• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question about transferring firearm ownership

dashraider

My apologies since this is not an Open Carry question.

I had a long 2 hour debate amongst friends who recently took an "Intro to Fireams" class for their CHP.

According to their instructor ...

In Virginia, one does not need to "register" a firearm. Only a background check during a purchase in a business establishment.

Also if I wanted to private sell or give my gun to my neighbor, all I need to do is write on paper saying that Mr Neighbor now owns the gun. I just need to sign &date without notorizing it.

Does this sound right?

:confused:

BillHoo

I believe you can do that. If you've had the firearm for a while and decided you didn't want it anymore, or need some cash.

I just wouldn't do it a lot.

It becomes illegal if I knew my neighbor had restrictions on buying a firearm himself and asked me to buy it for him. Or if you buy a bunch of guns and sell to people in a state where there are tighter restrictions.

The term straw sale comes in to play:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_purchase

In the United States, straw purchases are a felony violation of the Gun Control Act of 1968 for both the straw purchaser (who can also be charged with lying on Federal Form 4473) and the ultimate possessor. One of the questions on Form 4473 is “I am the buyer of this firearm” and the purchaser must answer honestly yes or no, by checking the appropriate box in ink. However, purchase of a firearm as a bona fide gift for someone who can legally own such a firearm is permitted.[1]

Last edited:

roscoe13

Campaign Veteran
My apologies since this is not an Open Carry question.

I had a long 2 hour debate amongst friends who recently took an "Intro to Fireams" class for their CHP.

According to their instructor ...

In Virginia, one does not need to "register" a firearm. Only a background check during a purchase in a business establishment.

Also if I wanted to private sell or give my gun to my neighbor, all I need to do is write on paper saying that Mr Neighbor now owns the gun. I just need to sign &date without notorizing it.

Does this sound right?

:confused:

For a private transfer, no paperwork is required at all. You do need to not have any reason to believe the recipient is prohibited from owning a firearm....

Roscoe

wylde007

You don't need any documentation unless you wish to keep a record. There is no law requiring it.

Of course, a savvy person who sells any item having a marketable value should produce a bill-of-sale. That's just good business...

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA