• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Please don't go to the shows if your going to carry like that.

Docgmt

Sunday morning I watched a guy walk into the lobby of the showplace carrying a pistol, not in a holster, mag in the well and a finger on the trigger. The barrel moved around a lot as he talked to a few people and finally someone got close enough to asked him to uncover the trigger. Please THINK about what your doing; I would hope that it was not loaded ( rule #1 the gun is always loaded ) but you had 20 people looking for cover and had me covered center mass as you turned to talk to your friends.

Marco

Sunday morning I watched a guy walk into the lobby of the showplace carrying a pistol, not in a holster, mag in the well and a finger on the trigger. The barrel moved around a lot as he talked to a few people and finally someone got close enough to asked him to uncover the trigger. Please THINK about what your doing; I would hope that it was not loaded ( rule #1 the gun is always loaded ) but you had 20 people looking for cover and had me covered center mass as you turned to talk to your friends.

Did you post this on every discussion board you visit and Craigs List?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Where were the Henrico cops? (Yes, I know they are set up along the side wall, away from the main lobby area.)

Where were all the folks yelling "muzzle" or whatever the preferred term is when some jerk starts waving a gun around?

Where were the folks who should have been bringing the behavior and the magazine-inserted condition to the attention of either the cops or the promoter's staff?

I'm more in favor of, and personally inclined to, walking over, grabbing the arm doing the gun waving and hauling it high into the air while sharing a few well-chosen words with the person than I am to tattling to the cops or the promoter - but somebody should have been doing something besides ducking and dodging. Thanks to the person who asked him to take his finger off the trigger - and a few lashes with a wet noodle for not doing to sooner. Everybody else gets lashes and harsh words. The OP gets an extra helping of both.

Us keyboard kommandos have no way of knowing the intentions of the gun-waving idiot, but it seems those that were in attendance and knew of the situation decided not to draw down on the guy and create a circular firing squad. But only one person spoke up? Makes me want to assign the whole brigade of Keyboard Kommandos to KP duty.:banghead: The only ones who were behaving even worse were those this jerk was talking with/to while waving his gun around.

Folks, we are all responsible for the safety of everybody else in a situation like that. If you are not willing to go tell the jerk to take his finger off the trigger and unload-and-make-safe then for goodness sake at least warn the rest of the crowd of the danger.

stay safe.

Brian D.

Don't get me wrong, muzzle direction and trigger finger discipline are important and shouldn't be ignored. However, didn't the gun show in question require all magazines to be removed from patrons' guns, and the actions zip tied? Such is usually the case these days.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Don't get me wrong, muzzle direction and trigger finger discipline are important and shouldn't be ignored. However, didn't the gun show in question require all magazines to be removed from patrons' guns, and the actions zip tied? Such is usually the case these days.

He hadn't gotten that far I don't think Brian
The gun was probably unloaded but there's an old saying.

You can have a man who couldn't hit the side of a barn from inside...

But he can bag Granny every time with the unloaded muzzleloader over the fireplace.

MilProGuy

Good advice.

However, some will probably post that it was okay because the guy was just exercising his right to bear arms.:uhoh:

If you are going to carry...carry responsibly!

Last edited:

scouser

Brian D. said:

At the show in question the signs say clearly "no loaded firearms or magazines". No good just removing the magazine, they expect all the ammunition removed from the magazine too. Actions were zip tied but only after you pay and receive your hand stamp. There is a fair sized lobby at the Showplace where you can wait indoors before entering and I suspect that's the area the muzzle waver was operating in.

PistolPackingMomma

Good advice.

However, some will probably post that it was okay because the guy was just exercising his right to bear arms.:uhoh:

If you are going to carry...carry responsibly!

From my understanding, your rights are no longer applicable when it endangers the lives of those around you. So no, I don't think anyone here is going to jump to this guy's defense. Nice try, though.

MilProGuy

From my understanding, your rights are no longer applicable when it endangers the lives of those around you. So no, I don't think anyone here is going to jump to this guy's defense. Nice try, though.

You are correct. Freedom ceases to be freedom when it infringes on another person's rights.

Personally, I think this guy was dumb as a sack of rocks for brandishing a weapon in public.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
He hadn't gotten that far I don't think Brian
The gun was probably unloaded but there's an old saying.

You can have a man who couldn't hit the side of a barn from inside...

But he can bag Granny every time with the unloaded muzzleloader over the fireplace.

Peter, did you just make that up? Be honest...

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Peter, did you just make that up? Be honest...

Nope, it's one of those things Mountain People mutter and can't remember where it came from.:lol: Kinda iike "handy as snuff in a rag" referring to people who used to sniff snuff which if you've never tried it...makes you sneeze.:uhoh:

nuc65

Activist Member
I wonder if the moderator can adjust the title of the thread for appearances? Instead of your, maybe the mod can substitute you're which is the contraction of you are, whereas your shows ownership such as: your car, your keys, your mag is in your gun but if you are going to be an...

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I wonder if the moderator can adjust the title of the thread for appearances? Instead of your, maybe the mod can substitute you're which is the contraction of you are, whereas your shows ownership such as: your car, your keys, your mag is in your gun but if you are going to be an...

Nuc, pleeze don't get picky. This is OCDO not English 101.:banghead:
Its stoopid to worry about little stuff

Docgmt

Peter, you are correct. The guy was in the ticket area before you get to the Henrico cops, I was a good 50 feet away thinking one of the people standing there talking to him would have said something.

2a4all

Peter, you are correct. The guy was in the ticket area before you get to the Henrico cops, I was a good 50 feet away thinking one of the people standing there talking to him would have said something.
Reckless Handling of a Firearm and Brandishing come to mind. This seems far worse than Skid waving his "empty finger".

nuc65

Activist Member
Nuc, pleeze don't get picky. This is OCDO not English 101.:banghead:
Its stoopid to worry about little stuff

I wonder if the constitution would be the respected document it is today if the men that authored it didn't worry 'bout the stoopid little stuff? Although, given the confusion in the wording of the second amendment maybe they didn't worry enough?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I wonder if the constitution would be the respected document it is today if the men that authored it didn't worry 'bout the stoopid little stuff? Although, given the confusion in the wording of the second amendment maybe they didn't worry enough?

No...I think the problem is the anal people that interpreted it in later years.