, your mag is in your gun but if you are going to be an...
    Nuc, pleeze don't get picky. This is OCDO not English 101.
    Its stoopid to worry about little stuff

Peter, you are correct. The guy was in the ticket area before you get to the Henrico cops, I was a good 50 feet away thinking one of the people standing there talking to him would have said something.

Peter, you are correct. The guy was in the ticket area before you get to the Henrico cops, I was a good 50 feet away thinking one of the people standing there talking to him would have said something.
    Reckless Handling of a Firearm and Brandishing come to mind. This seems far worse than Skid waving his "empty finger".
    A law-abiding citizen should be able to carry his personal protection firearm anywhere that an armed criminal might go.

Member VCDL, NRA

Nuc, pleeze don't get picky. This is OCDO not English 101.
    Its stoopid to worry about little stuff
    I wonder if the constitution would be the respected document it is today if the men that authored it didn't worry 'bout the stoopid little stuff? Although, given the confusion in the wording of the second amendment maybe they didn't worry enough?
    When I carry a gun, I don't do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I'm looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don't carry it because I'm afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid. It doesn't limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force.

excerpt By Marko Kloos (http://munchkinwrangler.wordpress.com/?s=major+caudill)

Quote Originally Posted by nuc65 View Post
    I wonder if the constitution would be the respected document it is today if the men that authored it didn't worry 'bout the stoopid little stuff? Although, given the confusion in the wording of the second amendment maybe they didn't worry enough?
    No...I think the problem is the anal people that interpreted it in later years.

No...I think the problem is the anal people that interpreted it in later years.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GNu7ldL1LM

Penn and Teller explain the second amendment... in 58 seconds.

Sent using tapatalk
    "A Right Un-exercised is a Right Lost"

"According to the law, [openly carrying] in a vehicle is against the law if the weapon is concealed" -Flamethrower (think about it....)

Carrying an XDm 9mm with Hornady Critical Defense hollowpoint. Soon to be carrying a Ruger along with it....

Quote Originally Posted by 2a4all View Post
    Reckless Handling of a Firearm and Brandishing come to mind. This seems far worse than Skid waving his "empty finger".
    Skid pointed that finger at me, I still have not recovered.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Baked on Grease View Post
    Penn and Teller explain the second amendment... in 58 seconds.
    And poorly, I might add. The militia is THE PEOPLE. The army which Gnl Washington and Co. engaged was not a militia. It was a professional, career military force armed by the government and to further the purposes of government.

The Continental Army was a Militia of the People and remains so. Despite being "codified" in the Constitution, it is an extra-Constitutional body of patriots whose allegiance is not to a government nor a flag, but to an ideal of sovereignty this country hasn't seen in 150 years.
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by wylde007 View Post
    And poorly, I might add. The militia is THE PEOPLE. The army which Gnl Washington and Co. engaged was not a militia. It was a professional, career military force armed by the government and to further the purposes of government.

The Continental Army was a Militia of the People and remains so. Despite being "codified" in the Constitution, it is an extra-Constitutional body of patriots whose allegiance is not to a government nor a flag, but to an ideal of sovereignty this country hasn't seen in 150 years.
    This will take it even farther OT than punctuation errors, but I got rained off my Deer stand twice this morning, so I drove back to the burbs to take care of some business.

The Tea Party had a big protest planned at the Capitol and I drove into the city to film it. I had to go to the Stock Brokers Office anyway.

That was a sad display of exercising their right to free speech. There was no defiance or threatening...just a handful of people holding signs and whining.

They're being audited by the city, they claim because they spoke out against Mayor Jones.
    They have a business license, even though they have no revenue or business, and that's what's being Audited.
    I asked why they got a business license and they said that was the only way to get a permit to protest. I asked why they bothered with a permit.

The answer....because we're supposed to have one.

We're DOOMED!

Quote Originally Posted by ProShooter View Post
    Wish I saw this....I would have handed the guy a business card.

Sounds like he could have used it.

Yeah... me too!
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

By the way, nothing I say on this website as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice, merely personal opinion. Everyone having a question regarding the application of law to the facts of their situation should seek the advice of an attorney competent in the subject matter of the issues presented and licensed to practice in the relevant state.